IMF owners thread!

Hi,so the fact for these tweeter's install lower of the midranges have no effect on the dispersion compare to the old way,later in the production,it was very professionnal the way IMF use to send all info's for their top of the line speaker's.Lucky you the owner kept everything,nice.

The sound is different. The speakers is maybe making a little smaller sound image, but the depth of the image is really nice. You can imagine instruments waayyy behind the speakers.
Never heard speakers that play instruments so lifelike that they do.

Hey all,

I reported a while ago that I scored some early IMF "The Studio's". Currently using them and they sound great, but planning a restore as soon as the weather warms up enough to repair and re-finish the cabinets.

One big hurdle is going to be the stuffing. Somewhere in the past someone removed the original wool stuffing and put in dacron, polyester, or some variation on cheap pillow stuffing. (why? Fleas? Moths? Mice?)

Flash forward to this weekend and a chance visit to the GF's friend's country house (I think she took me out there to meet them and see if they approve). Well, by the time I left I had a Hefty bag full of sheared wool off of one of their sheep. Basically I got one full fleece worth of wool.

I know I have to wash it and do some processing before I can just stuff it into the cabinets.

Questions for other IMF owners....

-About how much wool goes into each speaker (by weight, density, or ???)?

-Is there any difference how you stuff different areas of the internals? I've attached a cut away drawing that seems to indicate by shading that there are different densities. Can anyone give me guidance here?

-How much do I want to tease the wool out? It's pretty dense now and after washing I expect it will still be pretty dense.

The Studio cutaway.jpg

Hello everybody.
My name is François.
I bought 2 TLS 50 yesterday and guess what but the mid's was changed for a Jamo 21343 ??
Well I don't know what TLS 50 version is, I guess It's a mix !
So pictures here:

IMG_7716.jpg IMG_7715.jpg IMG_7717.jpg IMG_7732.jpg IMG_7723.jpg IMG_7721.jpg IMG_7731.jpg IMG_7729.jpg IMG_7719.jpg IMG_7718.jpg

eGRC82sFTV6XZlhXB2VgoQ.jpg

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but confident some of you will be able to help me.

Just got myself a Pioneer AS-606 amp and thought it would pair well with a set of IMF ALS40's I had left on my attic over 15 years ago.
The speakers are actually in worse condition than I imagined them in:
Mids and bass units replaced by something 'inappropriate'; tweeters have white oxidation (maybe no problem); sub-bass units original.
The cabinets are still good, and an ideal basis for a remake.

Here are my questions:
1. Which mid and bass units should I consider to replace the missing originals ?
2. Where can I find those ?
3. Any comment on the white oxidation on the tweeters (see pictures) ? Something I should worry about ? Can I take the tweeters apart and clean the metal plate separately?
4. Is it OK to leave the sub-bass units as they are, or should I best replace those as well to achieve best performance ?
5. Should I consider updating the crossovers ?
6. Regarding cabinets: can I remove the front plate (in which the drivers are screwed) and replace it with an MDF plate ? (what material is used to 'seal' the front plate to the side plates ? There are 6 screws, 3 each side. If I remove these, will it be difficult to detach the plate from the sealing-material ?)

(reason for Q6: I'd like to have the front plate visible (without the covers) and prefer to have it in high gloss black, which is only possible on MDF)

Thanks a lot in advance for any expert comment that you can provide me with !

Kind regards from Belgium,
Pascal.

Hi, the front baffle is glue, you can't remove it without breaking it,remove all the units (STW, TW,MID,WOOFER), cover the holes, buy car spray primer with finishing putty inside.just to do small sanding an spray with black semi-gloss or in glossy finish.For the tweeter,mask the dome, take out the 4 screws plate shouldn't move ( sand it gently, do not to touch black silicone track and end point,if you can not achieve good finish use same car finishing primer,light sending an paint black.The mid buy Falcon accoustics "Monacor" or get original EMI mids used (ebay)(or contact me if you want or some AKER member have it).Best regards,Yvan.

Hi,for the woofer,it is an original peerless ? with W shape surround instead of round rubber surround? Can be replace with Kef sp10 14, or keep as it is.

Hi all

I was lucky enough to come across a pair of IMF super compact speakers that appeared to be untouched with original drivers. I ordered new audax tw025a0 tweeters and the capacitor replacement set for the crossovers. When I removed the crossovers (which were very well glued to the foam) it looked very different to the crossovers I am coming across on the net. I emailed falcon acoustics and they informed me that the crossovers are Radford fn8? Has anyone ever come across this happening with their IMFs ?
Would they be ok to use?

Or should i hunt for a set of original super compact crossover's. Anyone know of a pair by any chance?

Attachments

• ymail-tmp--1536664400.jpg
    ymail-tmp--1536664400.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34
  • ymail-tmp-357074448.jpg
    ymail-tmp-357074448.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 35
Hi, someone have change the x-over, what is the value of caps, I have couple of IMF original board I send a woofer to an IMF electronics member and he pay me by sending me couple of old x-overs, maybe from super compact not sure,I have to verify.Best regards,Yvan.

Here is a picture of the super compact. I would be happy to swap the Cross overs with anyone who has the ones I need. The elcaps are 12MFD 50v and 60MFD 50v.

Attachments

• ymail-tmp-905915742.jpg
    ymail-tmp-905915742.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180218_073302.jpg
    IMG_20180218_073302.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi all

I was lucky enough to come across a pair of IMF super compact speakers that appeared to be untouched with original drivers. I ordered new audax tw025a0 tweeters and the capacitor replacement set for the crossovers. When I removed the crossovers (which were very well glued to the foam) it looked very different to the crossovers I am coming across on the net. I emailed falcon acoustics and they informed me that the crossovers are Radford fn8? Has anyone ever come across this happening with their IMFs ?
Would they be ok to use?

Or should i hunt for a set of original super compact crossover's. Anyone know of a pair by any chance?

I have a set that need to be recapped which I can do for you. Send me a PM

Hi All,

Does anybody have either a blown T2100 Tweeter or the perforated front grille from one spare. I need it to finish off my HPCM's where one is missing.

This is not to be confused with the Celestion HF2000 tweeter which looks similar but is a tad smaller.

The T2100 was used in the later produced SM, PM, HPCM, RSPM Mk VII, SACM, after IMF finished up with Celestion and KEF drivers.

If you have one spare, please get in contact with me via a PM.

Cheers,
M.

Hi, Im a new member with a set of IMF Super Compacts Ive owned for round 30+ years!
I'd appreciate some advice or tips from some perhaps more analytical audiophiles on my planned upgrade.
I'm about to refurb the IMF's with new caps & tweeters (audax rectangukar) i did the driver foams a few years ago.
They have served well but Ive had mediocre receivers and in process of deciding on either replacing with 2nd hand gear: a Linn Classik receiver or a NAD AV receiver, any opinions on which will be best sound?
The Linn has a cd player, my current cd player is an everyday pioneer and my dvd player is a LG with 500GB hard drive (i recorded at least 20 world cup games in hi-res!)
I play mix of acoustic guitar, rock, smooth jazz, opera , piano etc.
Both units between 3-400
In addition to refurb my IMFs and upgrading amplification I'm considering building a pair of IMF TLS50 or similar, I owned a pair of TLS50 copies for a week in Bris 35 years ago, in my ignorance I thought they were faulty because my Luxman receiver couldnt drive them so i sent them back to the seller - ongoing regrets - they were well made i just didnt understand the Luxman was a mediocre piece of gear. Anyhow, any reccomendations on which IMF copy would suit the amps I'm looking at as a 2nd pair of spkrs in a surround sound setup?
Thanks for your interest.
John
Nth Qld
Australia

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

Mk I or II ? I gather Mk I by your earlier posts. I do have a spare set but they are in rather poor shape and will require some work.

Let me know

Back
Top Bottom