Pioneer SPEC 2 restoration help

I am getting ready to have the SPEC-2 heatsinks anodized. I was hit with the following question when I spoke with the customer service guy at the company doing the anodizing..."Do you want Type I or Type II anodizing?" Well, I know what the differences are and the guy recommended Type II. If anyone has done this before (EchoWars?), which one did you choose and why? I'm hearing $75 and up to have this done.

Oh well. Everyone has said this restoration wasn't going to be cheap.

Side note: I just scored a Tektronix 475A for the SPEC-2 Driver board alignment. I'll post the short story on the scope in DIY this evening. I have some questions regarding getting the scope ready for use.

Thanks all, for your time and ears.

Hmmm, right up my alley... used to restore them from eprey... the switching is gold contacts - NO ABRASIVES, and believe it or not - no deoxit.... gold doesn't corrode like that, use anhydrous isopoperol alcohol to clean them. MAYBE a slip of printer paper soaked with anh. IPA drawn through the contacts for some VERY mild abrasive effect.

IF you run into display channel switching and placement issues, it is usually NOT the switching integrated circuit, but rather switch contacts directly connected to the ic's outputs, some essential biases travel through the contacts and a dirty contact doesn't allow the bias through.

I actually stick with the 465b's in retrospect nowadays - very few rare integrated circuits, so I can keep mine going for a long long long time....

Got in touch with a local business doing anodizing (Southwest Metal Finishing). They don't do nor know of anyone locally that does Type I anodizing with dye. They can do Type II, though, and there will be a small fee tacked on for stripping prior to anodizing if these heatsinks are already anodized. Roughly, $100. Probably a little less.

They did want to know what type of aluminum the SPEC-2 heatsinks are made out of. This seemed important to them as it determines what process they would use. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Output Transistor related question

I'm back on this long-term project again for a while.

I have finally gotten around to disassembling the the Driver board/heatsink assemblies for this SPEC-2 in preparation for having the heatsinks anodized. I almost wish I hadn't. The mess gets worse but is cleanable. There is some spot rust on the barrier plate between the Driver board and heatsink. I'm not sure the best way to clean this yet.

While taking the output transistors off of the heatsink, I found not one, but two mica insulating wafers sandwiched between each of the 6 transistors on the heatsink. Is this typical and should I use 2 new ones for each transistor when re-assembling the heatsink assembly?

Also, the one heatsink assembly that had the hack job diode arrays in place of the STV-3H and STV-4H diode packs only used 3 diodes for each one. :no:
The mounting screws used to secure these arrays were also mis-matched. 1 threaded screw for one array and what looks like a small sheet metal screw for the other one.

I would really like to know who worked on this amplifier.

Anyway, I'll post a few pictures of the mess later for everyone's enjoyment. It's a perfect example of what repairs not to do to a SPEC-2. If this wasn't my amplifier and I wasn't so near to tears, I'd find some humor in all of this.

Later.

Mica insulators...the thinner, the better. Certainly do NOT need two of them.

You can reuse the old ones (they clean up nicely with an old, clean rag and WD-40, but treat them gently as they are quite fragile), or buy new ones.

Time to drag this thread out of the closet for awhile

Well, it seems like my restoration project is going to be very long term. I just got thru a very hard C++ programming class and had time to get the SPEC 2 heatsinks re-anodized. I think they came out very well. I got the driver boards cleaned up and ready for recapping and transistor change-outs. Now, between having to re-do a sprinkler system in the backyard (AZ heat and caliche is killing me) and another fairly long, work-related road trip, the driver board work is going to have to be post-poned again.

