Is there a song that makes you emotional?

"Vincent".
Suicide touched my life young, and I've since crossed paths with it too often.
This lyric is a crusher:
And when no hope was left in sight on that starry, starry night,
You took your life as lovers often do;
But I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Another one is the song Toyland. I liken it to learning the reality of Santa Claus. Once I figured it out as a too-curious child, there was no turning back, and the magic of that morning would never be the same:

Toyland, toyland, little girl and boy land
While you dwell within it, you are ever happy there

Childhood's joy land, mystic merry toyland;
Once you pass its borders, you can ne'er return again

There are quite a few. One that comes immediately to mind? Ozzy Osbourne- "Goodbye to Romance" It was a favorite of a dead friend. Bob

The Pretenders : "Hymn to Her".
Pink Floyd : "Momentary Lapse of Reason".
Jeff Beck : "Where Were You". (an emotional moving Instrumental for me)

At any given time, these songs, when they play on my background digital music, can easily wet my eyes !!

Beatles- In My Life

As I enter into my golden years, I've been doing a lot of thinking about all the people I've met over the years, some now dead, some I lost touch with. Through all of these times, my wife of 43 years was there for me. I am always amazed that we were able to find a way to get through all the roadblocks and bumps in life.

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all.

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more.

Last edited:
Hey
The national anthem (when done well)
Marty Robbins - Utah Carol
There are others but these 2 jump to mind.
Eric

Ah hell, I'll key ya'll in on the true tearjerkers for me.

Ray Charles singing "A Song For You". There's one version he recorded, well....it's perfect, but when he sang to Willie Nelson on Willie's 70th birthday, man.....accept no substitute.

He was not far from the end, and his voice was a little weaker, but I'm pretty sure under all that hair, Leon Russell was fighting tears. Willie's lip quivers just a bit.

Here's the Youtube of this moment. Due to copyright issues, the audio is muted. DAMMIT. Sorry.

That song makes me emotional due to the sadness. Something that makes me cry for its sheer brilliance is Derek Trucks' solo on "Midnight In Harlem", seen here.

I'm a guitar player, some confuse me with "good" but this....oh man.

Beatles- In My Life

As I enter into my golden years, I've been doing a lot of thinking about all the people I've met over the years, some now dead, some I lost touch with. Through all of these times, my wife of 43 years was there for me. I am always amazed that we were able to find a way to get through all the roadblocks and bumps in life.
What blows me away about this song (and others with eerily prescient lyrics -- Pink Floyd's "Time" leaps to mind) is that it was written by young men in their early twenties. No way you would have got that kind of insight from me when I was that age. I guess the musical talent of that generation must have been populated by a disproportionate number of "old souls".

What blows me away about this song (and others with eerily prescient lyrics -- Pink Floyd's "Time" leaps to mind) is that it was written by young men in their early twenties. No way you would have got that kind of insight from me when I was that age. I guess the musical talent of that generation must have been populated by a disproportionate number of "old souls".

Organics might have had something to do with it. :beatnik: :D

Organics might have had something to do with it. :beatnik: :D
I dunno. I spent a lot of time in altered states of consciousness in my early twenties and the most creative thing I managed to do was convert a large white Oldsmobile sedan into a non-functional four-wheel-drive.

This rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Also, the second movement of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto

Back
Top Bottom