ADVICE NEEDED

ghamilton

I posted this in the digital section and no one cared to help. Maybe someone here can help.
I am into vinyl and really don't know that much about digital.
My question is:...What component do I need that would perform as good as a good audiophile CD player, but instead of playing CD,s you download your music in a high quality format (ie NOT mp3).
This would go into a hi quality audiophile system. The speakers are Vandersteen .
A starting price for basic unit.
Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance. daaaa

I use my Thinkpad computers with USB sound cards from Turtle Beach, but there are many other makers of USB cards.

I use my Thinkpad computers with USB sound cards from Turtle Beach, but there are many other makers of USB cards.

i used to play from my pc thru a usb sound card
then bought a dac.

now its from a couple terabyte hdd's to the pc usb to usb dac to amp
the pc has no moving parts except the fan
the internal hdd's are ssd, 3 of them
the external drives are sata and have moving parts

FYI a reason you didnt get an answer in digital might be because your question is VERY open ended IMO.

It would be helpful to know what your after. Is the source going to be a computer with the files on it? Are you after a stereo component that also stores the files and plays them and outputs the audio signal?
This would narrow answers ALLOT.

Also have you ripped your CD collection already? Are you using files youve downloaded and plan to get more?

Are the files in an Apple only format? What is the files type if you know?

Not trying to bombard you with technical questions to be a jerk. Its simply what you ask has hundreds of possible answers. You simply need to narrow what your trying to accomplish in order for folks to be able to help you.

Also if you could give an idea of what youd budget for such a toy. Again so many options at wide price points.

All the best

For downloading and playing digital files or streams from the net you need a device with computing power as well as audio power. Although there are a number of devices that will do the job for you the ones you should be looking at are computers for a home system or smart phone for portable. Computers used to come with some really crappy sound card circuits built in and earned a well deserved reputation as crap, however on at least some of the motherboards out there that has changed. They now are using the same chips as the best of the sound cards so they have equal performance. The real limiting comes from the analog performance once the file has been converted to analog. In general, the closer to the speakers you can get that conversion the better. Since you already have the analog system, the conversion must take place before the existing amp.

I would start looking at some of the various computer motherboards and looking at the specs on their sound card circuits. Some of them have signal to noise ratios better then 100 dB and distortion figures so low that measuring the level becomes the challenge. Then build or find a computer system built around the board of your choice. Use the audio in/outs on that for a while. If that doesn't please then you can always add an external DAC later.

Shelly_D

I went with the USB card because every time I moved my mouse the internal sound card would make a slight buzz. With the USB card, all of that went away.

starting off and being in times where there are dozens of new devices, it would be super prudent
to "optimize" your spend.

if you have a computer, use the network to buy/download hi res stuff. then all you need is a
USB DAC - there are hundreds to choose from. about $100 are the dragonflys. older
and the two new ones. or the older DACs with 5 inputs, headphones, and dual outputs
(one tube the other SS). again under $100 for used and a little bit over if new.

so if your budget is $1000 spend most of it on the music.

note that there are about a dozen DAC chip vendors that are constantly competing with new
products. then there are hundreds of units using these DACs.

I like the DAPs that compete even more heavily for the mobile crowd. there are great ones
with great DACs (AKM for example) and run about $120. some can play PCM (way past CD
resolutions) and even SACD (in the form of DSD). some have dual SD cards for major storage
and some have optical connectors for your amp/receiver.

I am a firm believer that any audio equipment you buy will not be your last (like cars)
and will be replaced in time so your first foray should be low-cost, a learning experience,
and excite you to

enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom