Vintage Thorens TD-165 Turntable for Restoration

Well I have completed the first stage of the restoration of Thorens number 3. Instead of sourcing a bloody expensive plastic 45 rpm adapter for this table (didn't come with one), I chose a much different tact. I simply reverse engineered one I had and built one all by my lonesome. I recently bought a 3D Printer for $199 Cdn on Black Friday and delved into 3D modeling head first with no prior experience save being a bit handy with a computer and various GIS applications and imagery/video kinda stuff. Anyway here was my very first attempt at it - I must say I didn't think it would turn out so well so I didn't even bother changing my PLA spool to a less vibrant colour. Here is how it turned out: https://timothyflath.smugmug.com/Stereo/Thorens/TD-165-45-Adapter-Model/
Anyway, for anyone that has a 3D printer, I will be sharing the model on Thingiverse shortly for others to use or improve on.
Now if I can only get the darned motor to ride nicely I will be in business. To be fair I haven't had much of a chance to dig in too deep with it since I strated the modeling effort. I refuse to pay $50 with shipping etc for 3 cents worth of plastic. That is why I did it :eek:
Cheers
TMF
:yikes:

Tweaked the motor and got it stable in both 33 and 45. By adjusting the motor mounts it has also settled down the knocking sounds from the motor shaft. I think it was simply way out of adjustment. Likely one of the previous owner was fiddling with it excessively. You can tell it was played with because the blue locking paint was all but gone on the screws and the spindle was leaning over excessively causing it to ride up the spindle on 33 and thereby was riding on the fatter part of the spindle where it was speed warbling. Got that cured now. Nevertheless I have also ordered a thrust bearing mod kit from the UK to make it even quieter like I did on Table 1 in this thread. Will film the install once I receive. Once I get everything locked in and the belt riding in the right position consistently on the spindle in both 33 and 45 I will use locking paint on the screws to keep it from drifting...
The table has good bones me thinks!
Here is a photo of the table with the lime green 3D test print 45 adapter on the platter:

IMG_20171218_2141540[1].jpg

IMG_20171218_2153518_1.jpg

Hated the previous colour scheme so I went for an about face. I am still thinking of re-doing the top plate as well but am sitting on the fence over that one. I have started doing up the extra top plate that I have and will go with the one I think will be the best. That one is a surprise but should be ready within a week or so. To follow up on the thrust bearing, I did receive it but am finding that it is not necessary as the motor is behaving extremely well after doing the intial adjustments and tuning the suspension. Will save the kit for the next table I do if required.

Back
Top Bottom