LO-FI has become cool.

I grew up when most audio sounded awful and I see no good reason to go back to that. The kids are obsessed with the idea that they are creating their own new styles and sounds and will pay good money for really crappy music IMHO as long as it is something different and unique in their minds. The very same reasons you see the various whacked clothing and hair styles jewelry in places where it was never meant to go body mods etc.
old.jpg

Frankly, I think a distinction should be made between people who are deliberately trying for bad sound quality, and those whose music just happens to be somewhat low-resolution compared to a professional recording, whether due to the instruments used, recording quality, or both. I could make my music sound absolutely horrible if I wanted to, but I generally strive for as high-quality a recording as the equipment being used (and my talent level) allows.

Take, for example, the "Tornado Waltz" track I linked to in my first post in this thread. It was created using the Optigan, an instrument which, as I've mentioned, exhibits audible flaws like pops and clicks as an inherent part of its sound generation methods. As an experiment, I recorded a version of it using an old Realistic Minisette-9 cassette recorder; this "lo-fi" version can be found here. For comparison, the standard "hifi" version, recorded using a Sony MiniDisc recorder (IIRC), can be found here.
-Adam
aka Dr. Optigan

Last edited:
My girlfriend just returned my NAD 3020 because she found a free BPC Sony all-in-one double cassette thingy. To be honest, the Optimus 5B speakers I gave her sound just about the same through the NAD or the Sony. :p

And the video will be taped on the Fisher-Price Video Camera (used a cassette tape - I've wanted one of those for decades now!)!

View attachment 1112677
I actually have one of those! :D Found it at a flea market a couple of years back for an absurdly low price. It's still in its original box along with the monitor and several of the accessories. I have yet to attempt to use it due to the rather fragile nature of the units. Wouldn't mind using it for its 'intended' purpose at some point, though, if I can get it to work.
-Adam

Other than the evocative intro's transitioning into full fidelity ala "Tunnel of Love" on Dire Straits "Making Movies", dreadful trend worse than the awful helium voice yodeling robot effect thing.

sampling music on vinyl has been around since the birth of hiphop. the crackle may be a sound effect in the computer now but the origin is really samples from vinyl. that's how they invented the term DJ, right?

sampling music on vinyl has been around since the birth of hiphop. the crackle may be a sound effect in the computer now but the origin is really samples from vinyl. that's how they invented the term DJ, right?
True, but the crackle effect is still a pretentious down-dressing affectation.

True, but the crackle effect is still a pretentious down-dressing affectation.
I bet its fans like it. There are folks who think the rock effects-pedal mainstays of reverb, distortion, flanging, and/or chorus are just as abominable.

What makes one effect bad and another good?

Isn't it possible that most of the negativity expressed here is just the same old, "my music good, your music bad" that every genre gets from its opponents?

I bet its fans like it. There are folks who think the rock effect mainstays of reverb, distortion, flanging, and/or chorus effects are just as abominable.

What makes one effect bad and another good?

Isn't it possible that most of the negativity expressed here is just the same old, "my music good, your music bad" that every genre gets from its opponents?
I try to avoid that "get off my lawn!" attitude. I suppose it's ok as part of a work of art, but if I wanted it as a lifestyle, I'd collect and play thrift store console collection LPs as-is.

I suppose it's ok as part of a work of art, but if I wanted it as a lifestyle, I'd collect and play thrift store console collection LPs as-is.
I think it's just a sound-effect -- at most, maybe a defining sound-effect of a subgenre, much like "distorted guitar" is a defining sound-effect in rock or to put the subgenres at equivalent prominence, maybe more like larynx-wrenching vocals is a defining sound-"effect" of screamo -- but not a lifestyle.

hiphop djs used to dig a lot of cheap, old pop/jazz/soul records, which may be in less than great conditions. they don't wear gloves when they scratch. their stylus tent to track at high weight. that all contribute to the 'crackles' effect. artists today borrow those effects either to pay tribute, keep the tradition or try to create a retro feel to fit the scene in the song writing(eminem's lose yourself).

hiphop djs used to dig a lot of cheap, old pop/jazz/soul records, which may be in less than great conditions. they don't wear gloves when they scratch. their stylus tent to track at high weight. that all contribute to the 'crackles' effect. artists today borrow those effects either to pay tribute, keep the tradition or try to create a retro feel to fit the scene in the song writing(eminem's lose yourself).
That, I get.

Fwiw, one of the things I like here is how we can have a considerate discussion without the flaming bags of poop on the porch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom