Quick 'n fun restoration - 2216B

Jailtime

Standin' on a corner
I wanted to do an easy and relaxing restoration after wrestling a 4400 around on my bench for a month. I've never restored or even heard a "B" model Marantz with the silver dial face, so I snagged this nice little 2216B. Had some nasty spitting and popping in both channels, bit worrying with no real DC protection beyond a 3.5A fuse in these. Check out that nice packing job :no: and the fur on the PS/amplifier board. Looks like something got spilled in this receiver.

IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_7747.JPG

I rebuilt the tuner board first, AM/FM front end, MPX all on the same board. Mostly Panasonic and WIMA films here, it's easy since there's access to the whole foil side of the board when you flip the receiver over. The tuner performs well, I could receive all the stations in my area in FM stereo with only a foot of speaker wire as an antenna.

IMG_7807.JPG

Power amplifier and power supply board got the treatment next, Panasonic FC for the power supply, and Nichicon FG and Muse for the amp. Did lots of cleanup and regreased the output transistors here. The 5 pin 2SA798s were the culprit for the nasty popping, they got replaced with matched pairs of KSA992. There was lots of nasty glue holding the filters in place, I scraped it all away.

IMG_7809.JPG

Phono board and tone amp got the last bit of attention, all WIMA films and Nichicon Fine Gold here. They sure do look nice in there, and sound wonderful.

IMG_7811.JPG

Finished up testing, bias is all dialed in, DC offset is dead on. Fired it up for some full power testing, made 23.8 WPC into 8 ohms at 1KHz, both channels driven. I like this little thing, really clean sounding with a sweet top end.

I was going to say things like "the silver dial models aren't built as well as others", but the proof is in the performance. This 2216B sounds great and easily exceeded its rated power.

IMG_7815.JPG IMG_7819.JPG IMG_7821.JPG IMG_7830.JPG

That thing sure is cute and there's an awful lot of room under the hood! I lent a can of DeOxit to a co-worker who had one of those and all he did was clean the switches and he was amazed at the sound. Nice work!

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom