Looking for help in MN - Restoring a Family Treasure - The 1000a

Kikinik

Gotta Keep on Keepin On
Well, for my first real post, other than saying hello, I thought I would dig right in to my next and maybe most important project.
The beautiful Sansui 1000a that I received from my dad.

It's in really nice shape and I want to do it right. (Read, I really shouldn't do it myself).

I have read a lot of the existing threads on the many caps that need replacing, and the complexity overall. I have also heard that the results when done and done right are worth the effort. I'm sure there are nicer tube amps out there, but this one means something.

So what I am looking for is somebody in Minnesota, and ideally the Twin Cities area that can partner with me in this project. Mostly getting it into daily driving shape. And when I say partner I mean that I pay you money, and shower you with moral support. Ideally it is somebody with a few of these on their resume.

When it's all done, we hook up my speakers, crack a beer or brew some tea, and let the sound roll in.

I really don't want to ship this baby, so this is my best shot at getting her up and running.
The tubes look good. Nothing looks bulging or burnt. It was recently turned on and worked (even though I suggested my mom NOT turn it on after reading what could happen). And overall I think it had pretty minimal use.

Any other thoughts or words of encouragement are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

My hat's off to you for wanting to restore this heirloom. By most accounts it is worth the time and effort, as they have a lot of love here at AK. I have one that was gifted to me by a good friend, so I'm in a similar situation. Lots of personal value and nowhere enough skill to do myself.
These things have a zillion caps and 18 tubes IIRC, so your tech will have his hands full. Good luck!

@goat67 is near the twin cities and is a tech, i dont know if he does tube gear. i dont know him and have not used him but have seen his name come up in a few posts maybe he will chime in. if you dont find anyone you can try HIFI Sound in Minneapolis i have had most my tube gear restored there, Dave Olsen is the tech and he is a master with tube gear but they are pricey there $85 an hour

Last edited:
Mark Wilson at Absolute Sound Labs in Savage. He has been doing it for 50 years.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I had come across their site when I was searching around but couldn't find Sansui listed. I will call them today and ask some questions.

@goat67 is near the twin cities and is a tech, i dont know if he does tube gear. i dont know him and have not used him but have seen his name come up in a few posts maybe he will chime in. if you dont find anyone you can try HI FI Sound in Minneapolis i have had most my tube gear restored there, Dave Olsen is the tech and he is a master with tube gear but they are pricey there $85 an hour

I am familiar with HiFi sound. They are great. I had my Kenwood 8100 worked on there actually. 85 per hour for a few hours isn't bad.

Part of my challenge is that I don't know how long this project is going to take. I have read that people spend 10-20 hours on these 1000a's.
That could get spendy. I am not trying to say 85per hour isn't worth it for great work, but I don't know enough about time/scope or have deep enough pockets to just drop it off and say bill me no matter what.

I talked with Alex Audio in town too. They have a 12 week wait list, and will work on it. I assume they can handle it as I have heard good things.
I was a little concerned that they said, if it turns on and works that I should use it as is, and fix it when something breaks basically.

One of the challenges with a $70 diagnostic/12 week window, is that at that point I need to just commit and have them refurbish.
If they just fix a few pieces, will I be back there in 6 months? I just don't have the experience to know what is the right call.
From what I have read here is that one should just replace everything before being put into daily use.

i would think HIFI would give you an estimate first or at least a ballpark. but i would think between $400-800 based on mine ( i just had both my model 9's restored and it was less then $1200 i didnt think $600 a piece was bad). i usually get them back in a couple of weeks but im a regular customer and Dave likes me so that might speed things up i dont know. i dont think Alex is where you want to bring tubes anyway, when i was there he referred me to HIFI for my tube gear, and i know he doesnt like to do full recaps just wants to fix whats broke. could be more expensive then HIFI as well i brought a SX950 that i just bought to have him adjust DC offset and idle current and inspect it. i asked about recapping he said he would only do the power supply board and that would be about $250
model 9 before-
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Model 9 after - had the big can caps undermounted to keep the look

20171226_171623 (800x450).jpg

By the way my 9's sound wonderful, most people said i should leave them original but thats not how i roll, and i am absolutely happy that i had it done as they seemed to be lacking something before.

By the way my 9's sound wonderful, most people said i should leave them original but thats not how i roll, and i am absolutely happy that i had it done as they seemed to be lacking something before.

Love it! And yeah, $600 is not bad for a beautiful piece of restored tube gear.

i would think HIFI would give you an estimate first or at least a ballpark. but i would think between $400-800 based on mine ( i just had both my model 9's restored and it was less then $1200 i didnt think $600 a piece was bad). i usually get them back in a couple of weeks but im a regular customer and Dave likes me so that might speed things up i dont know. i dont think Alex is where you want to bring tubes anyway, when i was there he referred me to HIFI for my tube gear, and i know he doesnt like to do full recaps just wants to fix whats broke. could be more expensive then HIFI as well i brought a SX950 that i just bought to have him adjust DC offset and idle current and inspect it. i asked about recapping he said he would only do the power supply board and that would be about $250
model 9 before-
View attachment 1114345

Model 9 after - had the big can caps undermounted to keep the look

View attachment 1114341

I talked to Dave at HiFi and he said he is done working on the Sansui 1000a unfortunately. He gave me a lead on somebody else in St.Paul, so I will be trying that route.

Thanks again!

Mark Wilson at Absolute Sound Labs in Savage. He has been doing it for 50 years.

I spoke with Mark, and he said they do not work on Sansui. I thanked him, and told him that someday I hope to own a McIntosh...

yeah he is retiring soon and only works a couple of days a week so he can be a bit picky about what he works on, i know he doesn't recap SS gear but i thought he was still doing most tube stuff at least he had a referral for you.

Back
Top Bottom