I Opted Out of Ebay Global Shipping Program

I once shipped a $7.50 packet of specialized precision washers to Italy. I tried to talk the buyer out of the sale, but he said he couldn't find them anywhere else. The postage and all that cost about $40, and once they hit Italy, tracking died. I never got a complaint, so I assume they were delivered. I said "no more".

Then I noticed quite a few of my obsolete Mercedes parts were getting shipped to an address in Florida - same street, but different box #. I looked into it, and it was a combination mail box/mail forwarder. Ends up they buyers were from Cuba or South America using that service to get the parts. From then on, whenever a foreign customer would ask about international shipping, I would give them the forwarder's number. They could sign up, get a US address, then get have their package sent to them. Once delivered to the address, my obligation is fulfilled. It eliminates returns, since THEY have to pay return shipping.

I'd say 85% of the people I sent to the service signed up and made the purchase. So far, no complaints or returns.

I did opt out of GSP a few months ago. Mostly I sell tubes on eBay. GSP was great for awhile.....then tubes I was selling overseas weren't being delivered because once they got to Kentucky, cutoms would confiscate the merchandise as "prohibited"! They (GSP) did fully refund the buyer and let me keep the money. It happened three different times, so I dropped out. It pained me to see some of the Premium tubes taken and who knows where they go. My sales did increase once I pulled out of GSP. They only Country that was problematic afterwards was Russia. I no longer sell there.

Just sold another part that is going to a freight forwarder in Florida. That must be the cheapest way since I see so much of it.

there have been several threads on US shipping overseas.

One Canadian was all postal (bad pun) about everything. then it came out that he refused to
pay extra. he didn't like the $9 for one ounce shipped to Canada (new rates - his government's
revenge for years of cheap rates to Canada and lower than inside the US).

didn't like the GSP even though in some bad circumstances, protects both buyer and seller.

then I suggested, that unless he lived at true north, find a post office on the US side closest
to him, ask about general delivery and have everything sent there or to some UPS store
on the US side.

no further input,. I suspect he was angry at the world for some minor/major/theoretical reason
and chose to kick the wife and kiss the dog.

I see a lot of this type of diverted proxy anger so sometimes it's not really about the issue at hand.

maybe I should ask about how many purchases/misses we talking about.... if there was one in
the last 5 years then we all get it....

Open another account.
Use the the new account for higher dollar items and do GSP.

I run 7 accounts.

I opened multiple accounts when bad buyers screwed up my account and Ebay dropped my limits.

Ebay and I are not friends.
I should open more accounts.

Screw feedback, screw non payers, set auto non-pay to lowest setting, let Ebay nag them and ding them.

I stopped dealing with BS from India and Russia and South Africa. If eBay GSP doesn’t handle the country, it’s because it’s a bad country with no secure delivery. That means they can claim non-delivery and you’re screwed.

If some retard from a bad country buys something, I just let it rot until Ebay dings the account and I relist. People from bad rarely pay and if they do, I cancel the sale.

I list.
You buy and pay or eBay nags.

I will answer one intelligent question.
The second question is a waste of time, no one buys after a second question.

I may bargain once or twice but after that it’s a waste of time. If you piss me off, I’ll raise the price.

I only got burned once with GSP.
Some ass wanted a return.
Wouldn’t cooperate on shipping damage because the box was undamaged.
I figured impact shock.
Ebay wouldn’t help because no box damage.

So now I damage the box before shipping.

I lose a few battles but I’m going to win the war.

Wow me & you have a lot in common!!

Me and ebay are also enemies because of bad buyers. Over the years I must have opened dozens of accounts and got immediately closed down.

Now I finally know how to fool ebay into thinking its not my account. Current account is 11 months old steady trading £10,000 a month selling limit.

With this account I registered at computer cafe, different IP address, different computer, new paypal, new email, new phone number, fake name and address. Is this what you do to avoid detection?

What are the chances this account will last next 12 months?

Any tips how to get straight back on after this one gets KO.

last 4 weeks I've done nearly £4K in sales plan to double or triple in next few months.

