Check out my new Dual 1019 w/ M75E-D19

Very clean looking 1019. Couldn't tell from the photos the condition of the stacker grips. The old material breaks down, but if yours is working then it has probably already been rebuilt.

My 1019 is my favorite TT.

Very clean looking 1019. Couldn't tell from the photos the condition of the stacker grips. The old material breaks down, but if yours is working then it has probably already been rebuilt.

My 1019 is my favorite TT.
Thanks. So far I only used it with one record. Someday I will try two, I just don't want an accident with that excellent Shure stylus in the way.

I think this table was in storage for a long, long, long time. Quiet motor but now that I am using it I am getting the feeling a tune up is needed. I made a call to Bill at Fix My Dual in Iowa. I want this table to be pristine like my XB and my Thorens.

Yes, it has three suspension springs.

So adding mass is only done for hard mount idlers?

The spring suspension will take away from adding the mass, in order to get anything worth using on mass it's best to direct mount without the springs. Otherwise it's more for looks than anything my 1019 is also in an oversized 2 inch thick plinth.

The spring suspension will take away from adding the mass, in order to get anything worth using on mass it's best to direct mount without the springs. Otherwise it's more for looks than anything my 1019 is also in an oversized 2 inch thick plinth.

Yes thanks.

Since this table sounds fine in current config I think I will leave it as is. I will be moving the 1019 into a console later this year and will use the spring suspension in that config.

Last edited:
You should try your 301 and sut on it if you haven't already . I have a dl300 on mine with and upgraded diamind and love the sound.

You should try your 301 and sut on it if you haven't already . I have a dl300 on mine with and upgraded diamind and love the sound.

Never thought of using a MC with it. Hmm hmmm

I just installed a V15-II with a "brand new" NOS VN15E. Sounds great. These guys really knew what they were doing back then. :music:

Never thought of using a MC with it.

I had posted awhile back asking if anyone had used one before on vinylengine, and everyone laughed saying that the table wouldn't sound good with an MC on it. So I installed the 300 on it and really really like it. I'm getting a 301 MKII redone and am going to try it out on there as well, and may even try my modded 103 on it.

I've used a slew of cartridges on it to see how they would sound. Ortofon VMS 30E MKII, Ortofon Super OM30,OM40, Stanton 681EEE with shibata, Stanton 881S MKII, Shure V-15 III with SAS and VN35E, V-15 MR, Shure M91ED, Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII and the Denon. The Denon is my favorite, the the Pickering, the Stanton 881S MKII. The Shure to me was last in line, but that's just my personal tastes.

I had posted awhile back asking if anyone had used one before on vinylengine, and everyone laughed saying that the table wouldn't sound good with an MC on it. So I installed the 300 on it and really really like it. I'm getting a 301 MKII redone and am going to try it out on there as well, and may even try my modded 103 on it.

I've used a slew of cartridges on it to see how they would sound. Ortofon VMS 30E MKII, Ortofon Super OM30,OM40, Stanton 681EEE with shibata, Stanton 881S MKII, Shure V-15 III with SAS and VN35E, V-15 MR, Shure M91ED, Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII and the Denon. The Denon is my favorite, the the Pickering, the Stanton 881S MKII. The Shure to me was last in line, but that's just my personal tastes.

Wow, you have done a lot of experimentation!

Shure seems to be the most common cartridge used on this table so I think you just may not be a Shure fan.

I just put a V15-II with a brand new "NOS" VN15E on this table and it sounds great. I shimmed the cartridge to optimize it for single record play, and set the cartridge all the way up to the front of the carrier sled slots which kept the stylus tip in the same spot as the M75E stylus.

How do you align your cartridges?

Wow, you have done a lot of experimentation!

Shure seems to be the most common cartridge used on this table so I think you just may not be a Shure fan.

I just put a V15-II with a brand new "NOS" VN15E on this table and it sounds great. I shimmed the cartridge to optimize it for single record play, and set the cartridge all the way up to the front of the carrier sled slots which kept the stylus tip in the same spot as the M75E stylus.

How do you align your cartridges?

I bought the angled shim for mine and it gets the bottom of the cartridge parallel to the record, and then fine tune tweak it with a VTA level, and also use the MOFI disc.The shim is at a 15 degree angle. It makes it much quicker for me. I usually wind up having the cartridge all the way up front, or about 1/3 back.

I also have an original overhang gauge and will match it up depending on the cartridge, then just square it up with the mofi disc if needed.

What I wound up doing when I got back into records was buy and sell a bunch of tables and carts to try out. I've slowly focused on a few tables and each has it's place for me. I like the Dual 1019 and the (new to me) Miracord 50H for more rock and dance types of music as it seems punchier and fast to me.

I use my Steve Frosten customized AR-XA for more of my Sinatra type and R&B music and for my clinical listening. He's also doing an Ariston RD-11 Superior over that will double in place of the XA.

The idler drives I did myself and they were fun doing. They aren't as quiet as the XA, but are fun to play. I use the idlers more than the belt drive,so that's the reason I use the MC on them, and a custom built SUT. They sound so much more open and better than a MM does.

I have also used a Baerwald and Stevenson protractor on the tables with good feedback from them.

