Would 2A3 tubes be a good choice for building an amp?

bigcaddy64

After lots of searching/shopping, i've come to the realization that buying a tube amp for a song isn't going to happen anytime soon. Since that Nigerian prince isn't going to send me my money for some time, i guess i'll have to do the next best thing....build one.

I visited a customer last night and ended up buying a few things unrelated to audio but made quite the discovery in a back closet. A rather large collection of RCA Radiotron 2A3 & 6B4 tubes

Offhand i'm not familiar with tubes so i relayed the info to my brother and he said they are common in old radios but were also used in audio tube amps.

Are there DIY kits that provide all of the needed parts, less tubes, so i can assemble an amp? I know you can order every part under the sun but i'd like to start out with something basic and work my way up.

I've never attempted a build like this before but could probably make it happen

There are kits on ebay - as on aliexpress. I think you need to research the sound quality and availability of each type of tube.

I am in the same position as you myself.

If you get no response here - repost in the Tube section.

Are there DIY kits that provide all of the needed parts, less tubes, so i can assemble an amp? I know you can order every part under the sun but i'd like to start out with something basic and work my way up.

The Bottlehead Stereomour II would be one option, but it comes with tubes. You'd have to call them about omitting the 2A3's from the kit.

Just understand you only get maybe 5 watts per channel so you'll need very sensitive speakers.

More like 3.5w from a 2A3, but they are very sweet watts.

jeff

Old stock 2a3 tubes are not the cheapest. The fun to dollar ratio is too far to the expensive side for me. I'd look into making a 6L6 OR 6BQ5 amp. Those tubes are cheap as chips and will be made until the end of time... NOS 2a3 tubes have and purpose, which in my opinion is to live in your closet and grow in value faster and more reliably than the stock market...

My favorite amp was a 2A3. Go for it. Bottlehead will sell you a tube-less kit if you talk to them, but they are pricey.

The 2a3 Steremour kit is priced at 1K which is far cry from what my 2a3 Bottlehead Paramours cost a few years ago. I've owned some great sounding Chinese 2a3 amps and for the price they're hard to beat.

A 2a3 Bowei ( Sun amp look alike ) can be had for around $500. The highly regarded 2a3 Raphaelite Sinovet costs around 1K. Raphaelite is also one of the leading transformer manufactures in Asia.

As for vintage 2a3 tubes I bought some expensive RCA's which sound nice but I prefer the far less expensive Shunguang 2a3c in my Paramours.

The 2a3 Steremour kit is priced at 1K which is far cry from what my 2a3 Bottlehead Paramours cost a few years ago. I've owned some great sounding Chinese 2a3 amps and for the price they're hard to beat.

A 2a3 Bowei ( Sun amp look alike ) can be had for around $500. The highly regarded 2a3 Raphaelite Sinovet costs around 1K. Raphaelite is also one of the leading transformer manufactures in Asia.

As for vintage 2a3 tubes I bought some expensive RCA's which sound nice but I prefer the far less expensive Shunguang 2a3c in my Paramours.

What are those Chinese 2A3 amps? I've been trying to replace my Paramours that I stupidly sold off and Bottlehead has priced themselves out of my wheelhouse.

What are those Chinese 2A3 amps? I've been trying to replace my Paramours that I stupidly sold off and Bottlehead has priced themselves out of my wheelhouse.

Search Bowei 2a3 and Raphaelite Sinovet 2a3/300b. Both can be found on the bay and the latter is often on Amazon.

My very first amp build was a 300B. I've built two now. I was going to go with the 2A3 but found more choices and better prices with the 300B. The second 300B is still built to put out only 6 to 7wpc.

My very first amp build was a 300B. I've built two now. I was going to go with the 2A3 but found more choices and better prices with the 300B. The second 300B is still built to put out only 6 to 7wpc.

Better prices with 300B? I've always seen it the other way around... But no matter... I love the 2A3 sound. 2.5 watts is more than enough for me.

At $50 each the Shuguang 2a3c is hard to beat. Beautiful looking and sounding tube and taller than vintage 2a3's. Doubt you can find a 300b anywhere near that price.

43134_1.gif

Back
Top Bottom