Mcintosh MC 60's. Are these the ones to have???

Brycecb750

Hello every
I have a pair of Klipshorns and some Tannoy mastering lab 10's. I've always run the Klipshorns with Scott amps, the last few years a 299c and a 222c before that. I have a opportunity to buy a pair of MC60's, I've always wanted some tube mcintosh's for the Khorns. Is the MC60 a good one or is there one that's considered better? There is a pair of MC30's as well. These are a little rough but I work as a tech in a recording studio, so having them restored isn't a problem or much cost. Here's the interesting thing, they are old amps from the Grateful Dead wall of sound, they have a few hook up modifications but are really pretty stock inside. I'm pretty into the idea of having my Klipshors powered by a pair of MC60's that powered part of the wall of sound. I can get the pair of 60's for $2500
Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Ive had MC30, MC60, MC225, MC240, MC275 The only ones I have in my keep pile is MC225 and MC60's. I think MC60 offer alot of value as MC225 sells for approx. 2500.00 and MC60's sell for around 3,000-3,500. An original MC275 bring 5,000+. Some prefer the sound of MC225 over 60's. Your Khorns certainly dont need the extra power!

Last edited:
The 60’s are awesome amps but I think the 30’s would be the ones I’d rather have for Klipschorns. IMO the 6L6 that the 30’s use is a sweeter sounding midrange tube than the 6550’s in the 60’s. The 60’s will provide more power, but the Klipsch’s are so efficient that the 30’s will be more than enough. Bonus that they have Wall of Sound provenance - although the Dead probably worked them hard, so it’s a good thing you’re a tech. :)

I’ve never owned 30’s, but have A/B’s fully restored 60’s against a restored MC225 and preferred the 225 on efficient speakers.

I wish I could offer opinion but so many variables with personal preference. I've heard MC30's with Cornwall's and was mighty impressed. I would offer up that if you have or can get documentation on "the wall of sound", I would recommend it from a value perspective. I hope you don't mind but thought an image would be appropriate. Good luck and please post some pics when you decide.

TS

Grateful Dead wall of sound.jpg

I'm so tempted... I do have a mint C33 and MC2205 in perfect wood that I could sell to help. Here's one of the cabinets that came with the pile

Attachments

• IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2867.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 44
The 60’s are awesome amps but I think the 30’s would be the ones I’d rather have for Klipschorns. IMO the 6L6 that the 30’s use is a sweeter sounding midrange tube than the 6550’s in the 60’s. The 60’s will provide more power, but the Klipsch’s are so efficient that the 30’s will be more than enough. Bonus that they have Wall of Sound provenance - although the Dead probably worked them hard, so it’s a good thing you’re a tech. :)

I’ve never owned 30’s, but have A/B’s fully restored 60’s against a restored MC225 and preferred the 225 on efficient speakers.
I'm thinking the same thing. Price is the same

The K horns can be driven with anything mac makes. I seen your other thread and really I can't see anyone being able to give you a definitive direction to go. That's kinda what your looking for but really it's apples and apples. As far as a component that was used professionally by the Grateful Dead I think if in fact true and there is some documentation to that is where I would put my money.

Last edited:
The cabinet it's sitting on looks like a Alembic Speaker Cabinet and drivers. Alembic was a local SF company building speakers and modding the mac amps for the likes of Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead. They built the wall of sound and the bands stacks and amp setups.

Yours
IMG_2867.JPG

wallofsoundJG1.JPG 197937.jpg alembic-speaker-cabinet-12-jbl_1_a77973a9bdb20d8c3556054bc3f5f744.jpg 166848.jpg

I'm so tempted... I do have a mint C33 and MC2205 in perfect wood that I could sell to help. Here's one of the cabinets that came with the pile
That pairing right there will make your khorns sing sweetly. You should also try the monitor amp in the C33 if you haven't already on your k's for a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom