Crosley spinnerette

Jason!978

I have a crosley spinnerette turntable arriving in the mail tomorrow. I have read that these have a counterweight you can adjust to change the tracking force if so needed and from what I've read it most likely will need to be adjusted down. Anyone know how to do this? I can't find any instructions even in the manual I looked at online from crosley. I have a gauge to tell exact tracking force but I think these at 3600 cartridges should be at 3.5 grams. Thanks for any help with this I just was someone could help me with this as I'll be unboxing it tomorrow and I wanted to set everything right before I use it.

You need to figure out if the spinnerette CW is adjustable and if so, what secures it in place, if anything. If you manage to slide it back or forward, you may have some control over VTF. Don't be surprised though, if it's a fixed and non-adjustable CW. I've had a look at the manual and I don't think this simple mechanism provisions for CW adjustment at all.

Thanks for the help tnsilver I will check that out today. I just never had a turntable like this but I got this one free from a friend. I lost my good turntable and I know this one is not considered a really good one but if it plays without eating my records I'll be happy with it.

OP as you noted about the Crosley playing without eating your records is the chance you will be taking. Nice gesture by your friend but I'd be looking for another good turntable and donate the Crosley to a charity. I'v seen/heard what this class of table will do to records and it isn't nice.

Don't have to worry about the crosley eating my records it only lasted 3 days before it bit the dust and quit working. I'm seriously considering buying an older model turntable that has been refurbished.

Yeah, stay away from Crosley.
Do you want us to help you pick out a player? Tell us how much money you want to spend. Also, do you have a receiver/amp and speakers? Are you mechanically inclined and like to tweak things, or are you a plug and play guy?

Hi thanks yes I am far from an expert on tables I could use help. I really don't have a firm budget. If a turntable is really good I would not mind having to save a little extra money for a couple months to get it. I am staying away from cheap turntables I want quality. All I have is powered speakers. I guess I would like to keep the budget under $400 to $500 hopefully. I plan to upgrade my speakers sometime soon as well.

The Spinnerette has the same design as the Collegiate and several other Crosley models, with an Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic cartridge and an adjustable counterweight. It's not marked, but if you turn the counterweight counter-clockwise (when viewed from the rear of the tonearm), that will reduce the tracking force. And no, it won't ruin your records.

CR6010A-Counter-Weight.png

I adjusted the tracking force and it still was above the highest point thAt my digital scale would read which I think is 6 grams i wasn't worried about it eating my records really but the cheap stuff I have bought is always something wrong with it it seems.

Hi thanks yes I am far from an expert on tables I could use help. I really don't have a firm budget. If a turntable is really good I would not mind having to save a little extra money for a couple months to get it. I am staying away from cheap turntables I want quality. All I have is powered speakers. I guess I would like to keep the budget under $400 to $500 hopefully. I plan to upgrade my speakers sometime soon as well.
My personal recommendation would be Audio Technica AT-LP120! Bought one, myself & it's truly a work of art! Don't get me wrong, it has a whole bunch of quirks & issues of its own, and it's most definitely not a Technics (something audiophiles always point out), but for its price it was never meant to be Technics in the first place. It's heavy, it's massive & has a direct-drive quartz motor ;)

Alternatively, if you want to go with something cheaper I would suggest Audio Technica AT-LP3. Essentially the same thing as Denon DP-300F mentioned by @Jeff449 except it's more reliable because Denon units had some serious quality control issues with the motors. So in other words, it's a gamble - you might end up with perfectly fine unit OR you could end up with defective one & then be forced into a battle with Denon's tech support.

Or you could spend under $100 on Craigslist for a vintage Japanese table that would shame any of these mentioned tables that are all mfg by the same company that made the Crosley.

That's what I worry about the audio technica technical nd others are all made in China and Chinese electronics quality is in my.experience not very good. I saw some German turntable company a while back but I have forgotten their name now. I just am fed up with buying Chinese junk. It's starting to make me want to give up on vinyl because of all the trouble I'm having with finding a non defective player and I'm buying these new not used so there is no reason for it. Are the Thorens automatic new turntables good?

AFAIK, all the new models of Dual, Thorens, Denon & other popular brands are nowdays made in China. In fact, everything's made in China lol. So, unless you're willing to go old-school like @majick47 suggested or pay a LOT of money on a high quality turntable you're stuck with China products. But keep in mind that if you DO buy old-school table, you will need a dedicated preamp, in order to hook it up to a computer or powered speakers. That is, unless you have a very old amplifier with "phono" input.

