Tube Phono Preamp Reccomendations

Looking at the PH3 specs under frequency response it says it has ±.15dB of RIAA. From what I've read about frequency response that variation seems high?
Of all the preamps I've ever owned, I'd say this is the most accurate phono stage I've ever heard. It just sounds right.
When I build or repair, I hand measure and match my components. I'm certain AR would do the same and not rely on tolerance values.
If I calculated a resistance value for an equalization stage that was not commercially available, I'd parallel two resistors together to get that custom value. I saw so many resistors in parallel on the board, I have a feeling AR did just that.
The internal build quality was something to see.
Next time I have it open I'll take some pictures

Subscribe to Bartertown. There was a CJ PV5 that might fit your bill. No affiliation to seller.
I second this. $850 as of this writing. Well built, with a simple circuit design.

Here's an all tube design by Decware:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZP3.htm
ZP3blackbig525.jpg

A bit higher than your budget but looks (and probably sounds) awesome.

Interesting design notes from Steve Deckert:

http://www.decware.com/paper85.htm

Last edited:
I can second the Pro-Ject DS2 Tube Box. I have one and quite enjoy it and the flexibility. I have used it with a Ortofon 2M Red and Blue (MM), Grado Black1 (MI), and Clear Audio Essence (MC). It also has two inputs and two outputs so if you want to have a second turntable, it can handle that just fine (and it saves the settings for each input so switching is easy). I have not done any tube rolling with it yet, but as mentioned, this is a hybrid tube preamp, so the tubes are mostly a buffer stage, from my understanding.

I can second the Pro-Ject DS2 Tube Box. I have one and quite enjoy it and the flexibility. I have used it with a Ortofon 2M Red and Blue (MM), Grado Black1 (MI), and Clear Audio Essence (MC). It also has two inputs and two outputs so if you want to have a second turntable, it can handle that just fine (and it saves the settings for each input so switching is easy). I have not done any tube rolling with it yet, but as mentioned, this is a hybrid tube preamp, so the tubes are mostly a buffer stage, from my understanding.
I think the OP is looking to replace an entire preamp, not add a phono stage.

But having said that, I've also eyeballed the Tube Box DS2. I have a Phonomena II+ I'm not too fond of (it's noisy with low-output MCs), so I want to tread carefully in finding a replacement. The tube rolling is appealing, as I can tweak the sound based on which cartridge I'm using. What I really like is that everything can be configured from the front panel, as opposed to messing around with DIP switches. If I'm not mistakenk, it also has two switchable outputs--I could sum one of those outputs to mono since my preamp does not have a mono switch.

If you can find a VAC CPA1 MKII, I would jump on it. I have the CLA, which is without Phono, and with the right tubes, it is a stellar old Dual Mono Pre. You will have to get up off your butt to adjust the 2 volume knobs, one for each channel.

There are some Audionote Kondo KSL-M77 preamp kits on eBay. From talking to those who've built them, they're meant to be a wonderful sounding preamp.

Another happy owner of the Audio Research PH-3. Took my vinyl to another level entirely.

Finally opened up my PH3 to upgrade the tubes and take some pictures.
V1 and V2: Amperex PQ 6922 White Label
V3: Amperex USN CEP 6922 White Label.

I'm a big tube roller and this combination is my favorite.
I'm listening to Joe Jackson's "Night and Day" and these tubes really opened up the soundstage. The reproduction is so full and airy.
Some of the 6DJ8 type tubes I've tried:20180320_192231.jpg

I'm also attaching a few internal shots of my PH3 to show the build quality.
It's a really nice phono stage and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Of course, synergy is critical so in another system YMMV.

20180320_193033.jpg 20180320_193106.jpg

Attachments

• 20180320_192231.jpg
    20180320_192231.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom