Denon dp 80 vs yamaha gt 2000

I know my pioneer and JVCs if I drag a finger I can get it down to zero rpm momentarily

Not a scientific test in the least,
I had a friend over who wanted to see just how the TT-101 reacted to slowing down the platter with his finger
on the mat and watching the RPM display indicator while set to 33.3 rpm.
He proceeded to apply increasing pressure until I felt uncomfortable and removed his hand for him,
the indicated speed display did not change at all but I was done with his test.

I had a friend over who wanted to see just how the TT-101 reacted to slowing down the platter with his finger
on the mat and watching the RPM display indicator while set to 33.3 rpm.
He proceeded to apply increasing pressure until I felt uncomfortable and removed his hand for him,
the indicated speed display did not change at all but I was done with his test.

Wow! I think I read somewhere that in radio station use it's pretty common up stop the platter with a hand momentarily to swap lps. That's nuts!

The TT-101 will turn off after x seconds of an over-current condition to the motor. I don't remember how long, but the service manual states it.

DJs stop their platters all the time. But the TT-101 is not a Technics 1200. It's a great TT but its fragility is well known — there's a loooong thread about it on A-gon. If you're lucky enough to have one, and it works properly, play it and be thankful — but don't play around with it.

If a radio station ever had any JVC TT-101 a DJ wasn't playing top 40, probably the station had a dedicated tech who was responsible for operating the turntables and the announcer was in a separate booth. Kent is the real expert here but I would venture to say that the most commonly found DD tables used by radio stations was in this order starting with Technics, Denon, EMT, Sony.

Last edited:
there's a loooong thread about it on A-gon.

Most of the "are we living dangerously" concerns at least regarding Failing IC,s have long ago fallen
by the wayside.
That said the TT-101 is still one seriously complicated Table.

Last edited:
The TT-101 is still one seriously complicated Table.
Definitely. I have a Denon DP80 and a NOS Micro Seiki DQX-1000 — both are much simpler. They're great decks. Is the 101 really far superior?

Last edited:
Definitely. I have a Denon DP80 and a NOS Micro Seiki DQX-1000 — both are much simpler. Is the 101 really far superior?
Good question. I'm not sure how it works out in this situation, but greater complication doesn't necessarily lead to higher performance in the field.

Totem the "we are living dangerously" mania got me suspicious of some market manipulation going on as if all direct drives were going to implode on a experation date. I'm sure the cogging gang had nothing to do with it. Agree that greater complication doesn't necessarily lead to higher performance, subsequent less complicated and cheaper to build models can perform on the same level and sometimes better.

On the list. Need an actual workspace so that I can start collecting more specialized gear.

The Technics motor is unique as it contains a three phase alternator read by three pickup heads that read the variable reluctance of a sinusoidal-shaped mask in the motor which, in turn, generate three constant amplitude sine waves, 120 deg apart. The drive knows the position of the stator to the rotor via this mechanism. Further, these signals comprise the three phase drive for the motor.

This is an SP-10 MKII drive waveform as load is applied to the platter. You'll notice there is no change in frequency, only voltage. The PLL maintains lock during this video. The shifting of the signal is due to where on the signal the scope is triggering.

Last edited:
JP I can't seem to keep straight whether the "new series" Technics are all coreless or not
but all the MKII and MKIII originals where not?

Very cool!

Have you ever scoped one as it starts up? I'm really curious what type of motor start they use.

Aside from an NOS MK2A, I only have MK3s here now. They run at around 3V nominally, but with +/- 32V rails and a 22lb platter, the signal at start is probably far too erratic to capture on a scope.

JP I can't seem to keep straight whether the "new series" Technics are all coreless or not
but all the MKII and MKIII originals where not?

MKII/2A/3, etc. are all cored. All the new ones are coreless.

Any magnetic motor will cog, and a cored motor will cog more than a coreless one. However, in any competently designed DD the PLL has no issue compensating for this.

Back
Top Bottom