Stylus Compatibility: Technics SL-QD22

Ryan Scruggs

Hi, all!

I am relatively new to the hi-fi community, and I am looking for suggestions before purchasing a new stylus for my Technics SL-QD22.

This turntable was my dad's when he was around my age, and had it fitted with a Shure m99e cartridge and stylus when he bought it. It has since been worn down, and I am now in the market for something new! Perusing the stylus marketplace proved a daunting task, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys!

I do know the differences between moving magnet and moving coil styli, but my concern lies within replacing the stylus, while retaining the original tone arm.

Thanks!

Hi, all!

I am relatively new to the hi-fi community, and I am looking for suggestions before purchasing a new stylus for my Technics SL-QD22.

This turntable was my dad's when he was around my age, and had it fitted with a Shure m99e cartridge and stylus when he bought it. It has since been worn down, and I am now in the market for something new! Perusing the stylus marketplace proved a daunting task, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys!

I do know the differences between moving magnet and moving coil styli, but my concern lies within replacing the stylus, while retaining the original tone arm.

Thanks!

Here are two candidates;

Good elliptical
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSM0099E.html

Better elliptical
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN099EOR.html :music:

Thanks for those! In the event that I want to replace the cartridge as well, will I run into any problems with turntable compatibility? Obviously, I wouldn't purchase anything meant for DJs or for mono playback, but I don't want to purchase something that will just simply not work with my turntable. Thanks again for the replacement styli links. I'll probably replace the Shure's stylus just because why not?

Thanks for those! In the event that I want to replace the cartridge as well, will I run into any problems with turntable compatibility? Obviously, I wouldn't purchase anything meant for DJs or for mono playback, but I don't want to purchase something that will just simply not work with my turntable. Thanks again for the replacement styli links. I'll probably replace the Shure's stylus just because why not?

The Technics SL-QD 22 turn table uses a unique type of cartridge generally known as "T4P Pmount" cartridge.

They are not many available in today's production market. :music:

Stick to Shure, Audio Technica, Grado, Ortofon and some other major brands.

RS: I'd suggest to consider either the ATU4040EP or the SS445E/U from Ebay vendor "wolfsbigbadgarage" for ca. US$ 35 respectively 36 each. The former basically is a renamed AT316EP, the latter a renamed AT122EP - and both sport pretty decent needles with a nude diamond with medium-sharp elliptical tip, so both models are very attractive offers at that price level. Actually so attractive, that I'd suggest you to grab two...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

An inexpensive suggestion for the Shure M99E:
1a.jpg
Search eBay for "Shure M-97LT N-97LT". This is a very good elliptical, a copy of the stylus for another Shure p-mount (aka "T4P") cartridge, the M96LT. It's from a known-good seller in the Netherlands, and it's a lot of stylus for $25 shipped. I have two of these myself, and yes, it will fit and work properly in the M99E body. Usually takes ten calendar days to arrive in the US midwest.

I also have a QD22.

I second lini's suggestions if you want to try the Audio-Technica sound. The SS445E/U in particular opens the door to many excellent Audio-Technica styli, though they're not always found at low-low prices.

Last edited:
The Technics SL-QD 22 turn table uses a unique type of cartridge generally known as "T4P Pmount" cartridge.

They are not many available in today's production market. :music:

Stick to Shure, Audio Technica, Grado, Ortofon and some other major brands.
After taking bits and pieces of advice from everyone who so graciously replied to this thread, I have kind of narrowed my preference to the Ortofon 320 cartridge (https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORSER320.html). I'm assuming the higher price point of the cartridge/stylus is a result of its better quality, and I'm willing to pay a little more if that means longevity and better sound.

That being said, how particular should I be when considering stylus shape? The Ortofon cartridge claims that it contains a "fine line" stylus. I've read some mixed reviews on this stylus type. I guess my real question is: should I necessarily gravitate towards a particular stylus type in the event that I don't replace the stylus on the Shure M99E? And if so, what type would be a sensible upgrade from the current elliptical stylus used on the M99E?

I really like the look of the Ortofon cartridge, but I follow some reputable audiophiles who use this brand, which most likely contributes to my biases towards it.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

What amplifier (receiver) and speakers are you using?
I am using a Pioneer SA 7700 integrated amplifier and a pair of Technics SB-CR33 speakers. Although this equipment may not be ideal for higher quality styli, I do intend to upgrade my hi-fi as time goes, especially in the speaker realm. With that being said, I would like to purchase a cartridge and stylus that will provide me with the best sound possible as I upgrade the other components of the hi-fi!

After taking bits and pieces of advice from everyone who so graciously replied to this thread, I have kind of narrowed my preference to the Ortofon 320 cartridge (https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORSER320.html). I'm assuming the higher price point of the cartridge/stylus is a result of its better quality, and I'm willing to pay a little more if that means longevity and better sound.

That being said, how particular should I be when considering stylus shape? The Ortofon cartridge claims that it contains a "fine line" stylus. I've read some mixed reviews on this stylus type. I guess my real question is: should I necessarily gravitate towards a particular stylus type in the event that I don't replace the stylus on the Shure M99E? And if so, what type would be a sensible upgrade from the current elliptical stylus used on the M99E?

I really like the look of the Ortofon cartridge, but I follow some reputable audiophiles who use this brand, which most likely contributes to my biases towards it.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

You may want to try out the Shure upgrade stylus for a while before committing a large sum towards the Ortofon " fine line" cartridge and stylus.

The Ortofon should be quite a steps or leap forward, but may not give you that Rock & Roll sound that the Shure ( may) have......:idea:

Bad idea altert: Do not buy that - or at least not for that price! I mean, nothing against the 320 as such, but LPgear's price of almost 250 bucks is way, way too high for that cartridge. Or in other words: The 320 would be a good idea, if you'd find a used 305/310/320 body for little money and then run it with a new needle 320 (which Ortofon indeed still officially offers new - and which still is roundabout 50 Euro incl 19 % VAT over here, so that it should also be roundabout 50 Dollar in the US, in the meantime a surprisingly fair price for a bonded FineLine...), but if you'd basically have to pay roundabout 200 bucks just for the 3xx family body, that wouldn't be an attractive offer anymore, but rather the opposite: a rip-off.

To give you an idea, over here you can buy a regular Ortofon OM(B) body new for less than 10 Euro - and a 3xx body would be of comparable value. So even if one would tolerate quite a bit higher price, considering that the 3xx family never was as ubiquitous and that a new old stock 3xx family body or complete cartridge would nowadays already be a bit of a rare item, one could at best justify roundabout 100 bucks for a new old stock 320.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

You may want to try out the Shure upgrade stylus for a while before committing a large sum towards the Ortofon " fine line" cartridge and stylus.

The Ortofon should be quite a steps or leap forward, but may not give you that Rock & Roll sound that the Shure ( may) have......:idea:
Just to clarify before I spring for the Shure stylus upgrade:

Even though LP Gear lists the Shure stylus as "Shure Improved stylus for Shure N-99E N99E stylus" (https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN099EOR.html), it will work with my M99E cartridge, right? Sorry to bother with all of this back and forth, I'm just wanting to make sure what I purchase will be compatible with my cartridge!

Even though LP Gear lists the Shure stylus as "Shure Improved stylus for Shure N-99E N99E stylus" (https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN099EOR.html), it will work with my M99E cartridge, right? Sorry to bother with all of this back and forth, I'm just wanting to make sure what I purchase will be compatible with my cartridge!

Yes, that stylus is in the same family as the N99E and it is an excellent choice. The description states it's an original Shure stylus...:thumbsup:

LPgear 's listing have always been quite accurate in my experience.

Mistakes do happen to every business transaction.

If you have doubts with their listing, go to another on line source that you trust. :dunno:

I'd nevertheless rather suggest to consider the aforementioned ATs, because iirc the N104E is hardly better than the N99E. And 65 bucks already are almost as much as an ATU4040EP and an SS445E/U would cost together - so why pay just a bit less for way bit less?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

The N104E is actually a very good sounding and tracking stylus. Although made in Mexico, Shure was still making excellent phono cartridges during that era.

Back
Top Bottom