What is your occupation?

Retired semiconductor engineer (equipment and process). Presently tutoring Koreans in English (over the internet) and fixing vintage audio for fun.

A retired chef who now cooks for his family. 5 cheese macaroni and hanger steak and pomme frites (French fries) is the usual. I do try steak tartare and endive salad from time to time however. They do love my gribenes and smoked goose breast.

Retired procurement & contracts professional with some time as a civil engineering and construction project manager.

Spent most of my 40 + year career in the electric utility industry with some short stints in logging, lumber, small County government and 4 years in the USAF.

Professional geologist. Spent 13 years in the mining industry exploring for and mining titanium and zircon mineral sands, and 18 years in the environmental field involved mostly in soil and groundwater contamination assessment and remediation. I've worked stints in consulting, industry, and the government. Currently the Petroleum Programs Manager for a local government running contracts to conduct petroleum storage tank compliance inspections (prevention and early detection) and to provide technical/financial management of cleanups at petroleum-contaminated sites. I have about 9 more years to retirement.

Currently Wine Club Manager at a winery specializing in premium Pinot Noir.

In a previous career (and now in my spare time) professional photographer

I have been a machinery vibration Technician/ Analyst for 40 years (non-degreed, knuckle-dragger) at a major refinery. Vibration/ music... same thing, similar tools. Love'em both.

Over the road specialized trucker. Primarily aircraft components over dimensional long, wide , tall. I recommend you to send your kids for higher education. We make a good living but its the exception and takes many years. I am currently off for eye surgery and home. Wife is keeping the wheels turning. Me more so my turntables at the moment

Retired from loco school district after 30 years of site maintenance work, we did everything and anything plow snow ,landscaping, cement work, welding, repair and maintain all mowing and plow equipment. Every fall I'd tune and repair 120 snow blowers for all the schools, and I still do for them part time also line strip all parking lots and play grounds games . Enjoying wood working at home building in door and out door furniture and listening to music like everyone here.

Last edited:
I got my B.A. in Theater, in College. I was mostly an actor, but when I could not get Acting roles, I would do tech jobs in the two school theaters. I was one of the few that could figure out the Dukane sound system in the main theater. What a POS, with a huge patch panel which was un-marked and stayed that way (job security). I knew I would not be an actor for my occupation, because to seriously do that, you would need to move to NYC or LA. That was not going to happen to me. I was also the head photographer for the Yearbook for 3 years and luckily my skill at that kept me in small money when I graduated in 1974. At that time, I could not get a job doing anything in Orlando.

Finally, in 1976, I got a job for theater technicians at a new theme park opening in the area, Circus World, which was being started by Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey. It was set to open in May 1976 and I started work in March. I worked in the circus theater as spot operator, sound tech, lighting tech, and stage manager, it was a great place to learn. I joined the International Alliance of Theater Stage Employees, The stage tech's union. I was wooed by the union members to quit the Circus and become the head electrician at the Bob Carr Performing Center that had reopened in 1978 after a full rehab job. I did not think I was qualified, but the members pressed me and I took the job.

I started as the HE in the Summer of 1980. Except for a short stint as assistant electrician on a Broadway tour of "Sugar Babies" for sixteen weeks in 1981. I worked at the BC theater until I retired in 2014. I was in the theater business for 38 years.

The work was oftentimes brutal. I had been known to work 18 hours a day up to 6 weeks without a day off. The constant walking on the concrete, stairs and ladder work tore my knees up. I was smart to start an IRA when I was 27. This enabled me to retire at 62. I was beat and was ready to get out. I had a lot of fun working hundreds of Broadway, Opera, Ballet and rock concert over the years. I had met many Stars and artists and worked with them for all those years, including circus Stars too. Of all the greats that I worked with, Donald O'Connor was my favorite and Mikey Rooney was my least favorite. The pay was way less than New York or Washington D.C. electricians would make. Half of my time there we had not the benefits of retirement of health. I did lighting design for the Ballet, the Opera, the Miss Florida competition, and a large handful of local dance schools. This extra work brought in some good money over the years.

The other thing I liked about my job was that it died in the Summer and I would move to a fish camp on the WestCoast of Florida and spend the Summer fishing, boating and spearfishing for grouper (my favorite) and a true challenge to catch or spear.

I'm retired now but can't keep up with keeping my boat in condition and all the work that goes with it. I gave the boat to my Son-in-Law and when/if he gets it back on it feet, I can show him where the grouper are. Sorry for being so long winded. I just felt saying Head Electrician just wasn't going to get it. Sometime later I'll talk about getting my Coast Guard's Captain License with a plan to become a fishing/spearfishing guide and quit the theater business.

Back
Top Bottom