I sell hi fi.

eBay pissed on me, a few times. There are some buyers out there that are just a pain. The buyer protection system is "screw the seller, buyer is always right". They are starting to back off that a little but it's still a bitch.

I've had buyers steal parts, demand returns fo not-as-described even though it was exactly as described, demand returns because of trivial things that the description covered. Return things because their crap doesn't work and they blame your stuff. Return stuff and pack bad and stuff gets broken coming back.

You refund everything and pay return shipping. You lose all the postage.

FedEx claims work down at $100 or less . I never had a larger claim work.
USPS is getting to be difficult about claims.

99% things are fine and I sell a lot if crap and a lot of people are nice and happy.
1% are painful.

I do sell a LOT through GSP and get $$$ because off shore, stuff is harder to find and things the US doesn't value is worth more offshore, or even worth something the US doesn't even want.

I just pulled $600 out of a big Pioneer Quad that I probably would have to give away in the US for $100.
The buyer had to have paid over $800 to buy and ship.

A lot of stuff I ask top dollar or more, sells through GSP.

There is NO extra charge to use GSP.
It is actually cheaper to the buyer because eBay has made shipping deals.
I can ship to the forwarding place in KY for seriously dirt cheap.
And, it says "overnight" on the FedEx labels (!?!)

But, i just heard that off shore thinks GSP is a ripoff.
They don't know that it really is cheaper.
USPS is high, FedEx and UPS and others are insane.
I will need to add notes to my listings.

USPS will deliver things from China that cost a few dollars and are free shipping.
I can't send anything to anywhere offshore for under $20-$25.
Places like Germany, OMFG! $100 type thing.
Hell, I can't mail (USPS) anything NOT in a flat rate box cheaply IN the US anymore!
USPS keep jacking the price for "better service" and service continues to degrade.
I just lost a package to a another AK're, USPS says delivered, It's not there.
Now I file a claim and they refuse because "ITS DELIVERED"
BS, they abandoned it "somewhere", scanned it and left it.

Oh yeah. USPS pisses in my coffee too.

I just accepted an offer from a fool in Poland.
I refused once. I thought it was BS. You get those too.
They seem legit. I bet they won't pay to ship it to Poland.
I bet they freak and ask for cheaper "mail" option.
There isn't any.
I'll end up cancelling and relisting.

But, they may just actually pay and I'll get some broken crap out the door and help someone in Poland. I do bother to list broken crap like Nakamichi tape decks and CDP and Carver junk. CD players, VCRs, Quadraphonics, Sanyo gear, Panasonic at times. junky Realistic at times. Cool space age TVs, really old typewriters, "antique" home theater stuff, speaker parts from stuff you wouldn't bring home free.

Once in a while, a real one works. It costs them dearly, but they manage to get what they want or need.

I used to trash a lot of broken stuff before i found out there is some real money in parts for weird stuff off shore. You would NOT believe the crap I sell. I don't believe the crap I sell.

GSP is one of the best things about eBay.

This is why I don't buy audio gear on ebay anymore...

I got nothing against anyone in a S***hole country.
I would gladly sell to them.
But if they have no secure delivery system, there is no protection for me. They can claim non-delivery and eBay will force a full refund.

If a country has no secure mail system, it's a S***hole.

What countries are you referring to, brother?

What countries are you referring to, brother?

South Africa, Russia, etc...
Anywhere eBay won’t GSP to appears to have unsecure mailing. Even some European countries don’t have secure post.

If Ebay blacklists a country for shipping, you know it must have a problem. Ebay just wants money, that’s what business is for. Since buyers are a source of money and sellers are just junk jockeys, Ebay loves buyers. If Ebay won’t help ship to buyers in a country, it’s obvious that country has S***hole stratus. QED

It’s weird. Denmark is out but Brazil is in.
Brazil customs is a bitch. Stupid expensive and they have blocked vintage gear. !?!?

