Setchell - Carlson RP90A

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
A friend of mine that knows I am an audio enthusiast, calls yesterday to say he is at his wife's 86 year old grandfather's house, who was really into audio back in the day. He sends me a few pics and ask if I am interested in any of it. I said I am interested in all of it.

console.jpg

Anyone know what this speaker is? Looks like Electro-Voice. This is one of the 15" pair and he said there is also a similar pair that are 12".

speaker.jpg

Last edited:
Well, he didn't have enough room for all of it, so he brought me the Setchell-Carlson console first.

4.jpg

The inside. I pulled the turntable so I could lay it on its side to do some investigating.

3.jpg

There are two plugs that say speakers. One on the side and one on the back. Are these the left and right stereo outputs? They has both cabinets wired into the speaker plug on the back.

EDIT: I have found that the two speaker connectors are indeed the left and right speakers. A switch allows left, right or both to play.

6.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
Another question, what is the Amp 1 and Amp 2 controls? Is this a dual mono used as left and right stereo?

8.jpg

Setchell-Carlson I remember for the best modular professional TV monitors made in this country, this console looks commensurate. I didn't know that S-C also did audio.

Well, it's got stereo and mono, and will do normal, reverse and mono off the stereo signal.
The volume looks like Dave's Blueberry pre-amp. Set relative gain for each channel, then the master volume for total output. Instead of a 'Balance' control. I always liked that better. I think of amps like the Redgum integrateds as full dual-mono, with two volume controls, and no balance, or master volume.

The over-complicated controls was a thing that was done back then. My Stromberg-Carlson has similar controls, individual per-channel gain and tone controls, plus a master volume that ran both up.

Looks like 2 output transformers, so its likely a stereo amp. Guessing 6bq5 based on the size of the bottles in the middle. Interesting construction on this, the tuners appear to be stand-alone subchassis that simply unbolt for service.

I have found that this is set up as two amps. Amp 1 is for playing FM. Amp 2 is for playing AM. Master volume turns main power on. The tone control turns on power to the associated tuner.

View attachment 1100147
That's my same set, linked in post #11. Your control board is configured vertically - mine is arranged horizontally. Also, I'm under the impression that the "Stereo" designation only referred to the phono section - not the tuner. My set doesn't have a port for a multiplex adapter and built-in adapters didn't exist until the early '60s, if I'm not mistaken. My transformer date code shows: June, 1959. I haven't looked at my set since boxing it 3 years ago, so my recollection may be a little foggy.

Does your set have a multiplex adapter or a port for an external adapter?

Simulcast stereo.
Yes, I'd forgotten about stereo heard over both the AM and FM channels, tuned to the same station. Still, I believe some amplifiers of this same period had Multiplex ports for external adapters, in anticipation of multiplex stereo. I think HK may have been the first in '59, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom