Another dissapointment from another U.S. manufacturer: Schiit

Status
Not open for further replies.
How quickly would that $99 bargain dac become much more expensive if Schiit were to implement McIntosh type of customer service? There is a reason people spend the big bucks on equipment and quality of sound is only a part of it. Reliability and lifetime customer support is most of the rest.

I for one am glad that there are companies out there that focus on the low cost and high sq legs of the 3 legged chair. I likely cannot afford the initial cost of the expensive DACs, but knowing how the game works I risk failure and replacement over the alternative. The OP would do well to realize the very reality of the 3 legs of cost versus reliability/service versus performance that every product made is subject to. There simply is no way around this hard reality and no dac mfg is going to be substantially different in this regard on such a low budget product.

If service is more important, then plan on spending substantialy more money than $99.

For the OP of this thread, his Modi 2 was working with his PC, and then suddenly stopped working. He suspected the DAC was the problem, but if he has automatic updates enabled for Windows, that could be the source of his problems. Microsoft could have pushed a driver (or other SW) update that causes his PC to no longer recognize his DAC. Rather than just try a different PC, which may very well have the same problem, I'd suggest trying his Modi 2 with a Mac that would have a totally different OS than his PC. If it fails with the Mac, the problem most likely lies with the Modi 2. If it works with the Mac, Windows is to blame.
You said it before I could type it!

However I got what I paid for.

You got your amp fixed for free because there was one month left on your warranty, not because you spent $6000. Are you confident that Mac would have fixed it for free outside the warranty expiration date?
This is the second time in this thread you've directly assigned a monetary value to customer service. I'm not necessarily defending the OP on his expectation that his DAC should be fixed out of warranty, but you sound like you're saying spend more and you'll be treated right without regard to warranty. So my question is, how much should we expect to have to spend in order to get things fixed that fail just AFTER the warranty expired? Please let me know so I can start saving that exact amount in my bank account.

Last edited:
We need a dead horse emoji :D

:beerchug:

BeatingDeadHorse.gif

When a manufacturer says "I'm not going to do anything about this ongoing series of probelms with my product", what they are really saying is: "We are NOT a quality Audio company, in fact: we don't give a shit about our products or customer service!"

You put that last sentence in quotations marks, but I suspect it's not an actual quote from anyone who works for the manufacturer. Which makes me also suspect that the first quoted passage is also not a direct quote from the manufacturer.

Did someone from Schiit actually say either of those things, or is that just your interpretation of their response?

Don't know why I'm replying here as this should be dead already. But I am, so....

Products fail, that's what happens, it's life. You ever fail at anything before? Zero warranty is a difficult thing to achieve.

You have a contract (warranty) and they honor that, all is good. If products fail outside of warranty then it's on the consumer. It's in the contract that you agreed to when you purchased said item.

No need to bring price into this one. If their products fail just outside of warranty on a very regular basis, they will not be in business long in most likelihood.

Pretty simple concept all in all.

Let's move on to more productive conversation, eh??

My most recent encounter was with a Panasonic TV which went black and was less than a year out of warranty . After numerous calls and finally talking to the right person , I calmly reminded them (not my nature) that I had over the years purchased over 30 Panasonic and Technics products and when looking for my next product , Panasonic would be my first choice Unless something was not done to placate me .

I finally got Panasonic to help with the bill . They did not have to do it but , I will consider their brand when shopping the next time .

Don't know why I'm replying here as this should be dead already. But I am, so....

Products fail, that's what happens, it's life. You ever fail at anything before? Zero warranty is a difficult thing to achieve.

You have a contract (warranty) and they honor that, all is good. If products fail outside of warranty then it's on the consumer. It's in the contract that you agreed to when you purchased said item.

No need to bring price into this one. If their products fail just outside of warranty on a very regular basis, they will not be in business long in most likelihood.

Pretty simple concept all in all.

Let's move on to more productive conversation, eh??

And when reported on forums like this , it keeps consumers informed on what to expect .

My most recent encounter was with a Panasonic TV which went black and was less than a year out of warranty . After numerous calls and finally talking to the right person , I calmly reminded them (not my nature) that I had over the years purchased over 30 Panasonic and Technics products and when looking for my next product , Panasonic would be my first choice Unless something was not done to placate me .

I finally got Panasonic to help with the bill . They did not have to do it but , I will consider their brand when shopping the next time .
And that's fine, they made the choice to help you. However if they had not, would it have been righteous to go on a public forum and cry foul over it like the op did on this thread? I'll remind everyone that it still has not been determined that the dac really failed, and that the "known issue " the op quoted and sited was not the result of a failed component at all but the very Willie Nillie nature of the windows platform.

