Pro-ject 1 xpression carbon classic any good?

EL Duke-A

Hello all, upgrading from technics sl 3300 which works fine and has served me well these last few years. Considering pro ject 1 xpression carbon classic. Seems decent and looks great. Would love to get opinions here of this table.

Reading some things about hum from motor and the anti-skate design being potential issues but those posts were dated so not sure if still issues. The anti-skate does look kind of delecate and unsophisticated but maybe its just fine, not sure.

Should i consider other tables in this price range? Will this improve record sound over my old technics 3300 (assume same cartridge, amp and speakers)?

Thanks.

Why are you wanting to change? The Technics (in good condition) is a fine turntable. You would probably have to spend a good deal of money to better it with a new machine. Have you thought of servicing it and/or upgrading the cartridge. These units will take most normal high mass (5 gram) cartridges.

Which table do you have now? SL-1300 or SL-3300. If it was me and I intended to make a noticeable upgrade I'd be saving up for a new Technics SL-1200GR (($1,600). Your two present tables could be used as a down payment on the GR. Would be an excellent fit with your vintage equipment and cartridges. With any luck the GR should serve you well for the next 50 years.

Have you looked at the threads complaining about defects in Pro-Ject turntables? Motor noise, warped platters?

If you want better sound, you really have to have a balanced system, which is not achieved by upgrading one component. Looking at your system, the turntable and the electronics are the weak points - you have good cartridges and speakers. Having high-quality transducer components is important, but at some point you have to upgrade all the way through.

The SL-3300 is solid and built to last but you can't say that about many of the the past and current offerings from Pro-Ject. I still own a Pro-Ject 1.2 but I had to replace the motor and also isolate it from the plinth to get rid of the hum. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

Thanks for all the replies and comments. Very much appreciated.

The chain of equipment in question is: sl-3300 TT, nagaoka 100 (red) cart, onkyo A-7 using its phono stage which i actually like, and infinity rsIIIs which are these cool old 80 lb real wood veneer tower speakers.

I am asking myself the same question about the table. My current one is fine, but was thinking a new table might sound better (and look cooler which i’m ashamed to admit matters to me).

So i guess the question is, would i get an improvement in sound moving from the 3300 to a clearaudio concept or similar quality table (assume same cart for point of this discussion)?

Starting to think i might stay away from pro ject tables...

I really like the A-7 integrated and RSIIIs, so not looking to change those.

Welcome all thoughts and opinions.

Another option to better sound quality would be upgrading your record cleaning system. With a number of people purchasing ultrasonic cleaners their former RCMs have been put up for sale. A nice condition preowned VPI 16.5 RCM should run you $350-400, it would sound like you did a major component upgrade. Not to be overlooked are the RCMs from Nitty Gritty in the same price range.

Good point and i entirely agree, clean records make a HUGE difference IMO.

I actually have a very good and effective method for cleaning records but if that were not the case, this suggestion would be totally spot on.

Agree with the RCM. Clean records go a long way in improving SQ. I think to get a significant upgrade of the table itself you’d have to go to the Clearaudio or Rega. I owned an Expression at one point and while it wasn’t horrible, it wasn’t great.

An RCM and a cartridge upgrade might be the biggest upgrade you can make, no question IMO.

Nice system, BTW.

Good deal. After this and multiple other comments saying rega or CA, i will focus my search there if i end up chaning tables.

Had a Denon DL-160 on this set-up but wore through the needle. It needs to either be retipped or i could sell maybe as is for someone else to retip and use money towards cart upgrade.

Actually had an offer to exchange my spent 160 for sumiko blue point no.2 for $300, both high output moving coils which i like the concept of. Loved my 160 and sad they dont make anymore.

Money might be more smartly spent on having the Denon DL-160 retipped by either Soundsmith or Andy, guaranteed improvement in sound quality for a lot less than a new table.

Would that be Andy Kim from Phono cartridge repair and retipping in WA?

I looked at soundsmith’s web site and seemed like my cost would be about $300ish to retip the 160. Dont remember, but dont think i paid that much for the dl 160. That is also the cost for a new sumiko blue point 2 so then i just think (assuming i have cost to retip right ... about $300), would i be better off with a whole new cart? I honestly dont know. Kind of on the fence about that decision.

Also might want to consider that you really liked the sound of the DL-160 and the Blue Point will be an unknown unless you have already heard a sample. I had Soundsmith retip a Grace F9R (Ruby) and was very happy with the results. If either one does the retip the results should be a like new cartridge, if anything better sounding . Yes Andy Kim in WA.

So retipping services offer alluminium and sapphire canilever options ($220 and $300 respectively), which do you guys recommend?

I hear good things about soundsmith and andy kim, any reason to go with one over the other?

Peter/Sounsmith is very busy, you can ship the DL-160 for evaluation and ask his opinion of which stylus he would recommend, the price difference of $80 should be insignificant. Peter is very busy and it might take up to two months to get the cartridge back from him, Andy is quicker if that makes a difference. Both have excellent reputations so it's a difficult choice.

Thanks. Exactly the detail i was looking for. Actually reached out to andy and he respknded quickly. Definately going to retip denon 160... always liked that cartridge.

EL-Duke-A Andy will get you back on track with your DL-160, I wouldn't cheap out on the retip, get the best stylus you can afford. There was a lot of disappointment when Denon discontinued the DL-160 as expressed by many AK members who owned one. This will be the best way of keeping your present system in tact but also getting the most performance out of it for minimal cost, didn't sound like you really wanted to go down the rabbit hole of a new high priced table and all the accompanying components that would need to follow it.

Thanks majick. I think all your advice is spot on. Clean records and a good cart seem like the most impactful and economical upgrades one can make to a turntable. In fact, withe the denon 160 and 103 and my supper effective homemade record cleaning setup, i’va accomplished both of these things.

Probably unwise, but ended up finding a deal on a rega 6 i could not pass up. Its the current model which i think they released late last yr. maybe (slate gray/matte black). Going to move my denon 103 mc cart and pro-ject phono box se II over to the rega and pipe through the onkyo A7 amd infinity RSIIIs. This set up will be in my room where we entertain company the most. Then retip my 160 for my technics 1300 (will go with whatever cantilever andy recommends) and pipe through my onkyo tx8500 and klipsch heresys for my man cave where i play cards, work on bprojects etc.

This was not the best/most economical decision i could make, but just got too excited about having an awesome looking table incorporated into myset up. And hopfully the p6 will sound nice.... You only live once right.

Back
Top Bottom