MX-110: Creaking noise when turning the tuning knob

I've used a bit of WD-40 on the pointer hlide rail, the residue provides sufficient lube without drawing dust.

No. 3 in 1 is a petroleum based material. Petroleum lubes frequently don’t get along with plastics. My rec remains the spray can silicone applied as already described. WD40 is petroleum based and evaporates so not permanent.

Hi Steve O - thanks! Just to clarify - when you used a toothpick, did you use a tube or a spray can of the silicone lube?

I revisited this mechanical tuning noise today and made an audio recording. Please take a listen. https://soundcloud.com/user-725037060/tunernoise

In the recording you will hear me turn the tuning knob one way then the other.

Is this noise a known issue with a known fix? Sounds like the creaking emanates from the area with the white pulleys (see photos above), but it's difficult to pinpoint the source of the noise with 100% certainty.
Sounds like the noise the string would make rubbing on something to me. Bob

Hi Steve O - thanks! Just to clarify - when you used a toothpick, did you use a tube or a spray can of the silicone lube?

Spray the “spraycan” silicone into a smaller and disposable glass or polypropylene container. Applicator tube can direct stuff into container. I use a used/clean prescription pill bottle. They’re usually PP. Do this in an open, well ventilated area: propellants and solvents are usually flammable and some smell bad. Let the resulting foamy liquid sit about 10 min in the container to allow the propellant and other volatiles to evaporate. Use the toothpick to pick up a drop of the remaining liquid and apply to bearing surface. It will usually flow to where needed. Use minimum nec to get job done. I use a Qtip to quickly absorb any excess on surface of pulley.

Thanks all! Solved this noise. I'm posting some pictures in case others have a similar issue in the future.

The problem was not the two white plastic pulleys on either side of the unit like I originally thought.

Instead, there are two small metal pulleys that are largely hidden from view. The ride underneath the pointer slide rail. Those two small metal pulleys only briefly emerge to be visible from the top when the tuning knob is either all the way left or all the way right. They just pop out a few millimeters. Once they were lubricated, the creaking noise went away.

There is a metal hook inside each of the two metal pulleys -- so it is a metal on metal grinding noise that is the culprit.

IMG_7776.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

Now that the squeaky, creaking noise is fixed, there is one other issue I noticed.

The tuning flywheel has a slight wobble when the tuning knob is turned. However, if I push the tuning knob in towards the glass faceplate as I turn, the tuning wobble issue goes away.

I've posted some images of the flywheel assembly below.

Any ideas what causes this slight wobble? Does the flywheel / tuning knob shaft need to be lubed or tightened in some way?

Below shows the tuning shaft from the front, the inside and rear flywheel vantage points. Anyone encountered this issue before?

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom