Mindhunterson Netflix

No idea. I didn't even think about the gear because I was intrigued by those very short still photo clips.
Found this on YouTube that reveals more of those images.

Link for those wondering about the gear...

What did you think about the series? I found it very interesting and binge watched it over a couple nights. It's very "expository" - lots of talking and not a lot of action, but that's OK by me. The interviews with serial killers are a real treat.

No idea. I didn't even think about the gear because I was intrigued by those very short still photo clips.
Found this on YouTube that reveals more of those images.

Link for those wondering about the gear...

What did you think about the series? I found it very interesting and binge watched it over a couple nights. It's very "expository" - lots of talking and not a lot of action, but that's OK by me. The interviews with serial killers are a real treat.
I love this series - even more than I thought I was going to like it. I am not sure if it is because of the plot or the content ie period cars, gear, etc...I did notice they seem to flip between a Thunderbird and a cougar quite a bit.

Yeah - the period correct cars, decor, etc. is all pretty good and lends a nice "feel" to the series. As for cars - I think the guys drive Rental Cars all the time when they are out on the road, or they pull something from the local FBI office motor pool.

Yeah - the period correct cars, decor, etc. is all pretty good and lends a nice "feel" to the series. As for cars - I think the guys drive Rental Cars all the time when they are out on the road, or they pull something from the local FBI office motor pool.
That and detective Hench's wicked awesome blacked out digital gold-tone watch.

I love this series! You know the characters are based on real FBI agents who started doing behavioral analysis? There's an episode where they start using the term serial killer... all this was very cutting edge at the time.

https://www.inverse.com/article/372...a-true-story-how-the-fbi-sparked-a-crime-show
I think this very truth is the biggest reason I love this series. Can you imagine proposing "psychology" to a bunch of guys from "Mad Men"? What a challenge that must have been. Also, how do you limit the words a person can use? lol.

^^^ Oh, yeah. I forgot that battle about what words could be used and the one over the "professionalism" that had to be portrayed by FBI Agents. Don't worry about RESULTS - just act right and speak in approved ways! Good point.

Holden Ford was a portrayal of real FBI agent, and father of Profiling, John Douglas. Gideon and Rossi from Criminal Minds were also based off of him. I loved this show, and can't wait until the next season.

I think this very truth is the biggest reason I love this series. Can you imagine proposing "psychology" to a bunch of guys from "Mad Men"? What a challenge that must have been. Also, how do you limit the words a person can use? lol.

Great show, we are 1/2-way through. My wife were talking about how profiling, a term we all understand intuitively now, was brand new in the 80s. I think the first time I recall it was Manhunter (1986) then it was driven home in The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Now it's just there like a smart phone, tech most did not use until the mid-00s.

Anyone challenged themselves to identify the gear used for the intro?
Like you, I was very curious about that beautiful reel-to-reel used in the opening credits. I found this online:

The reel to reel tape recorder featured in the opening credits (and later in the series) is based on the Sony TC-510-2. It is not a real recorder, but rather a prop, custom-built to an extremely high standard of finish. The portable cassette recorder later used in season 1 is a Sony TC-D5. The cassette machine used in the Quantico basement office is a Nakamichi 550 portable cassette deck.

Like you, I was very curious about that beautiful reel-to-reel used in the opening credits. I found this online:

The reel to reel tape recorder featured in the opening credits (and later in the series) is based on the Sony TC-510-2. It is not a real recorder, but rather a prop, custom-built to an extremely high standard of finish.

This seems far fetched at best, why would they do that when they could just use the real thing? It would probably cost more than an entire episodes budget to do that.

Oh really? Why not take the time to read through this little forum thread. The guy who built that machine's handle is "kcpstudio". His entries will tell you all you need to know.

Thank you for the link, but what it says is "I scratch built 40% of an existing machine" so he started with an original machine and made it prettier for the camera, still an impressive feat but I was thinking he built it from raw materials.

Back
Top Bottom