I opted out of GSP. For small items, the shipping cost to Kentucky AND the international shipping cost was too much for buyers. Another problem I encountered with GSP was that some buyers were not able to complete the transaction. Opting out allowed for international shipping preference to be set whereas with GSP, there were no choices. Not sure how much this was costing me in lost sales but we shall see what happens.

Another wish I have is for GSP to be an option for high dollar items where the added protection is a benefit.

Let me tell you how to do international shipping.

Rule number 1 - never give a buyer a shipping qoute of more than £27. Do you think a buyer will pay £70 shipping to buy a £100 item? No chance.

Your item price has to be £50 higher so you will incl abit of the international shipping price already.

With vintage used items there is no fixed price like there is with new items. For a Pioneer SX 434 in UK you can charge £70 - £150.

Let me tell you how to do international shipping.

Rule number 1 - never give a buyer a shipping qoute of more than £27. Do you think a buyer will pay £70 shipping to buy a £100 item? No chance.

Your item price has to be £50 higher so you will incl abit of the international shipping price already.

With vintage used items there is no fixed price like there is with new items. For a Pioneer SX 434 in UK you can charge £70 - £150.

I think GSP is only for ebay personsl sellers not ebay business sellers?

Any how I use InterParcel or ParcelHero.

I have yet to have an issue with GSP. Yeah, tracking is flaky and it can be nerve-wracking sometimes waiting a month for your item to get to it's destination, but all has gone well so far.

South Africa, Russia, etc...
Anywhere eBay won’t GSP to appears to have unsecure mailing. Even some European countries don’t have secure post.

If Ebay blacklists a country for shipping, you know it must have a problem. Ebay just wants money, that’s what business is for. Since buyers are a source of money and sellers are just junk jockeys, Ebay loves buyers. If Ebay won’t help ship to buyers in a country, it’s obvious that country has S***hole stratus. QED

It’s weird. Denmark is out but Brazil is in.
Brazil customs is a bitch. Stupid expensive and they have blocked vintage gear. !?!?

I understand that there are countries that may not have the same level of postal service as the U.S. but I don't think it's fair to categorize any country as a s-hole.

I got nothing against anyone in a S***hole country.
I would gladly sell to them.
But if they have no secure delivery system, there is no protection for me. They can claim non-delivery and eBay will force a full refund.

If a country has no secure mail system, it's a S***hole.

Last edited:
I stopped dealing with BS from India and Russia and South Africa. If eBay GSP doesn’t handle the country, it’s because it’s a bad country with no secure delivery.
Crooked postal workers in South Africa sell pouches of mail, unopened, for about US$300. The buyer, also crooked, may get nothing but worthless bills and letters — or may get cash, checks, jewelry, etc. A small percentage of total postal volume to be sure, but a well-known racket. No doubt in some other countries too.

Reading this thread with interest. I always turn off international shipping options. Just don't want to deal with it.

But I'm getting ready to sell a beautiful set consisting of a Marantz 2130 tuner and matching 1300DC integrated. They are the international models with selectable 110/120/220/240 voltage. As such, I have no doubt they would be of interest to international buyers. So considering using eBay GSP.

One hitch is that the 1300DC may sell for more than $2500 (hoping) which seems to be the upper limit of insurance.

There is an option on the bottom of the listing to offer global shipping. USPS global priority is the cheapest. You will need to do all the form BS. You can do it online and print it all out. Order customs pouch for the labels online at USPS too.

I think the only way it is cheaper for the buyer is if you don’t put real price on and slip through customs. I don’t think you can buy proper insurance AND lie about value. Good luck on that. Customs is one bunch of law enforcement you do not want to get on your case. They can pretty much do whatever and God help you to try and sort it out. There is almost NO changing their minds. My passport expired and I’m good with that. I never ever want to deal with customs agents again. Never, never, never, ever. I’m good right here in the USA.

Just on that bit where you mentioned not putting the real value price on the customs slip. Here in Australia we have to pay customs duty for items over Aus$1000. Say I purchase an item for Aus$5000 and have the seller mark its value as Aus$900 to avoid the duty. Is there anyway customs can see the original purchase price ?

Back
Top Bottom