2270 Transistor replacement issues

camaronut

Hope to get some clarity here. I know there is plenty of info on this site on replacing the H760 transistor on the 2270 amp boards. So I completed a total recap of the unit and decided to tackle the H760 update. According to a recap list I found on this site I used the listed MJE243GOS-ND transistor. I added wires to each part noting the EBC layout of the part and installed them to the board accordingly. So......I could adjust the DC Offset at each channel at 0mv - no problem. Now when I move the leads between J754 / J756 according to the service bulletin, I can't adjust anything.....its like the outputs were floating all over the place. Adjusting it was impossible. Same on both sides.
So I went back and reinstalled the original transistors and all was well again. I could adjust them both to the suggested 10mvDC. So I kept them in - with hesitation.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and what the corrective action was...
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

He’s wondering if you were testing on a dim bulb tester for protection or if you were plugged into main power. Some people try to adjust on DBT and this can affect the reading. FWIW, I have used the 243G on a 2245 that would not adjust to proper bias and it settled mine down perfectly. But I have seen mixed results in the threads with that part. If your bias diodes are working, count your blessings and keep them.

Don't know if this is a factor, but the metal surface on the mje243 should be collector, and may need insulator or insulated hardware.

Back
Top Bottom