Name that connector!

hrtattckcity

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently picked up a pair of speakers from a coworker—they had been sitting I storage for 26 years. Along with the speakers came a pair of cables with plugs that had one round pin and one flat blade per cable—and either a “y” or “h” on the plug and “made in west Germany”.

See picture. Does anyone know what format connector this is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 60DE62FE-1574-4B90-8FFE-F20D2FBAECFB.jpeg
    60DE62FE-1574-4B90-8FFE-F20D2FBAECFB.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 9F492A38-43EC-4E5B-BDC7-B28BEB3B2838.jpeg
    9F492A38-43EC-4E5B-BDC7-B28BEB3B2838.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 156
They were very popular with B&O, Tandberg, Grundig, and other European models. Revox used them on their decks with built in power amplifiers for portable speakers. Ferrograph used them, to. They were quite common in the 70's and 80's. One of the Japanese companies used them for secondary out put, but I can't remember if it was Luxman, Pioneer, etc. I just thought it was strange at the time.

Yep, Bang & Olufsen used DIN connectors for just about everything well into the '90s. Some of their Beomaster receivers did offer RCA connectors for certain inputs (usually Tape 2, sometimes a secondary connection for the Phono input), and some of their Beogram turntables and CD players sold in the US market were equipped with RCA cables, but I think they stuck with DIN longer than just about anyone else. All of my Beomaster receivers use DIN connectors for speaker connections, and even the Beovox speakers often had a DIN connector on the back, including my Beovox M70s as seen below:
beovox1.jpg

Annoyingly, the Beovox M70s (and other Beovox speakers from the same era) use a male 2-pin DIN connector recessed into the back of the cabinet, which means you have to use a speaker cable with a female 2-pin DIN connector on the end. There are adapters available to allow the use of regular speaker cables, but the screw connectors inside are tiny, which makes it difficult to use them with any respectable size of speaker wire. At least the -2 variants of their speakers also offered regular binding posts in addition to the DIN connector, and some of the later Beovox speakers used an integrated cable with a male 2-pin DIN plug on the end rather than having to deal with the goofy recessed connector.
-Adam

It's actually Metrosound, just noticed the misspelling. Supposed to be 30w ch, I haven't got around to messing with it yet. All the inputs are din, the din to RCA female are available on eBay UK as well.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

I used powered Braun LV1020s back in the 70s. Their input jacks were DIN which required me to make some custom interconnects.

Commonly now called pain-in-the-ass connectors.

Right up there with power cords for Sansui Eight and Revox. Oh and Mark Levenson amp connectors.

These were also used on German Cars and stereos like Blaupunkts.
They were surprisingly snug fitting considering that they don’t have a locking mechanism.

Commonly now called pain-in-the-ass connectors.

Right up there with power cords for Sansui Eight and Revox. Oh and Mark Levenson amp connectors.

One more for yah: power cords for Accuphase P-300 separates set. Had to make a set for mine.

These were also used on German Cars and stereos like Blaupunkts.
They were surprisingly snug fitting considering that they don’t have a locking mechanism.

They sure were, I had an 84 300sd with those connections running under the carpet around the shifter.

Back
Top Bottom