Your Opinion: Magnum Opus Works in Music

The Shaggs
The Philosophy Of The World
(Third World Records, 1969)

I'll stand by this assertion to my death: one of the greatest, most honest "rock" albums recorded in this human realm. I would not part with my MINT copy for USD 10,000. $20,000 maybe.

Twofer for a single recording artist:

Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence (Bobb, 1980)
Bobb Trimble - Harvest Of Dreams (Bobb, 1982)

It's something you must hear to appreciate. It's out @ utoob, seek and enjoy!

The Who - “Quadrophenia”
The best Who rock opera, better than “Tommy” (even “A Quick One while He’s Away” is better than Tommy”).
The theme of teen suicide is very much in the public eye today, and Townshend nails it. Plus it has Moon’s drumming mixed prominently, one of only a handful of albums where this would not be a distraction.

These Trails
These Trails
(Synergia, 1973)

Greatest ever Hawaiian PSYCH band, femmevox extraordinaire in Margaret Morgan, exquisite compositions all through the LP. It's been reissued @ least once by the band. Sadly, Margaret passed a way several years ago, not around long enough to experience the renewed interest in her band and her amazing vocal talent.

Julian Cope: Peggy Suicide (Island, 1991) Double LP or 70 minute CD.

R-6677607-1425626351-6387.jpeg.jpg

Cope turns his sights on religion, environmentalism, and political activism. He's stayed in that mode for decades now, but this initial burst of creativity and catchy rock was arguably the peak, filled up and overflowing with these newfound passions.

Tears for Fears -- The Seeds of Love (1989).

Roland and Curt take a leaf from the Becker/Fagen notebook, assembling one of the finest groups of studio pros and upper echelon guests to be heard from during the decade. The result: tight, sophisticated arrangements of worthwhile songs spiced with musical virtuosity. Not a clunker on the entire album.

That Rubber Soul is better, heh heh?

Seriously though, the one-two punch of RS and Revolver is staggering. More so if you think about the other tracks from then that weren't on the albums.

It is a close call, but as a 1-2 punch they're up there w/ the best of 'em. Stones had a pretty good run b/w late '68 and '72 (i.e., Beggars... through Exile...), which just might take the prize in the "best consecutive album run @ Rock". Just my dva kopecks.

The Who - “Quadrophenia”
The best Who rock opera, better than “Tommy” (even “A Quick One while He’s Away” is better than Tommy”).
The theme of teen suicide is very much in the public eye today, and Townshend nails it. Plus it has Moon’s drumming mixed prominently, one of only a handful of albums where this would not be a distraction.

But gotta say Tommy is darned close to a genuine magnum opus, so groundbreaking, innovative, and, well, just a lotta great numbers that flowed very well. But I, too, would cheat over a vote for Quad, an album I have listened to and loved for some 44 years.

It is a close call, but as a 1-2 punch they're up there w/ the best of 'em. Stones had a pretty good run b/w late '68 and '72 (i.e., Beggars... through Exile...), which just might take the prize in the "best consecutive album run @ Rock". Just my dva kopecks.
I think I'd give the nod to the Stones when it comes to runs. At least when it comes to rock.

Right up there, for me, is the Black Crowes' SHAMC, Amorica, Three Snakes. Plus the 'b-side' material from that era.
I'd put Southern Harmony up there for this thread. It's a lot like Exile, in that it's an album.

The Who - “Quadrophenia”
I agree.

It's also packaged as well as almost any album I've ever seen.
I've owned the Mofi CD set for years but I came across a vinyl copy awhile back. I had a day off on a birthday and decided to hit the music stores. Stumbled on a NM copy and grabbed it. The book and such on that one is truly impressive. Pete had some pull.

Al Stewart
Year Of The Cat
(RCA, 1976)

Long a favourite LP and IMO a stunning array of top-notch numbers and a fine production. Certainly not overrated @ the time, what w/ a worldwide hit in the title track, but a since forgotten album I'd say, sadly. It's a helluva nice listen and I recommend one play it end2end as every track fits perfectly w/ what follows.

Interesting topic for a different thread -- best 1-2 punches, as in consecutive album releases. For my money, the best Stones 1-2 punch is that of "Let it Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers". Don't know whether it's Jimmy Miller's production talents or the gradual integration of Mick T. into the band, but these two hit me where I live.

Southern Harmony is the antidote to the so-called "sophomore curse." I've got the 45rpm singles from that era. Inexpensive and great sound.
Nice.
I own a bunch of the CD singles from that era. I've got a cassingle(?) that I think has the slow version of Sting Me on it. Chris Robinson did the artwork for it, and yes, he was as stoned for that as he was the recording of the album.

SHAMC was also the antidote to almost everything else at the time. Except for The Four Horsemen's Nobody Said It Would Be Easy I can't think of a rock album from then that seemed so out of place. Which is a good thing.

Great, post. I had never read that previously, I assume it was not from the original LP?

I saw this great line up in 82, in a pretty small place in Ann Arbor MI. Thoroughly enjoyed the show, including the drumming, so it must have worked out.

Yes not on the original LP but on the 30th anniversary edition. Plus a lot of press clippings and tour itineraries

I would have loved to seen this lineup in the 80's. Consider yourself very lucky!

The album that asked the questions: "Are the Beatles still the number one band, are they still capable of being the number one band, are they even relevant anymore?".

Back
Top Bottom