RCA switch box

Not familiar with that piece.
It's a switch not splitter.
To A B likely fine .
It won't do A and B together
Not a splitter.
I was thinking something like a Y cable (from the title)

I've not tried that one. I do know the Luxman AS-4III and Beresford TC-7240 line selectors are fantastic and don't introduce noise. Previous, cheaper units I tried before these all caused distortion. Of the two the Beresford is the better unit.

They're both decent enough that I was able to run LOMC carts into it before going into a step up transformer with no loss of signal or added distortion. Pretty impressive.

Another option are those composite or component switch boxes for video use. Often you can get them for next to nothing since HDMI took over.

Greetings! Anyone out there have any experience with this unit? Seems like a great value, but I'm a little worried about degrading the signal...

https://vetco.net/products/2-way-stereo-audio-rca-switch-box/vupn10317

Not familiar with that one, but there are lots of options out there. I built my own:

DIY_Input_Selector_5.jpg

DIY_Input_Selector_4.jpg

DIY_Input_Selector_3.jpg

I also have one of these from Pro-Ject (very well built and compact, but requires mini-RCA cables for three of the four inputs):

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_1.jpg

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_2.jpg

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_3.jpg

Both of those use relays, so they require a small wall wart style power supply. Niles used to make a passive switch that was nice. It's called the AXP-1, is nicely built, supports 5 inputs, and shows up on the used market:

9933326_l.jpg

9933327_l.jpg

Lots of options. Are you sure two inputs are enough. You might want to consider 4 (or more) for future expansion.

Not familiar with that one, but there are lots of options out there. I built my own:

DIY_Input_Selector_5.jpg

DIY_Input_Selector_4.jpg

DIY_Input_Selector_3.jpg

I also have one of these from Pro-Ject (very well built and compact, but requires mini-RCA cables for three of the four inputs):

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_1.jpg

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_2.jpg

Pro_Ject_Switch_Box_3.jpg

Both of those use relays, so they require a small wall wart style power supply. Niles used to make a passive switch that was nice. It's called the AXP-1, is nicely built, supports 5 inputs, and shows up on the used market:

9933326_l.jpg

9933327_l.jpg

Lots of options. Are you sure two inputs are enough. You might want to consider 4 (or more) for future expansion.
that one you built has to be the cleanest nicest looking switch box i have ever seen. mind providing the PCB you used for a link to the PCB? i could differentially use on of those

that one you built has to be the cleanest nicest looking switch box i have ever seen. mind providing the PCB you used for a link to the PCB? i could differentially use on of those

I picked it up off eBay a few years ago. You can find them there, but eBay links are only allowed in Dollars and Sense. Try doing a google search for: audio input selector relays and one of the first links should be to this board for sale through Amazon.

It has on on-board regulator, and will accept either AC (small transformer) or DC (small wall wart) input voltage. I used some shielded Belden cable I picked up at a local surplus shop to connect the RCA jacks to the PCB. You can read more details here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-mini-separates.707431/

A couple more photos that give you a better view of the PCB and wiring:

DIY_Input_Selector_1.jpg

DIY_Input_Selector_2.jpg

Whoa. That home-made deal is awfully, awfully nice. How much ya want for making another one?

Yeah, I know there are lots of options out there, but many cost like $75 or more. I can appreciate a nice piece of audio equipment, but ugh, that seems like a lot of dough for a switch box. Am I being too picky? Do I need to spend that much in order to get a good unit that won’t degrade signal?

And while I’d love to have more inputs for future use, for now two is all I need (I want to run two preamps in my system, with the ability to switch which one is feeding the amp on the fly)

Newark(formerly MCM) has some, do a search on RCA SWITCH BOX

I have a couple of those, very nice and well made for the price, choose from 3way, 4way or 5way

Back
Top Bottom