Fakes on eBay.. just how bad are they?

I'm not sure why there would be disagreement with any of what I've said in this regard.

The underlying point to all of it is, "if it's too good to be true it probably is". I'd guess that adage predates everyone on the forum.

That doesn't cover every conceivable situation, but it's a damn good place to start.

I get exactly what you're saying. I consider it a 70 dollar education, and won't be buying connectors, cables or anything like that on ebay anytime soon.

Not disagreeing at all with that.. but you made it sound like everyone on ebay is trying to get something for nothing... maybe I just read it that way. :)

Something for nothing? Not literally, anyway. Proverbially? Yeah, I think that is the case most of the time.

I get exactly what you're saying. I consider it a 70 dollar education, and won't be buying connectors, cables or anything like that on ebay anytime soon.

I do have one question.... do the fakes sound any different than the real deal? ::runs away:: :)

Why do people shop on eBay?

Can't find it elsewhere.
Looking for a better deal than they see elsewhere.

It's 50/50 out of the box, but betting it's a lot higher than that for the price/deal aspect.

Again, nothing inherent wrong looking for a better deal...but...

Can't find it anywhere else.

It's 50/50 out of the box, but betting it's a lot higher than that for the price aspect.

Well maybe it's me, but ebay lately is where I go to laugh at the ridiculously high prices people are asking for unrestored and often broken vintage audio. I haven't seen a bargain on ebay for years.

I do have one question.... do the fakes sound any different than the real deal? ::runs away:: :)
I'm sure they will. Gold,or fake gold over brass sounds much different than real gold over pure copper. I've experienced it by experimenting with Neotech vs Parts Express bananas. I'm still waiting for a second set of FP-202s to come in from Douglas Connection (they're on back order) so I'll have to get back to you on that one. But that's really a discussion for another forum.

Well maybe it's me, but ebay lately is where I go to laugh at the ridiculously high prices people are asking for unrestored and often broken vintage audio. I haven't seen a bargain on ebay for years.
Very rarely there are scores to be had, I got a Kenwood C2, and an L-07C ll for really great prices. Lately though you are right, there is some stupid money being thrown around for L-series gear in particular.

Can't find it elsewhere.

It's 50/50 out of the box, but betting it's a lot higher than that for the price/deal aspect.

Again, nothing inherent wrong looking for a better deal...but...
Exactly. Buyer beware!

But that's really a discussion for another forum.

Indeed... the "Let's Call Each Other Crazy" forum. :)

But seriously.. i hope you finally get your real ones and let us know how it went. Actually, it wuoldn't be a bad idea to start another thread over in the cable forum to document the whole adventure. Then you can turn this lemon into lemonade!

Indeed... the "Let's Call Each Other Crazy" forum. :)

But seriously.. i hope you finally get your real ones and let us know how it went. Actually, it wuoldn't be a bad idea to start another thread over in the cable forum to document the whole adventure. Then you can turn this lemon into lemonade!
Fist of all LOL!
Secondly, not a bad idea. When the real connectors come in (which should be soon according to Doug at Douglas Connection) I'm going to take some side by side pics with the fakes so the vendor can notify eBay and Furutech. Maybe I'll start that thread then. Diggin your Avatar pic btw!

Back
Top Bottom