My Buddy Wants to Sell Me His Technics SL-1200MK2

Teej

I already have an SL-Q202 and an SL-D3 (not to mention a Teac TN-300), but I've been around long enough to know the 1200 is kind of a big deal. My question today is: how big?

He bought it brand new in 2010 and has put less than 40 hours on it total. It will come with a Shure M97xE cartridge installed. It is in immaculate condition (he's an ultra-anal neat freak). I've known him for 20 years so there are zero trust issues, not to mention that he suggested I test drive it in my home for a few weeks before buying which I will be doing regardless.

He is asking $500 for the whole setup. I've poked around on eBay and see that they regularly go for more than that, sometimes much more. But I already have a couple of Technics, both of which are fully automatic, I might add, so if anything the 1200 will be less convenient for everyday use. But is it worth it?

I'm leaning towards buying it off him, but I'm still on the fence. I know very little about the 1200.

Thanks!

What's this I read about the SL-1200G? Are they going to start making another table?

With less than 40 hours on the recent production (2010) SL-1200Mk2 and being owned by a neat freak it might as well be brand new. Is it worth it? It's a noticeable step up from your present three tables and in that kind of condition if he has the box/packing material/paperwork/accessories it's at least a $800 table all day long. Don't pass this deal up or later on you will be kicking yourself. Semiauto and auto features are fine when they work but for long term reliability a manual table is superior and more desirable. After you use/hear the 1200 the SL-Q202, SL-D3 and Teac TN-300 will be collecting dust making good candidates for Barter Town and paying for the SL-1200Mk2 in the process. As for midfi tables the SL-1200Mk2 it is the bench mark that all the other tables are compared to. Probably the best known table around the world, copied by many but not equaled.

Last edited:
Is that a good buy? Yes especially considering condition, but its not a steal.

Is the 1200 a good table? Yes, but its not great. It is reliable, functional, and maintains its value.

Will it be better than what you own? Yes but by degrees. I would veture to guess it will not be a paradigm shifting experience.

Should you buy it? Probably, its a fair price and in excellent condition. You could do a lot worse for that price.

But it is not a upper tier table, dont expect it to run with a big dog.

Regards
Mister Pig

There are two models of the "new" 1200 available and both have a long waiting lists of buyers, the SL-1200GR at $1650 and the SL-1200GA at about $4,000. The third TOTL Technics will be out later this year and will sell for $10,000 for the motor unit and with plinth and tonearm for $20,000.

Go for it. I would. Classic and collectible and you know the history and the care it's had.

But I bet the differences in sound will be minimal. You've already got a couple of good Technics tables. This one has a little better tonearm (adjustable VTA).

Difference is that there are lots of upgrades you can do to a 1200.

If there was a TT popularity contest, some version of the 1200 would win it.
I'm not sure what that means but I'd get it because you know so much about it & because of its legendary durability.

Definitely buy it you can always easily get your money back. One of the nicest things about the 1200 is how well it vandles vibration without having to be isolated.

Using the same cartridge, it will not probably sound and different from your SL-D3. But, it will be more rugged, look better and hold its value well. Do you need it, can you afford it? Your call.

1200 is how well it vandles vibration

The pump don't work cause the vandles stole the handles.

He's bringing it by tonight to start the live-in test run. Pretty excited! Haven't had any new equipment in a while.

It is a great table to set up and walk away from . I bought one for $400 about 3-4 years ago. I put it in the front room where the kids can bang into it, and I haven't had an issue. I went through many other tables with the kids ( 3 and 5 ) jacking with them by bumping into the entertainment center. The 1200 tank bumps back.

$500 is a bargain and you will not regret it.

They are a superb turntable and a piece of HiFi you can be legitimately proud to own.

I would go for it. Easy to get your money back if you need to. I would be thinking about an immediate cartridge upgrade or at least a high quality HE stylus.

The money isn't really the issue - it's the fact that I'll suddenly have four turntables. The two Technics I have get used pretty regularly, and the Teac I use occasionally for digitizing vinyl. Now I'll have one more than I really need and will have to either store it or sell one. I already know I'll probably end up disconnecting and storing the SL-D3. I may never sell it as it was my Dad's. Hopefully life in a South Louisiana attic doesn't ruin it.

Sell one or two turntables and buy the SL-1200. It's a better table than all 3 of the other ones you mentioned. Keep the SL-D3 if it has sentimental value. I have one and it's a solid table. I also have 4 turntables at the present time, which is the most I've ever had at one time. They are all connected to a system in my house and all get used.

$500 seems actually a little high to me, BUT... if it is truly pristine I doubt you will regret it. Everyone needs at least one Technics.

Read about the mods online you can do to the 1200.....

The 1200 is about the potential of being better if you have what it takes to make something better. I’m sorry but convenient automatic record changers don’t sound very good.

Back
Top Bottom