And that's fine, they made the choice to help you. However if they had not, would it have been righteous to go on a public forum and cry foul over it like the op did on this thread? I'll remind everyone that it still has not been determined that the dac really failed, and that the "known issue " the op quoted and sited was not the result of a failed component at all but the very Willie Nillie nature of the windows platform.
Ida wailed like a banshee ! (remember , calm not my nature)

More importantly , it reaffirmed my faith in Panasonic and I will consider them again .

It should be of good quality given the price. There is that old saying, which is quite applicable. You can have two out of three things. You can have cheap, you can have reliable, and you can have good sound. Which 2 of the 3 do you want. Because if you want reliable and good sound then its not cheap. If you want cheap and good sound, its quite possible that it will not be reliable.

In the automotive world, we say, you can have two of three: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap. Reliable and Cheap is not Fast. Etc.

Which is nothing actually. Let me pose a simple question; Which company would you rather do business with. One that does nothing for you after the warranty......or one that wants to work with you to find a way to make you happy, even if it something small like paying to ship the item back to you free after you paid for service?

Now I am not saying there is another side to this, BUT, people that think that even asking a company for some help with a product that has failed a somewhat reasonable time after the warranty is some sort of heresy are confusing to me. (sorry for the run on sentence) It NEVER hurts to ask, as one has nothing to lose at that point. It also never hurts to publicly post ones experience with a company. Who knows, just maybe sometime in the future a member of AK will get some help from a company like the one we are discussing.........maybe because they realize that good publicity is better than bad.

Agreed, but my disgracefully-expensive German car threw a minor snag at me, having to do with a tiny motorized interior part. I'm still covered by the extended warranty, which was also expensive, but that turns out to cover drivetrain issues mostly. The replacement cost for this little part is in the thousands. This tiny motorized part shouldn't even be motorized. But if it's broken it'll cost me the same few thousand on resale. So, a different perspective.

I could tell you a story about putting a three yr old, $1100 Maytag washer out to the curb, poorest customer service I've ever encountered. Should have quit after the first repair wasn't covered under the still in place warranty. I believe it was the pump, $150 if memory serves. The second the tub bearing, they offered to split the cost of the $5 part but the $200 in labor was on me, this after many phone conversations as I moved higher up the chain.

Replaced with a $400 Kenmore and never looked back.

Oh, did I neglect to mention the Maytag already had cancerous rust on the lid from lack of painting the inner rolled edge from the factory, on a washing machine.

Paying more does not mean getting better quality or customer service, it's treating customers with the golden rule, from a manufacturing standpoint all the way to dealing with any reliability issues that might arrise, it's not that difficult.

FWIW, I went the other way with the same brands. Sears was scandalous on warranty repairs--they had a phone tree when you called up. If you wanted a warranty repair the lead time was six weeks. To test it, I selected 'paid repairs' and the lead time was one day. The worst part was that each six weeks they'd fail to repair the unit properly and I'd have to wait another six weeks. Anyway, they're going out of business. Good riddance; that company was eviscerated by rapacious moneymen.

To simply ask for some consideration the warranty is up has nothing to do with being fair, it has to do with being smart. Now if it was 5 years after warranty was up, my expectations would not be high, but it never hurts to try.

Mercedes told me to pound sand, one month after the factory warranty ran out and only the extended warranty was in force. Simply not a covered item. This is a dealer where I've financed their second homes, kids' college educations and family vacations to Bali. This is a mfr to which I've donated a good chunk of my net worth. What can I say, I like nice cars (and this is only one of the brands I've favored). And yes, every bit of it was stupid. I won't be doing it any more. The crazy thing is that I had deliberately stepped down from the high-end models with their fiendish complexity into the middle range and still got burnt.

Apologies for the prolix nature of this post. I needed to vent and this is cheaper than therapy.

However if they had not, would it have been righteous to go on a public forum and cry foul over it like the op did on this thread?

Absolutely. Any experience one has with a company, good or bad, should be talked about. The posters can form their own conclusion on the merit of the rant, just like you did with the OP.

A smart move on both their and your part. Good on both of you.

Absolutely. Any experience one has with a company, good or bad, should be talked about. The posters can form their own conclusion on the merit of the rant, just like you did with the OP.

But would a good out come have been posted. I am probably a nahsayer on that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom