Kenwood KR7340 questions

Mike Tomek

I have the Kenwood KR7340 quad receiver. What do I need to run quad as far as a turntable? Does it have to be a quad turntable? Just trying to figure out what I need.

Do you have CD-4 records? . To get quad from them will require a standard turntable with low capacitance cables and a suitable cd-4 compatible cartridge. Most cartridges with Shibata or other quadradial type cartridges. SQ and QS use standard turntables and cartridges. A cd4 compatible turntable and cartridge will play standard records also.

Short answer? There are three major different types of quad records. SQ, QS, and CD-4. There may be others but I've never encountered them.

SQ and QS use a regular cartridge and "decode" four channels from the two tracks on the record.

CD-4 requires a special cartridge and stylus that plays up to at least 40khz because it sort of "multiplexes" the two additional channels in the 20khz to 40khz region. Good luck finding any that still have those additional tracks.

Long answer? Here ya go. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

I have the Kenwood KR7340 quad receiver. What do I need to run quad as far as a turntable? Does it have to be a quad turntable? Just trying to figure out what I need.
That looks like a really cool receiver. It has built-in matrix decoders to play back QS and SQ records. These matrix records do not require any special turntable or cartridge, just an ordinary two-channel stereo turntable/cartridge will do just fine.

To play back CD-4 records, you will need a KCD-4 plug-in module, if you do not already have one. The turntable will have to have low-capacitance (<100pF) arm wiring and interconnects. The cartridge will need to be capable of 45kHz. frequency response which means the stylus will need to be Shibata or other variation of line contact diamond. Also, you will need CD-4 (aka Quadradisc) records.

Back
Top Bottom