My JBL4312 RestoMod Project

As I big MCM and danish modern fan, I love seeing all the furniture goodies.

As they say, they don’t make stuff like they used to.

I feel that JBL also has some incredible looking stuff from that era too. (Paragon, metragon Olympus, etc)

According to some, it can't be a resto mod unless it has a modern chassis to hold the big azz wheels and tires.

On the other hand, there are certainly many who consider mine a resto mod, even though the chassis is only modified using over the counter pieces.

cid_C268A949-2596-4DD5-9648-19AFCF811F8B_home.jpg

cid_F261A157-38B7-4200-8EE7-886BF9F8326C_home.jpg

Ooops, wrong forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...s-with-spinner-and-still-be-a-restro-mod.html

Great job Woody. I look forward to the finishing touches, as I am sure you do. All the photos distracted me, what again are your plans for the grilles?

Great space deserved of the great photography. We have collected a fair amount of MCM pieces too, but we don't have an open space like that so it is good to see those out in the open.

Great job Woody. I look forward to the finishing touches, as I am sure you do. All the photos distracted me, what again are your plans for the grilles?

I recovered the stock grill frames with black cloth from Parts Express. The grills will overlap the badges by 1/4” the same as original. My thinking was you could,put the grills on to make them more low key, and then take them off to expose the blue for party mode.

- Woody

You have great taste (I really like the JBL's, your loft, and the furniture too!) I much prefer the JBL's with the grills off though, the blue is just so iconic. Looking forward to seeing the finished speakers, once the engraving shop finishes their work.

You have great taste. Looking forward to seeing the finished speakers, once the engraving shop finishes their work.

Thank you!

Me too! I hope they get me the badges this week. They are so close to being called done.

I’m trying to think if there is an alternative to velcro for grill attachment. I should have installed magnets before I painted.

- Woody

Pics of the grills in post #8.

- Woody

Got the "foilcals" back today. The stainless is really cool. I think they are going to look great against the blue. I'll install them tonight. Here's a peek.

- Woody

IMG_5642.JPG IMG_5648.JPG IMG_5643.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5636.JPG IMG_5637.JPG

Those look awesome! Looking forward to seeing the installed pics. I'd also be pleased to know the name of the firm that did the engraving, because they do top notch work!

Got the "foilcals" back today. The stainless is really cool. I think they are going to look great against the blue. I'll install them tonight. Here's a peek.

- Woody

View attachment 1107339 View attachment 1107340 View attachment 1107341 View attachment 1107342 View attachment 1107343 View attachment 1107346 View attachment 1107347 View attachment 1107348 View attachment 1107349

Wow! Simply wow!! You're making me rethink my plans for my 4301B grills. I was just going to lose the cheap plastic banners with the simple, classic JBL badges, but if I could get something like this...

Those look awesome! Looking forward to seeing the installed pics. I'd also be pleased to know the name of the firm that did the engraving, because they do top notch work!

I just used a local engraver I’ve worked with for years. Any place that does plaques and trophy’s and the like should be able to produce stuff like this.

I’m a graphic designer for a living... so the tricky part is doing the artwork to exactly match the originals. I chose to modify it a bit, omitting my non-sequential serial numbers for the “Special Edition” nomenclature.

I installed them tonight using a big of adhesive silicon. I’m letting them cure overnight. I’m pleased with them.

A couple notes. The big one is this shows me that JBL wasn’t super exact with the hole placement on the baffles. I didn’t notice it before... but if you look really closely the knobs won’t be perfectly centered in mine. JBLs stock knobs were about 16mm in diameter. I undersize my cutouts a bit to give a tighter fit. I’ve also chosen to use a lower profile non stock knob. This makes it a little more obvious. But still, I’m happy. I fudged the position of the badges a bit to try and visually center the knobs as much as possible.

Also, just to be clear. These are printed on the matierial using a very high end inkjet printer. The ink is kinda raised up and looks very much like it was screen printed on. I think it looks cool. They printed white underneath to make the color, like the orange stay true, they didn’t really use what we call in the printing world “trapping” so if you look at them from like 1-2” away you can see a glint or white around some of the edges. It won’t be something a normal person sees... but I’m a picky designer and while they are 100% acceptable, I wouldn’t call them 100% perfect.

If they were black on black baffles like the stock foilcals, then I would open up the holes for the knobs a couple mm’s since you wouldn’t really notice it. I was just trying to be more precise than they were back in the day.

Here’s a couple more teasers.

- Woody

72AAE13B-F432-47E9-B9AF-B8B366EF3E7F.jpeg CB8E1525-906E-428F-8E3C-54F877A08D06.jpeg 54FFB256-F896-470E-9AE1-B3F78FEB372A.jpeg C62BD6C6-097C-474A-8583-ED9873026E94.jpeg

Waiting on a replacement knob for one I messed up, but other than installing Velcro again, I guess they are pretty much finished. I’ll take some good photos in the daylight with my good camera this weekend.

- Woody
8A97AD66-7264-4582-82D3-BF1C02068EC6.jpeg 884AEB8A-8123-4BA9-85BA-5D5D5BBBF585.jpeg

Really beautiful work! Every decision you've made has been an improvement over the original. Even the grill cloth is an improvement. My 4311B's have black grill cloth but they totally obscure the drivers. The gc you used has just enough transparency to allow the drivers to be be visually present.

Awesome!

Really beautiful work! Every decision you've made has been an improvement over the original. Even the grill cloth is an improvement. My 4311B's have black grill cloth but they totally obscure the drivers. The gc you used has just enough transparency to allow the drivers to be be visually present.

Awesome!

Thank you. Also... that might have been your 4,000th post. Congrats on the milestone.

I agree on the subtle improvements. I always think about what might a modern version look like. Or maybe not modern as much as a version informed by modern design.

I like what I do with stuff. I’m never concerned with originality. I figure if I think they are cool then someone else will as well if I decide to sell them. They are getting sold. I don’t have a need for them and I’ve enjoyed the project. Not I’ll enjoy a little profit. But not really if I figured in my hourly rate. ;-)

-Woody

Those turned out nice! Your cabinets started out in a lot better shape than the ones I have. I think mine will need new veneer if I want furniture grade looks from them.

I like the way you replaced the dented caps on the mids, I've been tossing that option around myself. The stainless plates look good with the blue baffle, it actually makes it look like it's made for a control room. Mine are more for a furniture look, what would I use if I wanted a brushed finish like that in black?

My daughter would dig most of the furniture in your place, she has the same ideas, and to my surprise has bought several pieces like that. At 23, she's pretty impressive. Great post, woody.

According to some, it can't be a resto mod unless it has a modern chassis to hold the big azz wheels and tires.

On the other hand, there are certainly many who consider mine a resto mod, even though the chassis is only modified using over the counter pieces.

cid_C268A949-2596-4DD5-9648-19AFCF811F8B_home.jpg

cid_F261A157-38B7-4200-8EE7-886BF9F8326C_home.jpg

be still, my heart

Back
Top Bottom