What are your favorite Cantilever materials & Diamond shapes?

Re body construction;
Effective resonance and reaction management, but you probably already consider those.

Of the carts I own my favorite is made of Be and is then gold plated with a fine line stylus

Sony made MC carts with replaceable stylus, as I own one. It also incorporated a different style of magnet arrangement if I recall I think transfiguration now uses the same or a similar design,

I also see the new Audio Technica cart has a cart that they offer a service that replaces the entire stylus, cantilever, coil assemblies as well. But it is only offered for their TOTL cart.

Is there not? If not then why did some Signet cartridges have set screws to bolt the stylus assembly in?

Now i am not a moving magnet cartridge guy, but didnt some hobbyists super glue stylus assemblies in place to minimize resonanc characteristics?

Regards
Mister Pig
Yes, true.

The current Nagaoka MP 500 has a set screw holding the stylus in place.

And ... I like the boron cantilever’s that I have heard.

Sony made MC carts with replaceable stylus, as I own one. It also incorporated a different style of magnet arrangement if I recall I think transfiguration now uses the same or a similar design,

I also see the new Audio Technica cart has a cart that they offer a service that replaces the entire stylus, cantilever, coil assemblies as well. But it is only offered for their TOTL cart.
Yes , I just bought the Audio Technica new VM740ML ( Micro Line ) stylus and it is interchangeable with a Shibata or SLC styli . I'm having it mounted ( professionally this Saturday ) can't wait to hear the difference

That's not what he said, JP. Don't misquote someone to strengthen your own case.

I don't have a case. Friction fit != parasitic losses as a rule is all I was saying. I'm fairly certain John understood.

Yes , I just bought the Audio Technica new VM740ML ( Micro Line ) stylus and it is interchangeable with a Shibata or SLC styli . I'm having it mounted ( professionally this Saturday ) can't wait to hear the difference
I've been using an OLD ADC Series 1 cartridge and am looking forward to the new Audio Technica.VM740ML , which has an aluminum alloy cantilever and housing ( Gold Plated )

A Signet, AT-OC9ML/II, Sony XL-MC1 which is a MC cart that has replaceable stylus, Grado Reference Sonato wood body, Denon DL-110, Ortofon LM30, and on my Mono table a GE VRII.

A Signet, AT-OC9ML/II, Sony XL-MC1 which is a MC cart that has replaceable stylus, Grado Reference Sonato wood body, Denon DL-110, Ortofon LM30, and on my Mono table a GE VRII.
WOW!!! 7 different cartridges? Now that's dedication to the sound , I like that.

I have more, I just forget all of them, I have my Stanton 681eee on my Empire table that I use with my Fisher, Altec system, just a mix of all kinds of stuff I rotate. A bunch of old Shures, V15 III.

Last edited:
I have more, I just forget all of them, I have my Stanton 681eee on my Empire table that I use with my Fisher, Altec system, just a mix of all kinds of stuff I rotate.
Question for you!! Do you think my LP's that have been played using the old Micro styli on my ADC have been worn to the point that I shouldn't use a $209 Styli? Or , should the new Micro Line be durable enough to weather the storm. I'd hate to buy ALL new Vinyl , although , IO am going to invest in some new LP's

Question for you!! Do you think my LP's that have been played using the old Micro styli on my ADC have been worn to the point that I shouldn't use a $209 Styli? Or , should the new Micro Line be durable enough to weather the storm. I'd hate to buy ALL new Vinyl , although , IO am going to invest in some new LP's
My vinyl is in pristine ( physical ) condition and sound fine , however , I'm concerned that the new cartridge is going to pick up everything that the old styli carved up in the grooves of my LP's

I have more, I just forget all of them, I have my Stanton 681eee on my Empire table that I use with my Fisher, Altec system, just a mix of all kinds of stuff I rotate. A bunch of old Shures, V15 III.
I used to have a Stanton 681 EEE , I wish I still had it. Bought it brand new in 1980 with my very first turntable. I sold the TT and cartridge , should have kept the Stanton and made the guy buy his own cartridge.

Just my opinion but unless your old stylus was damaged or seriously worn I doubt it carved out anything. I still play my records that I purchased as a teen back in the early 70's and they sound great. I took really good care of them, and even though I played them a lot, they still sound really nice. And back then we didn't have RCM's only disc washers, and/or damp cloths.

Boron tube seems to be the statistical leader here. Tapered aluminum appears to remain popular as ever.

Back
Top Bottom