Akai GX-630D

306Prairie

Just acquired one of these units today in a deal where I was after the receiver...found a manual online and hooked up a few reels it came with. Pretty cool unit and the reels I'm listening to now seem to be from mid 60's, radio in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

This seems to be a good model from the very limited research I've done, any advice on this unit? I am only getting one channel out of the sound and am looking into that now. Volume seems to change out of nowhere as well as the speed, seems to slow down all of a sudden for no reason.

Kind of a neat find though, has a Uriah Heep reel I wanna give a try when I get my ducks in a row :)

Good find-congrats.

First thing to do-get some good contact cleaner and clean ALL switches and potentiometers by spraying a small amount directly into the control, then switching/turning the control vigorously 25 times. DeOxit is the most suggested product.

The challenge is getting to any available opening on the control. I bought extra long straws to get the cleaner only where it's needed. Never spray broadly into the machine.

Wipe up any excess.

The vast majority of the issues you noted are the result of oxidation inside the control.

Lots of model specific info in these forums to help you.

Your machine is built like a tank. No belts to fail, good motors, and strong performance in good operating condition.

Last edited:
^^ This. You will get lots of advice regarding replacing transistors and re-capping this deck while a detailed, thorough cleaning, deoxidation, and lubrication (following removal of old dry grease) often takes care of the majority of issues. Make very sure those heads are completely cleaned (you can use Naphtha or lighter fluid if IPA isn't enough). Thats the only advice I can offer....get deep into it before you start messing with electronics. That said, if you experience excessive channel noise, you are likely dealing with bad transistors (look for blackened leads on these).
There are several submodels of this deck:
GX-630D: Quarter track stereo, 3 3/4 & 7 1/2 ips.
GX-630D-B: with integral Dolby B noise reduction.
GX-630D-SS: 4 track, 4 channel quadraphonic stereo, 3 3/4 & 7 1/2 ips.
GX-630D PRO: Half track stereo, 7 1/2 & 15 ips.
Which do you have? I've always been on the lookout for a Pro model but no luck to date.
Either way, this deck is worth putting time into...it's a keeper.
I say this as a big Akai reel deck fan (I own many). They were truly an innovator. Decks with glass heads, bi-directional recording, wireless remote control, built-in dolby noise reduction, EE tape compatibility, auto-loading...they tried everything, some wins, some fails, but you gotta love the effort.

Last edited:
AKAI decks are famous for the 2SC458 transistors, that become noisy. I'd say it's a regular maintenance to replace all the 2SC458 with a newer transistor like the KSC1845. I have right now in front of me 2 AKAI decks with that same problem, too much noise, both fitted with 2SC458 (a GX-600DB and a GX-265D)

There are several threads about this topic here in AK and also on the Internet.

Perhaps your bad channel is related to this too. I've fixed a GX-4000 last year and the problem was a bad 2sc458. I'd start replacing all the 2sc458.

Deep clean the heads, just in case.

AKAI decks are famous for the 2SC458 transistors, that become noisy. I'd say it's a regular maintenance to replace all the 2SC458 with a newer transistor like the KSC1845. I have right now in front of me 2 AKAI decks with that same problem, too much noise, both fitted with 2SC458 (a GX-600DB and a GX-265D)

There are several threads about this topic here in AK and also on the Internet.

Perhaps your bad channel is related to this too. I've fixed a GX-4000 last year and the problem was a bad 2sc458. I'd start replacing all the 2sc458.

Deep clean the heads, just in case.

Should have put DEEP CLEAN in caps. My 635D was in terrible shape when I first got a hold of it. Cleaning the heads was really all it needed, and I mean scrubbing them. It took maybe 5 cleanings before I achieved acceptable recording and playback on all the channels. I also bought a demagnetizer and use it regularly. They are not expensive.

You'll see advice about using De-Oxit, but as that is next to impossible to find in this part of Canada, I suggest getting hold of some MG chemicals Super Contact Cleaner which does about the same job. It's available from a guy in Edmonton. Can't remember the name of the store but it's south of Costco on 149th St in a strip mall. Sterling, I think is the name. You can probably get it in GP anyway.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice. There is considerable noise during playback so I would think you are all right in some preventative maintenance being needed. I will check our local electrical store for some DeOx as I have a few units that could benefit from a good clean. Oh - it is the 630D model. Cheers!

Following this thread as I have a 630 that I need to service. Everything works but one channel is weak. Haven't sprayed deoxit or cleaned/demagnetized the heads, but I suspect that the caps need to be replaced. Glad I found you guys!

Dear All,

I need your help. I am in a dilemma, I am in the middle of purchasing another Reel to Reel machine to my collection and I am confused and cannot really find much onto which is better than which or which is suggested to be better. Maybe you guys can help me take the decision. This is between the Akai 600db or 630d. Cosmetically I must admit that one is in better shape than the other. But the seller told me that both are in good technical condition. Can I have your feedback please? I appreciate some replies so that I can take the decision before I lose both of them.

I'd vote for the GX-630D since it has a direct, rather than belt driven capstan, push-button rather than lever action controls, and better overall performance specifications.

The 600 is older, if I'm not mistaken. Age is a factor, as they didn't design them with 40 years of use in mind. My 630D was a very reliable deck - still is. I would grab a 600 if one came up at a good price.

Hey Jonny thanks for your reply but you have still left me indecisive to be honest , both models are being sold to me at 400euro, which model you think is worth that price please ?

They're both more alike than different. The 630D CAN have transistor rot, but not always(google akai transistor rot). They're not expensive, but you would have to find somebody to replace them. At 40+ years old, they both could need some professional service in the future; tha's part of this hobby. You are probably over-stressing the decision. If you can do a trial recording, pick the one that sounds best, otherwise, pick the one with the least wear on the erase head( Glass heads won't visually indicate wear).

They're both more alike than different. The 630D CAN have transistor rot, but not always(google akai transistor rot). They're not expensive, but you would have to find somebody to replace them. At 40+ years old, they both could need some professional service in the future; tha's part of this hobby. You are probably over-stressing the decision. If you can do a trial recording, pick the one that sounds best, otherwise, pick the one with the least wear on the erase head( Glass heads won't visually indicate wear).
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated, unfortunately I am in Malta and the items are in Holland, I will go with the 630d since it might have the less chance to need repairs since it is direct drive. or is the 600db direct drive? also the 600db has dolby but mainly I will be using these machines to play other than record.

Hey Guys, I have received my Akai 630D but unfortunately it was damaged in transit. Maybe someone can help me please. The reel locks have been damaged badly and could barely insert a reel. Does anyone have any idea on how these can be fixed or replace please?

Back
Top Bottom