Have you seen the Flipbin?

DC

"Manhattan Boy"
Subscriber
This looks cool: https://flipbin.com/collections/shop/products/model-33

I was reading the January Stereophile and Robert Baird mentioned this product (with another) in his monthly column. I think it looks cool, and useful. I happen to prefer record-bin-style organization so I can flip through albums like at a shop. (I have a plurality of my albums (most Jazz and vocals) in box-type cabinets that allow for flipping.) This might be an improvement over my plate-stand holder that currently adorns the top of my CD player and occasionally topples over with an empty album cover in/on it.

Apparently a successful Kickstarter campaign, and made in Chicago. I ordered two...

The flipbin looks cool but I'd say over built for the purpose and a bit salty on the price. The Bin-e looks exactly like the ones I built in an afternoon from scrap 1/2" plywood I had laying around from other projects.
Built 3 of them in a couple hours stained and finished,and they are free.You guys should have a go at it. Or maybe I should get into the business.

hey gang - not only an AudioKarma member...but for better / worse, also the guy responsible for flipbin :) Go easy on me...but I figured I'd post up and offer to answer any questions / clear up any misconceptions or concerns you guys might have! It's just myself and a friend, had no background on any of this, and both of us work day jobs...but I'd love to rap about it with you guys!

@ don
totally get it...and no hard feelings; not for everyone's taste or wallet for sure (though not by design!) - They're not cheap...and that's a 2-way street, right? I didn't really understand all that goes into tackling a project of this scope, but I'm learning along the way! They're custom fabricated aluminum, they go thru about 9 build-steps and a difficult powder-coating process to insure a high-quality finish... all of which takes place here in Chicago (keeping everything stateside was very important) and allows me to monitor the quality all the way thru the process.

Love the conversation and comments...so let me know if anyone has questions!

Cheers -

Ben[/USER]

Hey @stereomang Ben, welcome to AK! flipbin looks mighty nice... I might need one! Good luck with it!
Right on, Redboy - thanks a bunch! I rarely post (shame) but I'm always looking around and getting answers / checking out what's going on...so it's kind of fun and a little weird to be part of a subject :) but I'm a huge fan of the site and all you guys herewithin!

That's a nice bit of design work. Price is reasonable imo.
Thanks a bunch, UncleBingo! Much appreciated - day job is running an IT company (and background is fine arts!) so...yeah, this was well outside the wheelhouse and I appreciate the feedback very much! cheers!

image.jpg
Price seems exorbitant for what it is, although it looks kind of cool. A better (imo) alternative would be a Bin-e from LPBin. Almost half the price and over double the storage. The Java Cherry looks particularly nice.

https://www.lpbin.com/binelpstorage

Hey! Those bins look great. And have possibility.
I have all my LPs stacked vertically on two shelves with rigid dividers every 16" or so.
It sucks! One shelf is too low and even the one at eye's height requires a 90* neck bend to read!
I see a possibility to mount these bins on the new style "under the drawer runners". They wouldn't need to come out 12", 7-9" looks like it would work.
What an opportunity to finally file records so I can find them!

AHA! Thinking about this! A way to identify each "bay" in my current sytstem (if I can call it that!), and a master list of every record and what bay it's in!

Last edited:
yeah - that's exactly the idea; shelves...check. it's really to keep some handy, but protected and safe (no stack, no wall lean, etc.) and act as sort of the current queue - I use a couple by the deck...one gets all the new stuff (which I catalog, clean, and of course listen to) and the other tends to be whatever the favorites in rotation are. Wanted 'em small enough to fit just about anywhere, be self-supported, and hold a small number that I could flip thru instead of craning the neck to read old spines :) (getting old is a !#$!%) - pretty basic idea. I have some customers who like to keep a specific genre separate...but yeah, all kinds of uses, but all very similar conceptually.
fullsizeoutput_176b5.jpeg

To me, this is a record "browser" for stuff in current rotation, more so than storage.

That's what I thought, too, and why it appealed to me so quickly. I like the idea of "an armload" of records in recent rotation able to be kept/organized near the TT, and Robert Baird's comments suggested that it's stronger/sturdier than I thought at first glance.

I'm looking forward to getting them! (Only one, actually, as the other is for a friend.)

hey gang - not only an AudioKarma member...but for better / worse, also the guy responsible for flipbin :) Go easy on me...but I figured I'd post up and offer to answer any questions / clear up any misconceptions or concerns you guys might have! It's just myself and a friend, had no background on any of this, and both of us work day jobs...but I'd love to rap about it with you guys!

@ don
totally get it...and no hard feelings; not for everyone's taste or wallet for sure (though not by design!) - They're not cheap...and that's a 2-way street, right? I didn't really understand all that goes into tackling a project of this scope, but I'm learning along the way! They're custom fabricated aluminum, they go thru about 9 build-steps and a difficult powder-coating process to insure a high-quality finish... all of which takes place here in Chicago (keeping everything stateside was very important) and allows me to monitor the quality all the way thru the process.

Love the conversation and comments...so let me know if anyone has questions!

Cheers -

Ben[/USER]
Cool idea a little pricey but you should do good with it. Maybe once you get sales up making them in greater numbers will help get the cost down.Good luck.

Credit to you for not making it out of plastic.
@timofred thanks!! Initially looked at plastic to be honest...but there's a considerable upfront cost and different materials were always on the table. I've got a couple pretty cool plastic prototypes...so, we'll see but there's a lot that can be done w/ aluminum that you can't do on the plastic side :)

Back
Top Bottom