Looking for a $200ish very warm integrated receiver

I don't know which sounds better, but the feel of the controls on my Sansui 2000A (little brother to the 4000) are the most magnificent I have ever felt in non-McIntosh gear.

I hope it felt better than the two Sansui 881s I had, as they both felt like crap.

I had thought some beeswax would fix the string issue, but turns out it needs to be restrung. Doesnt sound like a fun job. Trying to go look at the Pioneer but the woman is clearly off her rocker and nasty over email for no reason. May have to go back to hunting.....

I will echo Ds2000's recommendation for the older Onkyos.
They seem to be way undervalued in the market as well.

I have a TX-3000 in my living room system and it is a seriously good receiver.
It has way more power than is needed in a bedroom though.

I am thinking that at the low listening levels that OP plans speaker selection and placement will be crucial as well.

Onkyo is not very warm sounding, neither is Denon. Both brightish. ....

My TX-3000 is quite warm in tone, despite being from 1981, a time when things began moving toward 'clarity' in tone.
It is very comparable to my SX-950 in its sound, but it is notably stronger in the low frequencies.
My Onkyo has not been touched, whereas the Pioneer has all new caps and transistors, so there is room for debating the general applicability of my observations.

I just looked up the Onkyo TX3000. I had to evacuate NOLA from Katrina and ended up staying at someones house who I am pretty sure had that receiver. I was too distracted to look at the model number but looks the same in pics. I recall hearing Muddy Waters King Bee album on it and it left an impression for sure-

Tuner string issues are not an easy fix most of the time. I would take the Pioneer over the other if you have to re string it.

I've only done one restring and it was on a Pioneer SX-750. I found the service manual and it wasn't that bad. I may have got lucky with one that was easy but if I really wanted a receiver I wouldn't let a broke string stop me. Everybody thinks different though.

I am surprised to hear this. The controls on my 771 have a very solid damped feel to them.
Perhaps a little lubricant is needed in the pots?

My opinion as well. Most of my gear has been drenched in F5 until the controls worked smoothly, but the 2000A I did nothing to and all the pots feel like they're packed with silicone oil.

I've actually been investigating other lube options; at some point I may try the stuff my tech uses if I can stomach the price, because I got a Marantz 4270 with super bad controls and even after repeated D5/F5 drenchings they went from "awful" to "OK, they work" but when I got it back from him it was now "OK, that's really not bad"

Sorry for the derail... I can't offer an opinion never having had a Pioneer receiver.

I've only done one restring and it was on a Pioneer SX-750. I found the service manual and it wasn't that bad. I may have got lucky with one that was easy but if I really wanted a receiver I wouldn't let a broke string stop me. Everybody thinks different though.

I downloaded the service manual for the 4000 but there is no diagram for the string. Since its not on right now, not sure really how much would be involved...

I am surprised to hear this. The controls on my 771 have a very solid damped feel to them.
Perhaps a little lubricant is needed in the pots?

It was not that...the "feel" is just light and cheap feeling compared to the Sony and Kenwood (and Realistic and Pioneer and especially Marantz) 70s models I own. I went through two of them, of course they both had the infamous warped light box that needed re soldered. They sounded nice but I was not impressed compared to other brands from that era. Later 70s Sansuis were a lot better feeling.

You could pick up a brand spanking new JLH 1969 Hood repro amp + used tuner for that . No risk of aging caps and fantastic sound. Keep you warm in winter too ;)

Get it in silver and get a nice silver tuner....

Nothing gets warmer than a NAD 7020 or Pioneer SX-626. The 7020 because it is based on the 3020 amp, the 626 because it uses a cap coupled output.

Lee.

It was not that...the "feel" is just light and cheap feeling compared to the Sony and Kenwood (and Realistic and Pioneer and especially Marantz) 70s models I own. I went through two of them, of course they both had the infamous warped light box that needed re soldered. They sounded nice but I was not impressed compared to other brands from that era. Later 70s Sansuis were a lot better feeling.

That is interesting comment. I have an Pioneer SX-1000 that has the feeling of billet aluminum. Everything so tight and solid.
When I cleaned the control pots with contact cleaner they went all loose and floppy, which really disappointed me.
After they dried for an hour, the solid feeling was back.
Hence my comment about lubricant.

My 771 has a distinct substantial feel to the controls.

As interesting as this side topic is, I think we are getting sufficiently off topic that we are stepping on OP's thread.

Since you're back in the hunt, I'll add another vote for the little Sherwood S-7100A. I'm listening to one as I type this. It's in a dedicated vinyl system, with a Realistic LAB-440 turntable (and a Signet TK10ML cartridge) and a pair of JBL L19A speakers I recently recapped and refoamed. This modest little system sounds simply amazing. All of these modest components punch way above their weight class.

Search "Kenwood KR" on ebay. Also "Sony STR". Plenty of selection that falls within your $200 budget. A lot of times, more power means faster amp and less warmth but I highly recommend you go for as many watts as you can afford. This will help to drive 6 Ohm speakers and provide more of a cushion against clipping.

i'm voting for a Sony STR 60 or 70 series. i have the STR 6055 and the STR 7045, which it turns out are the same unit. the STR 6055 must have been good to keep in the line-up. Anyway the 7045 is my bedroom unit. very nice sound, great set of controls. i've paired it with Wharfedale W60s. I'm a Sansui fan, but after getting these Sonys, i'll always have one. plus i dig the aesthetics.

Take a look at the JVC R-S33. Very nice 40 wpc receiver with built in 5 band EQ. Under the radar and can be had under your budget.

Dont get too wrapped up in what receiver sounds more "warm". Speakers are the most important part of how a system sounds. Most all 70s receivers have a great sound so really the best thing to do is concentrate more on condition and not brand or model. Find a vintage unit in the best condition for your budget.

The Sherwood 7100 is a great suggestion. I have one myself, in fact. The only concern there is repeated use of the power switch, which is a known weakness in these.

I have a little Superscope 1220 in our guest room. It is a great little low- powered receiver, and talk about warm.

20180216_071152.jpg

Nothing gets warmer than a NAD 7020 or Pioneer SX-626. The 7020 because it is based on the 3020 amp, the 626 because it uses a cap coupled output.

Lee.

I'd want an NAD if looking for warmth in a receiver, and this is the guy I'd want to buy from, even though I'd have to ante up a bit more than the OP's budget to obtain one of leesonic's exemplary rebuilds (with upgrades). If he'd done a remote-control model (which I need, due to health handicap), like the C 740, I'd likely own one now.

Ten years ago I bought a used C 740 priced well within the OP's budget, and have since gifted it to a relative. A good, working one would very likely please the OP, though the look may not. Not the silver face many here want, but the SQ is excellent, imo.

Back
Top Bottom