Don't get me wrong, the Shure's sound a lot better than a lot of other cartridges out there, they just aren't as bright as I like. I wouldn't have any issue if I could only use one.

I'm curious to hear what your MC sounds like on your 1019.

P.S.=I've also used the Denon DL-110 on the table and wasn't a big fan on it as well, I'd rank it lower than the Shure carts.

I bought the angled shim for mine and it gets the bottom of the cartridge parallel to the record, and then fine tune tweak it with a VTA level, and also use the MOFI disc.The shim is at a 15 degree angle. It makes it much quicker for me. I usually wind up having the cartridge all the way up front, or about 1/3 back.

I also have an original overhang gauge and will match it up depending on the cartridge, then just square it up with the mofi disc if needed.

What I wound up doing when I got back into records was buy and sell a bunch of tables and carts to try out. I've slowly focused on a few tables and each has it's place for me. I like the Dual 1019 and the (new to me) Miracord 50H for more rock and dance types of music as it seems punchier and fast to me.

I use my Steve Frosten customized AR-XA for more of my Sinatra type and R&B music and for my clinical listening. He's also doing an Ariston RD-11 Superior over that will double in place of the XA.

The idler drives I did myself and they were fun doing. They aren't as quiet as the XA, but are fun to play. I use the idlers more than the belt drive,so that's the reason I use the MC on them, and a custom built SUT. They sound so much more open and better than a MM does.

I have also used a Baerwald and Stevenson protractor on the tables with good feedback from them.

Don't get me wrong, the Shure's sound a lot better than a lot of other cartridges out there, they just aren't as bright as I like. I wouldn't have any issue if I could only use one.

I'm curious to hear what your MC sounds like on your 1019.

P.S.=I've also used the Denon DL-110 on the table and wasn't a big fan on it as well, I'd rank it lower than the Shure carts.

We have some things in common.

I have that same shim for the 15 degree compensation. I used the shim on the V15-II. What is a VTA level? A super-small light level?

While I'm new to idlers I like the dynamics and pace of the 1019 and mine is quiet too, still having fun learning it.

I have a AR XB that is my TOTL right now. Neck and neck is my Thorens TD 160 which is on the sidelines right now. I was going to rewire the SME 3009 series II (improved) but I may have an opportunity to pick up an Audiomods arm so maybe I sell the SME or maybe I move it to my KD 550 which is also on the sidelines. I have a bunch of turntable projects going, always do.

What is a VTA level? A super-small light level?

It's basically a piece of plexiglass with lines and boxes on it. You can use it for the arm to make sure it's level, as well as the head shell and cartridge alignment. On my arms with VTA adjustment,I try to make sure they are perfectly level and on the ones that aren't, I try to use a shim or mat to compensate for differences.

They run about $12.00 or so. Here's a few that are priced higher, but they also have em cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-Turntabl...030201?hash=item4ac85ba939:g:k08AAOSwc0FUqkfh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOUSTICAL-...337888?hash=item2352b34da0:g:XrIAAOSwpdpVeeaf

I have 2 different ones,found it easier to get a good starting point with them before making final adjustments.

It's basically a piece of plexiglass with lines and boxes on it. You can use it for the arm to make sure it's level, as well as the head shell and cartridge alignment. On my arms with VTA adjustment,I try to make sure they are perfectly level and on the ones that aren't, I try to use a shim or mat to compensate for differences.

They run about $12.00 or so. Here's a few that are priced higher, but they also have em cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-Turntabl...030201?hash=item4ac85ba939:g:k08AAOSwc0FUqkfh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOUSTICAL-...337888?hash=item2352b34da0:g:XrIAAOSwpdpVeeaf

I have 2 different ones,found it easier to get a good starting point with them before making final adjustments.

Ahhha .. I use an index card or a cut to size piece of graph paper for that. Crude but it gets me there!

Thought I would include a picture of the cartridge and its unique spring suspension. This thing seems to work fine and the tracking is excellent.

I have playing single records on the stock platter but I read that the third record in a stack is the point where the VTA is optimal. So I added a cork platter mat, one for a 12' platter, onto of the existing platter to change the VTA and to set the tone arm parallel to the record. I observed this cartridge spring suspension adjust in each case.

I like the sound better with the cork platter mat installed so it seems to reason that I should shim the cartridge or keep the extra mat in place.

View attachment 877121

I just picked another 1019 with that cartridge. I've never seen one until now. I'll have to give it a try, and also spiff up the dirty table.

20180213_134207.jpg

You have things well under control. I'm on my way there, as I just let three of mine go last night. He also wanted my 1019, but I said no. :)

You have things well under control. I'm on my way there, as I just let three of mine go last night. He also wanted my 1019, but I said no. :)

Well under control? 3 refers to the 1019 only. There are also the 3 or 4 Technics, 2 Garrards, 2 Thorens, 3 or so AR if I count extra parts, another Dual or 2, a Rega, 1 B&O, 1 Sony, 1 Harman Kardon, a Denon, 1 Realistic...

And then there are the projects in the garage.

;)

Last edited:
I think that's the intent. I have a stylus on this that I think I can test it with too.

Back
Top Bottom