Anyway, I have posted some before/after pictures of the heatsinks. SPEC 2 re-work does continue but slowly.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6607a.jpg
    IMG_6607a.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6608a.jpg
    IMG_6608a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6757a.jpg
    IMG_6757a.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6760a.jpg
    IMG_6760a.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 82
SPEC 2 Problem

Dear Echowar and other, I have bought a US Spec 2 Version Amplifier. As a European citizen I need to replace the powercoil transformer to a 220 Volt type. The secondary windings are the same as for the US version. For the primary side there are 5 wires, White and Brown for the United States and Yellow, Orange and Red presumably for Europe. Does anybody know what wires to use for 220 Volt. Does the Surge Current Relay also need to be replaced or can it handle 220 Volt in stead of the 120V. Do the connected capacitors and resisitors for the primary surge circuit need to be changed?

The Spec 2 Amplifier was left switched on by the previous owner without music and apparently it burned out after some hours. Does anybody have any hints what might be the cause and where to start looking? Does it seem wise to start debugging without the 6 Power Transistorsemulate the powertransitors with diodes between base and emitter (I have set of matched power transisters but would first like to be sure before hooking them up to the curcuit boards).

Last edited:
Petrus, Welcome to AK.

There are many helpful individuals on this site. So that they have a better idea of who they are helping, take the time to introduce youself and start your own thread so that you're not "hijacking" someone elses. In the long run, your new thread will likely help others.

Yes, and please leave your email address out of actual posts - spambots crawl all over the web, harvesting email addresses to bomb with spam. The email address can be entered in the user cp and still kept private while being utilized. Plus there are P(rivate)M(essages).

In fact you can edit your post and remove the email address, and I for one suggest you do so.

Update:

Well, I’m back at it again. This restoration is turning into one, longgggg project.

I wasn’t sure which thread I have started related to this project in which to continue with updates and questions as there are a few, so I chose the original one, “Pioneer SPEC 2 restoration help”. There has been so much information and so many helpful suggestions and discussions spread across these threads from AK members that I felt the need to reference them as I have done below:

Pioneer SPEC 2 restoration help
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-spec-2-restoration-help.148523/

SPEC 2 Filter Cap Purchase Source
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/spec-2-filter-cap-purchase-source.751371/

SPEC 2 Restoration - How do I dis-assemble?
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?posts/11206716/

Protective component sleeving for Pioneer restorations
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/protective-component-sleeving-for-pioneer-restorations.797675/

SPEC 2 Zener Diode Info
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/spec-2-zener-diode-info.792342/

SPEC 2 Reed Relay Question
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/spec-2-reed-relay-question.225863/

These threads provide some background history on this particular SPEC 2 restoration as well as covering questions related to parts information/substitutions, component part number deciphering, chassis dis-assembly and painting, wiring, maintaining the “Pioneer” look and much more. I hope the information found in the threads listed above is as helpful to other AK members as it has been for me.

That said…I am spending part of my week-end changing out caps and small transistors on the AWH-045 Power Amplifier Board assemblies. Both boards got the required IPA brush down that successfully removed some of the grime that had accumulated on the boards and components over years of abuse and improper storage. I have followed EchoWars suggestion to swap polarity on the C4 cap so that the positive lead is connected to ground. My service manual shows the correct orientation for this cap but the board silkscreen and the physically installed cap were incorrect.

Components slated for replacement:

Component Replace.jpg

Right Hand Board (before re-work):

DSCN4493a.jpg

Left Hand Board (before re-work):

DSCN4482a.jpg

C4 Cap original installation (notice both C4 and C6 caps are a little "bulgy"):

DSCN4501a.jpg

The board jumpers (there are 11 of them) are also getting replaced with like AWG, white insulated wire jumpers as most of them are showing signs of corrosion and tarnish.

Jumper Replacement.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the C1 cap needs to be replaced as part of the recap process (see picture)?

This one.jpg

I hope to have all of the new caps, small transistors and jumpers for both boards changed out by Sunday. The heat sink mounted transistors, diodes, pots(3) and relays (yes, both of them) will be swapped out next.

The top, bottom and both side panels are soon off to the local powder coat paint guy for a much needed re-do.

Top Panel (before paint):

Top Panel (medium).jpg

Bottom Panel (before paint):

Bottom Panel (medium).jpg

Side Panels (before paint):

Side Panels (medium).jpg

That's all for now. Until next time....

A question for you AK restoration guys...

Is there any reason why the US Relays substitute relay for RL1 on the Power Amp board can't be soldered in via the two outer contacts (they would need to be dog legged a bit) and the two inner contacts have pigtail leads attached and soldered directly to the board via the board thru-holes? Thanks.

Update:

I just got the SPEC panels back from a local powder coat shop. I am impressed. Here are some before and after pictures:

Before:

Top Panel (medium).jpg

tBottom Panel (medium).jpg

side panels inside (medium).jpg

side panels outside (medium).jpg

After:

side panels a (medium).jpg

side panels b (medium).jpg

side panel c (medium).jpg

panel a part num (medium).jpg

panel b part num (medium).jpg

top panel top (medium).jpg

Looks like I hit my picture limit. Bottom panel pictures will follow in my next post.

And the bottom panels:

bottom panel bottom (medium).jpg

bottom panel top (medium).jpg

Apparently, this guy was dropped at some point. Notice the foot indent in the pictures. I did attempt to flatten it a little but it really stands out after paint. Hopefully, it won't be too noticeable after the feet are re-installed.

That's all until next time.

A question for you AK restoration guys...

Is there any reason why the US Relays substitute relay for RL1 on the Power Amp board can't be soldered in via the two outer contacts (they would need to be dog legged a bit) and the two inner contacts have pigtail leads attached and soldered directly to the board via the board thru-holes? Thanks.

Looks like the US Relays part is going to be dropped by Digikey...I have no idea why. When I ordered mine, there was no minimum. They do still have the Z532-ND relay available, which is essentially identical to the other part number I gave and will work fine. Digikey shows 900+ of these in stock, but it looks like they too are being dropped once stock is gone. Once that happens, the Hamlin HE3300 24V SPST relay can be used. Part #HE129-ND.

4601K-ND is a transistor mounting socket, so I dunno what you were looking at.

part number: HE129-ND
wouldn't that mean drilling holes?

I'm drooling looking at those pictures.

part number: HE129-ND
wouldn't that mean drilling holes?

Hi, Mark.

Back in 2008, when the US Relays Z535 was being phased out, I managed to buy a handful of the Z532 relays (branded EAC SD1A24A) from Digikey. I can tweak the relay legs and get them to fit in the existing thru-holes. See photos. No hole drilling required. I can eek out a little more leg length for a better thru-hole solder connection by adjusting the center pigtails a little closer to the relay body. I'm using 24AWG wire-wrap wire for the pigtails. I have found the jacket on wire-wrap wire to be a lot more tolerant to heat than other wire types. I was curious if anyone has tried to mount the relay in this fashion.

RL1 a (medium).jpg

RL1 b (medium).jpg

RL1 c (medium).jpg

RL1 d (medium).jpg

Update:

RL1 and RL2 are now installed on both Amp boards.

RL1 Final aa (medium).jpg

RL1 Final a (medium).jpg

RL1 Final b (medium).jpg

RL1 Final c (medium).jpg

There was just enough lead length poking thru the pads to make a nice solder connection.

RL1 Final d (medium).jpg

Both boards with relays installed.

Relays installed.jpg

I'll post pictures of the RL2 install next.

RL2 installation. The legs of the Elec-trol relay had to be tweaked similar to RL1.

RL2 b (medium).jpg

It was a nice clean fit.

RL2 c (medium).jpg

RL2 e (medium).jpg

There's just enough lead poking thru to make a good solder connection.

RL2 f (medium).jpg

RL2 g (medium).jpg

Up next is the completion of the transistor install (after I order the mica insulators for the two transistors on the large center heat sink. Some how I over-looked those guys when I ordered parts) and the diode swap out.

That's all for now.

Back
Top Bottom