There is also the USA made UTurn Orbit. They aren't automatic, but you can get the cueing option for it. :dunno:

I personally am in the vintage table camp. You just can't touch their build quality these days without spending a small fortune. The only thing is you are on your own if they break down. If you are at all technically inclined, I would say a decent semi automatic belt drive from Sansui, Pioneer, Technics from the late 70's-80's would be a good choice. They are super simple mechanisms and easy to work on for the most part. A new belt and stylus, relube the platter bearing, maybe repack the cue damping and you're good for a while.

AFAIK, all the new models of Dual, Thorens, Denon & other popular brands are nowdays made in China. In fact, everything's made in China lol. So, unless you're willing to go old-school like @majick47 suggested or pay a LOT of money on a high quality turntable you're stuck with China products. But keep in mind that if you DO buy old-school table, you will need a dedicated preamp, in order to hook it up to a computer or powered speakers. That is, unless you have a very old amplifier with "phono" input.

New Duals are made in Germany, don't know about Thorens but i would be very surprised if they are Chinese.

IMO the problem isn't made in China, its cheap junk.

New Duals are made in Germany, don't know about Thorens but i would be very surprised if they are Chinese.

IMO the problem isn't made in China, its cheap junk.
Are you sure they're not just being assembled in Germany? Because most of those Dual units are similar (if not identical) to other models from PRC... Otherwise, I absolutely agree. China or not, I love my AT-LP120 & wouldn't change it for anything!

Edit...
577513674_7_644x461_gramofon-dual-dtj-301-usb-zadbany-pudelko-gold-shop-rydultowy-.jpg

Jason unless you live at the North Pole chances are pretty good you could put together a complete functioning quality vintage analog system, turntable/2ch receiver/speakers, for your stated budget of $400-500, from your local Craigslist. AK also has Barter Town where you could put a want ad. Another great AK feature is the local AK fests where members bring their excess equipment to sell. Update your profile with your city/state/province if in Canada. Over the past few months there have been a number of new AK members that were in the same boat as you and they were helped with selecting equipment from Craigslist. Needless to say the purchases were on or under budget and the new AK members had a big wide smile on their faces listening to their vintage tables/receivers/speakers.

@majick47 You keep telling him to spend $400-500 on used system, where he specifically wrote hat he wants a (presumably working) turntable for the same amount of money.

Don't flame me for pointing this out, I get your point. And would normally agree, as the vintage electronics is so much better & reliable than new units. HOWEVER, with that being said keep in mind that even vintage, analog systems needs to be serviced & properly maintained. Heck, I've just had a Thorens TD110 here couple of months ago, for the repairs. The owner (who happens to be my next-door neighbor) asked me if I could take a look at it & sort it out since he wasn't using it over the last 20-30 years. Expecting it to be a quick job, I immediately said yes & ended up having my hands full throughout the entire week! First of all, it needed a whole new stylus. Second, the motor was all seized up, so it had to be lubed. Third, there was some sort of mechanical fault, issue with the flip switch, for the "33" speed. Fourth, there was a mechanical issue with the spring in the tonearm elevating mechanism. After fiddling with it for hours, I removed the entire thing & replaced it for another one, which added a lot more force to it. And last, fifth - it needed a whole new RCA lead! Obviously, it wasn't removable, so the entire unit had to be taken apart & desoldered. You see where I'm going with this, right? And that is ONLY just Thorens TD110 alone, without anything else. He also had a Marantz 2226B receiver, which had to be professionally cleaned. And I'm mainly referring to the contacts, potentiometers & mechanical switches, NOT dusting off the metal cabinet from outside.

So really @Jason!978 - if you're not willing to invest time AND money into your old-school rig I would highly recommend that you go with something modern. If you are, then by all means, follow @majick47's advice. Sometimes oldschool is the best way to go! :)

You can buy used Technics tables all day on Craigslist for a couple of hundred dollars (or less) and they will play just fine. I'd stay away from Thorens, Linn, Dual, and pretty much anything like that until I had a bit more experience. They can be finicky and will likely require some work to be usable. Japanese direct drive tables are the epitome of reliability. JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, and others all made tables that are still perfectly serviceable today and will likely outlast a new one.

If we knew your location there may be more help available...

Back
Top Bottom