Restore or leave it alone?

SaturationPt

Big Woofer Club
Subscriber
I bought a small collection of 2200 receivers, planning to clean up and restore them (which I enjoy), but really don't have much interest in keeping them all. I started by lifting the hood on the 2220B, and it's pretty much like-new inside and out. Tested voltages and offset, all good.

So I don't know yet which I'll keep and which I'll pass on, but I'm now wondering if I'm better off leaving this one alone? Clean the pots and switches, maybe put in a new set of bulbs? I'm sure that all caps and semiconductors will be less than $40 so it's not a financial decision really.

I guess I (personally) put more value on an excellent survivor than one that has been restored or recapped, seems more pure Marantz when its un-touched (merely "serviced").

Probably a moot point today because I'm planning to finish servicing it and close it up so that I can see what the next one up has under the hood, but eventually I could circle back around.

So if it does go on the sell list, what is more desirable to most people? Restore regardless of its current condition or preserve in original condition?

If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, but doing that work may net you more profit.
Some people want to have the peace of mind in not worrying that those parts will fail within a short time of buying the unit.

I restore vintage amps / receivers that I buy. My personal experience is that the sound greatly benefits, becomes much clearer, especially the top end.
Also there is very often plenty of cracked solder joints, bad relay contacts, oxidised switches....many things that will give you small or big trouble.
I use good but not extravagant parts.

If you are going to keep one, update it for you. They do sound fuller and cleaner usually.

But as far a resell goes my personal experience is people want to pay what a non restored unit goes for if it is updated or not.
So you have to make the call. If you can do the work you might make a little money. If you are paying someone else you probably won't get much of it back if any especially on a lower powered unit.

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary.

Not really about the money, as it's not going to be a $1k receiver if I gold-plate it, really more asking what collectors would rather have.

1) A cosmetically perfect low-hour excellent sounding original unit
2) A cosmetically perfect low-hour excellent sounding restored unit (which might or might not sound different or better than option 1).

I'm leaning strongly toward 1 if I keep it, although I do enjoy doing the restoration.

Not really about the money, as it's not going to be a $1k receiver if I gold-plate it, really more asking what collectors would rather have.

1) A cosmetically perfect low-hour excellent sounding original unit
2) A cosmetically perfect low-hour excellent sounding restored unit (which might or might not sound different or better than option 1).

I'm leaning strongly toward 1 if I keep it, although I do enjoy doing the restoration.
I think you have just described two distinct groups with two views of restored units. Neither is wrong. I think you might find that collectors who actually work on gear are prone to appreciate a restored unit and those that buy, sell, collect units - but don't work on them - put some value on originality. It's not true for all members of the two groups, but it's a general trend I have seen as I read posts over the years.

Back
Top Bottom