Good for a laugh!

Bill Ashton

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
sdd3PUp.jpg

Back in the day I bought a new Les Paul Standard cherry sunburst and it wasn't a light weight either (21LBS).

Well, that explains the back problems!
'79 Les Paul standard sunburst here...not anymore though.
Sold it about a year before the prices went through the roof.
My crappy luck:mad:

For the record, my LP was also a 79. ;) My lead player at the time had a Les Paul Custom (Natural finish) that was 2 lbs heavier than mine and he was a little guy. My right shoulder started to throb after about 3 hours. At the time I was 6' 2" and about 170 bs. Dale's old lady got him a BC Rich for Christmas and I ended up with an Ibanez RoadstarII (cherry sunburst of course ;) ) A lot easier to have strapped on your shoulder for 4 hours a night. I can't play anymore (stroke) but I still have it.

Ha ha,me and my old guitar player used to suffer together.He played a Les Paul,I played an Alembic. By the end of our shows we'd both be walking like The Hunchback of Notre Dame :(

I had a '55 Goldtop that was quite confortable for up to a couple of hours. While not as comfortable as my LP Special (single cutaway), LP Juniors (single & double cutaway models), nor certainly my '62 SG Special, the lightest-weight electric I've ever owned, the '55 GT Lester wasn't bad.

But during my geetar wheelin 'n' dealin years, I hoisted some monsters, esp. those circa '75 "Clown Burst" Lesters. LP Customs of that era were also effin' heavy. In the final analysis, my own main players were a '63 Stratocaster and the previously cited '62 SG Special: light, bouyant, lively, woodie tones both.

I recall having a Ric 360 (6 string variant) around for a spell, a '67 or '68, and that sucker was no lightweight champ. Also had about the most narrow nut I've ever played, or, more accurately, made myself play.

No way, a heavy Les Paul is 10-12 pounds. You've got those numbers backwards.
I beg to differ with you but I'd bet my Ibanez weighs at least 10-12 lbs and it's a LOT lighter than my LP was. ;). Perhaps our method of weighing said LP's was not as accurate as it could have been. Me standing on bathroom scale=170 lbs, me standing on bathroom scale with my LP=191 lbs. I wish I could stand on the scale now and be under 200 lbs. ;)

Ah, you're all a bunch of wusses. Actually, I have to concur. I not only like the resonance of a lightweight guitar, it's much better on the ol back. Though I still pull out the Goldtop from time to time. I remember we laughed our asses off when my buddy showed up to practice with one of those "harness" straps so he could continue playing his Ampeg acrylic wonder. Which was one heavy mutha. Then of course there's this which ol Rick has still been playing well into his "old age". Maybe he has stock in ibuprofen? ;-J

rick-neilson-5-neck.jpg
I'm kinda' curious what's on that sucker.
I see a 12 string and a fret-less neck but what's up with the other three?
Different tuning's maybe?

...wonder if it's made from balsa?:biggrin:

Ah, you're all a bunch of wusses. Actually, I have to concur. I not only like the resonance of a lightweight guitar, it's much better on the ol back. Though I still pull out the Goldtop from time to time. I remember we laughed our asses off when my buddy showed up to practice with one of those "harness" straps so he could continue playing his Ampeg acrylic wonder. Which was one heavy mutha. Then of course there's this which ol Rick has still been playing well into his "old age". Maybe he has stock in ibuprofen? ;-J

rick-neilson-5-neck.jpg

At the Fender booth at the 2018 Winter NAMM Show. Checkmate. ;)...

fender-9-neck-e-gitarre-e-bass-namm-2018-770x425.jpg

Last edited:
Structurally, building this monster was a bit of a chore,
Imagine the stress of all of those strings pulling on the body--that is a lot of pressure! This is why the frames in good pianos are so heavy and thick--the pressure of all 88 keys (all of which have three strings each, far as I remember) is incredible.

The Pikasso (built by luthier Linda Manzer for guitarist Pat Metheny) has 42 strings and reportedly around 1,000 pounds of pressure from said strings. For the purposes of this thread, it weighs over 14 pounds.

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om23350.html

upload_2018-2-20_10-31-20.png

I would guess that the 5-necked guitar would have 600-700 pounds of pressure between all the strings. I'd hate to be in the same room if it ever cracked. :D

Back
Top Bottom