Help cleaning JBL

Inmatejason

hello
I have a set of JBL L36 speaker and I can’t seem to get that front black panel clean, in fact I made things worse lol.
There is streaks and some spot more shiny, it’s driving me nuts. What do you guys suggest I use? Is there a trick to cleaning these things.
Please any help would be great.
Thanks

No not the fabric, the flat black paint where the speakers are. There are some ares that look more shiny then others, I want the black to be all one nice shade without and imperfections.

The front panels are called baffles. I would remove the drivers (optional, but preferable), or at least mask them, mask off the foilcals (decals), then rub the baffles down in one direction with 0000 steel wool, then lightly rub them with a microfiber cloth.

My preferred approach is to repaint them with black Dupli-Color Bumper & Trim Paint; it has just a tad more sheen than stock; just enough in my opinion.

DSC_6684.JPG

27459448_10215981471510081_444440697494297397_n.jpg

Last edited:
When I restored my L36 Decades, I repainted the front baffles using Ace Instant Drying Lacquer - Flat Black.from my local Ace Hardware store. It dries fast and even. I applied several thin coats, waiting 20 - 30 minutes between coats.

For masking the edges and the foilcals, I used 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080 with EdgeLock, The EdgeLock stuff really works as I got perfectly clean edges. I was prepared to use mineral spirits to clean up any paint that bled under the tape and there was none - absolutely none.

Before and After:

JBL_L36_Decade_Before_2.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_After_4.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_Before_4.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_After_3.jpg

I used Armor All to to give some L100 baffles an even sheen and help remove fingerprints. Not as nice as a good paint job but it was really easy.

When I restored my L36 Decades, I repainted the front baffles using Ace Instant Drying Lacquer - Flat Black.from my local Ace Hardware store. It dries fast and even. I applied several thin coats, waiting 20 - 30 minutes between coats.

For masking the edges and the foilcals, I used 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080 with EdgeLock, The EdgeLock stuff really works as I got perfectly clean edges. I was prepared to use mineral spirits to clean up any paint that bled under the tape and there was none - absolutely none.

Before and After:

JBL_L36_Decade_Before_2.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_After_4.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_Before_4.jpg

JBL_L36_Decade_After_3.jpg

Those look great! Too bad you live on the other side of the country, or I’d hire you to do the same on my Decade L-26’s. ;)

Back
Top Bottom