Dual 1229 Rumble / Noise

cnelvis

I feel like there is too much rumble for this turntable. Any thoughts.

My set up is:
-Marantz 2235B
-Schiit Mani Phono (Tape 2) Load 47k/47k -Gain 1: L/L - Gain 2: H/H
-Dual 1229 with Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge.
-Dynaco A25 speakers

The Dual was a refub from Bill at fixmydual. The idler wheel seems soft and pliable.

Here's a video example with the groove sound from the Command Test Record

Last edited:
I feel like there is too much rumble for this turntable. Any thoughts.

The Dual was a refub from Bill at fixmydual. The idler wheel seems soft and pliable.

Here's a video example with the groove sound from the Command Test Record

Do what you can to reduce the level of rumble.

If you are still unhappy with the rumble level, find another type of drive that have acceptable level of rumble.

That record sound rather dusty, have you washed it recently? :idea:

I had the exact same issue with my dual (1219)...the rumble didn’t really ruin the music but it was distinct during quiet parts or between songs. I sanded/smoothed the edge of the idler wheel and it was better, but still there. So I lived with it until one day, my cartridge died. Folks might not believe this, but upon installing a new cart, the rumble was gone!

I don't know why yours is rumbly. The few 1219-type turntables I have fixed are silent.

Last edited:
If the turntable is in the location shown above then I’d expect it to sound like an earthquake all the time. Turntables need to be as isolated from the speakers as possible. If it absolutely has to be that close to the speaker then engage the low filter on the receiver.

I have a 1219...same noise when my speakers are that close..... actually a bit farther than that. Kg 4s I hear it a lot...JBL l88 is waay less. I put wood sides next to table and that helps. I broke my 1219 and my lab 500 doesn't really do it much.

Back
Top Bottom