Back Alley score set out for trash

AubRock

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
333B97D0-FF2B-485D-A8BF-060877BA612E.jpeg 23CB3E12-7DE2-48DA-90F9-777F2C57702D.jpeg 9B11ECB4-622E-4A92-88C9-08BBAD1CAC97.jpeg Found a Pioneer SA-5800 amp in an alley near my house. Got home powered it up and nothing so I opened it and soldered a couple plug wires that were disconnected, changed a fuse and boom. Came to life! Some major corrosion on the faceplate. Was curious if you can order replacement somewhere.

Here’s a few pics

I'm guessing probably can only get face plate from a donor unit:thumbsup:
I'd be surprised if someone is making reproductions.
I'd be more surprised if there were NOS floating around:idea:

Haha nice find !
Face plates are pretty much a donor unit deal. Original Parts are obsolete.
Try and give it a polish with some metal polish and see how you go.
Be careful around the screen print.
Did it have missing knobs or did you remove these ?

The SA-508 is the same integrated amp with a different model number, perhaps only in a metal case instead of wood. I've got an SA-608 (SA-6800) in my office an arm's reach away right now.

Set up a search at the bay, for that model and the other models that use the same interior, and set it to update you each day, if new results pop up. There are many that are getting into the "parting out" business. You might get lucky....after a while.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I read on a post here a while back that Meguiar's Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner does a fantastic job cleaning up our silver faced electronics without ruining the lettering. I picked up a bottle recently, but haven't tried it yet. The results I saw in the photos were amazing!!!!

actually, it was a youtube video from a guy who was restoring a Sansui QRX7001.

Yeah I should’ve rephrased that last question. Definitely no production of these anymore haha. Was just curious if there was a recommended site for getting donor parts. And I will definitely try to polish it up first, although it looks like some of the corrosion actually started eating into the face. Thanks guys for all the input!

Oh and I took the knobs off when I had it open. Gonna start the restoration process. It’ll be my first major restore. I’ll post pics

Set up a search at the bay, for that model and the other models that use the same interior, and set it to update you each day, if new results pop up. There are many that are getting into the "parting out" business. You might get lucky....after a while.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Was going to recommend this, but, well here it is already LOL. This is exactly how I found a replacement faceplate for my CR-1020 which had an awful 16 digit purchase order number gouged into it.

This Pioneer is a good looking unit! Supposedly, there's a faceplate over there now, but I'd recommend sending a message to the seller to verify the listing since it doesn't have pics.

Was going to recommend this, but, well here it is already LOL. This is exactly how I found a replacement faceplate for my CR-1020 which had an awful 16 digit purchase order number gouged into it.

This Pioneer is a good looking unit! Supposedly, there's a faceplate over there now, but I'd recommend sending a message to the seller to verify the listing since it doesn't have pics.

Cool thanks. I’m gonna check it out now. Appreciate the help from you both!

Found one original faceplate for the SA 5800 on the bay. But the seller has no pics up. Also 2 people gave negative feedback in the last 6 months, saying the seller never sent the item...oh well I’ll keep looking

Found one original faceplate for the SA 5800 on the bay. But the seller has no pics up. Also 2 people gave negative feedback in the last 6 months, saying the seller never sent the item...oh well I’ll keep looking

Send a message to the seller first just asking if the item is still available, and if so, if they would provide some pics. If the seller responds, then good, maybe your search is already over - and if no response, well, you're no worse off than now. Most transactions on eBay are still covered by paypal in the event you buy and the seller doesn't ship. If it was me looking for a part I know is going to be hard to find, I'd at least give that lead a shot. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom