Today's JAZZ playlist

grry%20mllgn%20mts%20stn%20gtz.jpg~original
grry%20mllgn%20mts%20stn%20gtz%202.jpg~original

Gerry Mulligan; Stan Getz / Gerry Mulligan Meets Stan Getz
1957 Verve
1961 Verve (reissue)

It is amazing what you can find if you look. I was lucky last summer and my 2017 "find of the year" was two Mosaic Box sets at an Estate Sale, $3 EACH! Complete Basie Verve/Clef and Benny Goodman Columbia and Okeh Recordings, in mint condition. I'm not big on Church Rummage sales. Several years ago, I went to what was listed as a "garage sale" with records. I left with approx 175 Lps for $90, all catalog, many unopened. The adult children were selling household goods and dad's records, which one bitterly told me was what the dad spent money on, instead of their college education. I didn't feel bad removing the eyesores from their field of vision. BTW: Dad had excellent taste in music, just sayin'.

Very short sighted kids if they think they both could have gone to college on anything less than about 10,000 albums from that era.

Very short sighted kids if they think they both could have gone to college on anything less than about 10,000 albums from that era.

One of the kids must have skimmed off the "A" list records and what may've been the primo stuff. When I say catalog, I mean like Not an artist's biggest hit LP, but the 14 others the artist released. I also got the vibe the dad was no Hugh Beaumont. So as I said, I didn't feel bad for removing the painful items from their purview.

I have to suspect that maybe there was more to the story, and of course dad wasn't available to give his perspective. Maybe they weren't "college material" -- or maybe they could have worked their way through college like many of us did, without having it simply handed to them on a silver platter. Or maybe he was a complete jerk throughout their childhood. In any case, it seems like a pretty bizarre thing for a kid to say to someone browsing at an estate sale.

Back
Top Bottom