AT440MLa/b (or its Replacement) Conundrum...

The Audio Technica AT 440 MLb cartridge is about $200.00 US.

The HE stylus for the Audio Technica AT 95E cartridge is about $53.00 US.

For sure the AT 440 MLx cartridge is consider a better engine than the AT 95xx cartridge.

The Micro line stylus is finer than the HE stylus.

Different price range for different users. :biggrin:

For most of the reasons you outline above -- notably the "better engine" and "the micro line stylus is finer than the HE stylus," I am saving my pennies for the 440, in whatever current incarnation it's in by the time I get around to buying it. :beerchug:

For most of the reasons you outline above -- notably the "better engine" and "the micro line stylus is finer than the HE stylus," I am saving my pennies for the 440, in whatever current incarnation it's in by the time I get around to buying it. :beerchug:

Should still be the Audio Technica VM 540 ML for the next couple of years. :thumbsup:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/e7a3d4bc8b248b64/index.html
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...e=UTF8&qid=1518996579&sr=8-1&keywords=vm540ml

@AnzacSonata Dont forget to tune input loading on right values for AT440MLb. This cartridge is very sensitive on input loading. AT440MLb have flat frequency resposnse if you put max. 100pF with 47.5kOhm on input.

@AnzacSonata Dont forget to tune input loading on right values for AT440MLb. This cartridge is very sensitive on input loading. AT440MLb have flat frequency resposnse if you put max. 100pF with 47.5kOhm on input.

Thanks file; I don't have any such adjustments to tune input loading on my setup, so I will have to see how the new cart combo sounds with my gear.

Audio Technica released the new VM series in December 09, 2016.

The stylus from the new series is backwards compatible with the old series.

That is the "replacement" for the old AT 440 MLb.

That is why the AT 440 MLb is at a very good price level until the present stock is gone. :bigok:

Thanks; depending on the money situation, I may try to hunt down a 440 then...

Are they comparable in terms of performance? Will the 440, if I find one in B variation, yield exceptional performance (given proper setup, of course) as compared to the new VM?

Thanks; depending on the money situation, I may try to hunt down a 440 then...

Are they comparable in terms of performance? Will the 440, if I find one in B variation, yield exceptional performance (given proper setup, of course) as compared to the new VM?

On paper the new is always better. :)

I have an AT440Mla and a couple of AT95Es. I upgraded one with a Vivid Line stylus and now after plenty of time listening to it, I think it is right up there with the 440, maybe even better in terms of overall balance. You really should consider a stylus upgrade I think. Any of the improved stylus shapes, properly set up, should cure IGD any problems.

I have an AT440Mla and a couple of AT95Es. I upgraded one with a Vivid Line stylus and now after plenty of time listening to it, I think it is right up there with the 440, maybe even better in terms of overall balance. You really should consider a stylus upgrade I think. Any of the improved stylus shapes, properly set up, should cure IGD any problems.

You are right. Mine AT95E work without any sign of IGD with my custom protractor. Only problem is that AT440MLa/b is another level. AT95E have great sound for that price but AT440ML is much better performer at all audible range.

You are right. Mine AT95E work without any sign of IGD with my custom protractor. Only problem is that AT440MLa/b is another level. AT95E have great sound for that price but AT440ML is much better performer at all audible range.

I recommended a Vivid Line stylus, which is an upgrade to a different and better stylus shape. You are comparing the AT95E not the AT95 with Vivid Line stylus.

Thanks, jusmee; I shall consider a stylus upgrade then...sure would save money and hassle (in terms of just needing to pop a new stylus in and keep the tracking force)...

Although, wait -- does the hyper elliptical 95 require a different tracking force than the standard 95e?

I recommended a Vivid Line stylus, which is an upgrade to a different and better stylus shape. You are comparing the AT95E not the AT95 with Vivid Line stylus.

Yes, compared AT95E with AT440ML. VL is much better then E. But MicroLine is also better then VividLine and also all internal generator on AT440 is better then on AT95. Upgrade, yes upgrade and I agree with you with that statement. LP Gear have VL stylus for $133.98 and this is simple upgrade, very good upgrade. AT440MLb cost $199 on Amazon but for step up on all AT95 upgrades.

Hmmmmm...so the quality may be better going with the 440....

Vivid Line is different from Hyper Elliptical, which is the usual upgrade path for the 95, correct?

Back
Top Bottom