I have Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75, which speakers do I get to upgrade?

G7Trader. Your source is the problem. No matter what speakers you have they are going to sound flat and boring with poor quality streaming sources. I run a pair of Beovox S60's from a Beomaster 1900 fed by Beogram 2402, Beogram CD-4500, and Beocord 1900. This setup with quality source recordings is nearly unbeatable. I can make this statement with 100% confidence because I also own plenty of other top quality systems, the Beovox will step up and punch it out with the best of them.

Bang & olufsen is no good, sound quality is poor I've also owned many beomasters and beocenters.

Since this post I upgraded my amp from Rotel RX-602 to a Rotel RX-802 which has a lot more power then I brought a Pioneer SA-9500 II and wow that is an amazing amp.

I since went to my local B&O shop and heard the Beolab 90 which cost £58,000 my Pioneer is very close up there.

I also since brought a dual cs 505-1 record player but my Amazon fire stick youtube via TV still is a better sounding source.

My next purchase will be Pioneer Spec 2 & Yamaha NS-1000.

I also have all the parts for the BBC LS3/5A speaker which I am self building see my other post.

I have the Kef Concerto, the Beovox S75 sounds a lot better.

Bang & olufsen is no good, sound quality is poor I've also owned many beomasters and beocenters.

Since this post I upgraded my amp from Rotel RX-602 to a Rotel RX-802 which has a lot more power then I brought a Pioneer SA-9500 II and wow that is an amazing amp.

I since went to my local B&O shop and heard the Beolab 90 which cost £58,000 my Pioneer is very close up there.

I also since brought a dual cs 505-1 record player but my Amazon fire stick youtube via TV still is a better sounding source.

My next purchase will be Pioneer Spec 2 & Yamaha NS-1000.

I also have all the parts for the BBC LS3/5A speaker which I am self building see my other post.

I have the Kef Concerto, the Beovox S75 sounds a lot better.
I guess my first question to you would be: if you don’t like the sound, why do you keep buying them?

Not so sure about this, my three Beomasters compare quite well to the many other vintage amps/receivers that l have owned esp the 4400. Same goes for the early Beovox speakers. But each to their own.
I quite agree. The Beovox M150's pictured in my Avatar have proven to be extremely capable speakers. I have since replaced them as my main speakers because they are just too small for my large listening room, but I have yet to be able to bring myself to sell them. I originally bought them on the cheap because I really like the way they look, and they are about as close to mint as a 30+ yr old speaker can get. However, once I started listening to them, I was amazed at how good they sounded. I don't have the space to store them, or I probably would never get rid of them.

I quite agree. The Beovox M150's pictured in my Avatar have proven to be extremely capable speakers. I have since replaced them as my main speakers because they are just too small for my large listening room, but I have yet to be able to bring myself to sell them. I originally bought them on the cheap because I really like the way they look, and they are about as close to mint as a 30+ yr old speaker can get. However, once I started listening to them, I was amazed at how good they sounded. I don't have the space to store them, or I probably would never get rid of them.

I am considering those speakers and the bigger MS150.

I'm not impressed by vintage B&O equipment except the speakers.

Your speakers and the bigger MS150 have similar speaker drivers as in the Beolab 5 who knows they might be the same ones.

same lookong tweeter, large midrange dome tweeter, 10 inch mid bass, 12 inch low bass.

The Beolab 5 have a 15 inch low bass driver at the bottom facing the ground.

The S-75 uses that fantastic tweeter and upper midrange dome from Celestion. Where they fail is below 45 hz. The S-75 doesn't have the passive radiator the B&O 5700/02. There were some later models from the M series that use the same dome and tweeter with what they called a suckout mid driver and a woofer that reached about 2/3 of an octave lower. Its going to take some pretty strong speakers to surpass your S-75's and most of them are going to require power if you want to keep the enclosures small. Allison made a few models, Wilson, updated Mcintosh XR-7. For a totally different more forward sound their are JBL models, either with horns like the L300 or with out like the 250. Altec made the Model 19. Kefs were to bright for me. Some model Tannoys might be a choice if you want efficient speakers. I agree Magnaplanar if you want more intimacy and are willing to give up a bunch of bass. B&W 802's are a great choice and similar Snells were more my cup of tea. Some of the early dual woofered Magicos might be found at sort of a bargain. I wouldn't have NS 1000's on a bet. Celestion made some more advanced models using their own woofers that were good. ADS larger models like the 2030 and its smaller cousin might be a choice if you have the space.

I'm not tolerant of irritating tweeters, so most of the speakers available would be on my don't even consider list. Why because I'm spoiled by the tweeter that is used in your S-75. I have 4 each in my L&R speakers and they have performed well for a long time.

Last edited:
The S-75 uses that fantastic tweeter and upper midrange dome from Celestion. Where they fail is below 45 hz. The S-75 doesn't have the passive radiator the B&O 5700/02. There were some later models from the M series that use the same dome and tweeter with what they called a suckout mid driver and a woofer that reached about 2/3 of an octave lower. Its going to take some pretty strong speakers to surpass your S-75's and most of them are going to require power if you want to keep the enclosures small. Allison made a few models, Wilson, updated Mcintosh XR-7. For a totally different more forward sound their are JBL models, either with horns like the L300 or with out like the 250. Altec made the Model 19. Kefs were to bright for me. Some model Tannoys might be a choice if you want efficient speakers. I agree Magnaplanar if you want more intimacy and are willing to give up a bunch of bass. B&W 802's are a great choice and similar Snells were more my cup of tea. Some of the early dual woofered Magicos might be found at sort of a bargain. I wouldn't have NS 1000's on a bet. Celestion made some more advanced models using their own woofers that were good. ADS larger models like the 2030 and its smaller cousin might be a choice if you have the space.

I'm not tolerant of irritating tweeters, so most of the speakers available would be on my don't even consider list. Why because I'm spoiled by the tweeter that is used in your S-75. I have 4 each in my L&R speakers and they have performed well for a long time.

The small rectangle tweeter is Audax. One of my Audax tweeters is blown I looked for a replacement. The weird thing is when i turn the balance knob between the two speakers, there is little to no difference! Very subtle difference only a little extra air in the high frequencies. I'm at the point where there is no point replacing it.

I however had a Kef T27 lying around and connected in parrelel to the blown tweeter and there was a massive improvement in treble very good for nightclub type music like dubstep but it took a way a little of the warmth in the midrange.

Is there other tweeter celestion, what model number?

Have you heard the Yamaha NS-1000? Alot of people say it sounds like the musician abd singers are playing live in the room.

I find the Kef Concertos also a little bright theres something missing with them. They are meant to be 'accurate' studio monitors.

I'm looking to upgrade my amp I currently have a Pioneer SA-9500 II, the normal choice would be SA-9900 or Spec 2 with 250 watt per channel!!

Can you recommend any amps?

The NS 1000 has one of the most colored woofers I have ever heard. With its higher crossover frequency coloring the area which would normally be covered by a more neutral 5 or 6 in midrange. Yamaha is not alone in that respect.

The NS 1000 has one of the most colored woofers I have ever heard. With its higher crossover frequency coloring the area which would normally be covered by a more neutral 5 or 6 in midrange. Yamaha is not alone in that respect.

The woofer is down 5db by 400HZ typically. 10db by 500Hz. Not sure what you think you are hearing, or not hearing.

Back
Top Bottom