What does the RS mean?

mufster

I have two cd players that have RS after the model number. CDX-1100 RS. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is?

Thanks.

There is a remote on the bay. Yamaha RS-CD100 Digital Remote for CDX-1100.
So Remote Sensor as mentioned above is on point.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.PNG
    IMG_2768.PNG
    320.3 KB · Views: 9
It's System Remote. We used to say it was remote system to customers, but the actual official Yamaha designation from all the Reference Guides is "System Remote"

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1953 (Large).JPG

IMG_1956 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Here's the price list with the following model in it, the CDX-1110 in Australian dollars. They were not discounted back then due to the exclusivity.

scan164.jpg

Pioneer has 'SR' - system remote
Onkyo had 'RI' - remote integration now called remote interactive
Sony had 'R' - remote
There were others.

Much of the Yamaha early RS was done with one receiver and multipin plug ribbon cables of different sizes for different pieces of gear linking them up. I've got a boxful someplace because many receivers/amps came with up to three or four in the box. As time went on, they just put an IR receiver in most pieces of gear further up the range and either shipped it with a remote or charged extra for one if you wanted say, a cassette deck remote.

Thanks everyone. I kind of guessed it was related to 'remote control', but my head was expecting RC. I also thought it might be 'real sound'. However, 'Real sexy' works well. I have to say I didn't buy into my car mad sons theory it meant 'rally sport'.

One thing is for certain. These big heavy Yamaha cd players are just so nice.

Back
Top Bottom