Record stores - new and improved?

Pretty much the case here where I live. When I couldn't find anything I wanted because every item I picked was full of scratches I was told by the owner that I must not be a true vinyl lover because as he stated, the pops and clicks are what make vinyl so good.

I hate those kinds of places. I have found that the most trustworthy places, for the most part, are those stores that don't just sell used records but also stock new reissues and newly released LPs.

Next time you are here drop me a line. Maybe we can meet up or you can stop by and we can spin some wax :)

Nashou

Great offer!!!

Since I’m rehabbing a knee replacement my travel has been cut. I should get back there by mid May. Let’s see what’s going on then.

We had a store here that you had to ask the price for records, every time I'd ask about a price I would get " oooohhhh that one is really rare so its going to be expensive" one was a moldy, water damaged, half a cover copy of rubber soul that looked like it was used as a dogs chew toy for $80 "but it's mono!"

Only thing to do is not go to places like this, let them go out of business. Find a good store to support and spend all your money there.

Just went to a newly opened record store here in the Buffalo NY area called Ricks Record Shack. He just started and I heard about it
from a few of my customers( I own a Diner ) . So Not only does he have a nice collection of used records he just began carrying
new . I picked up three records today. While chatting with him I new his parents and his sister use to work for me !

We talked about audio etc and he is just learning about hifi and Equipment and so forth.
weel I told him In my spare time I repair vintage gear so we might have a business deal
where he will throw some repair work my way. I get to come in and pick what I think is worth repairing etc.

So relation ships do mean a lot .

Here is what I got today

26537695048_4fb58cc42c_b.jpg

David Bowie was used but minty !!! Just a little dusty but the new sealed Evanescence was dustier than there used record !!!

Athanasios

Very nice, build the relationship and help him out and you'll be golden. The David Bowie, lets dance, look for RL in the dead wax by Masterdisc, that's the one you want.

Very nice, build the relationship and help him out and you'll be golden. The David Bowie, lets dance, look for RL in the dead wax by Masterdisc, that's the one you want.

Mine has the RL !!! Ok now the question.....What does that mean?

Athanasios

Robert Ludwig was the one that did the mastering for the record, he pretty much did all outstanding work on what he did. So you have the best SQ if the condition is good. When you see his initials in the dead wax on records you generally will have a good sounding copy.

Look for more titles

https://www.discogs.com/artist/271098-Bob-Ludwig
Sweet !! Thanks for the info !! This record is dead quite . More so than the other two NEW records I bought that same day.

Nashou

We have two "dedicated" record stores in the area and one that sells comics and records. I deal with one regularly. I'm there at least twice a week and purchase every time. Although I'm friends with the owner, the manager, and the new guy, I must say I've been put off by them a few times. Sometimes by pricing, sometimes by attitude.

Pricing example: A copy of a Cinderella "Night Songs" just came in. It's in great condition but, I don't think, it's in $25.99 condition. I bought 8 or 10 Hank Jr albums 2 weeks ago. Couldn't get all that I wanted and said I'd come back in a few days for the rest, which was agreed to. Showed up for the rest only to find a price increase on all but one. One went up $8. They're all still there.

Attitude/Pricing example: I like KISS. Judging by the KISS tattoo on my arm, I'd say I like them a lot. Generally, if they get KISS albums in I buy most, if not all, of them. The manager, who hates KISS, immediately puts a high price on any record from the make-up era. Another regular brought an album in for trade, KISS Killers, and specifically told them "Joel wants this". I was stoked. Go to pick it up and find out they sold it to someone else for more money than they priced it to me. Another instance. On a Thursday, they're holding some records (10) for me to pick up. On Friday, I showed up to get them and one was missing. I asked where the Journey album was and was told "Dude you can't hold that many records so I sold it to someone else".

I just got a call from a friend telling me about a new record store in the area. However, nothing is priced. You get the price when you get to the counter. I'll probably still check it out sometime this week.

Last edited:
The record store situation is not the best in my town, for sure. One, now closed, cleaned all incoming LPs with a red garage rag sprayed with Windex and I often found a record in the wrong sleeve. I had some consignment turntables that he sold and didn't pay me for. Another store had a great owner but he got busted by the cops and I didn't get paid for my Sansui and Dual turntables he was selling on consignment DESPITE my going into the store and telling the liquidators that the tables were mine (and I had the consignment receipt to prove it,) Of the two remaining stores, one has a good selection and a very attractive operator but outrageous prices and a "you can leave if you don't like it" attitude. The last is struggling despite a great selection at fair prices BUT the operator is a total grump and the store is filthy and cluttered and he bitches and moans to everybody about how bad business is.

Around here it seems to be split between hole in the wall shops that have limited inventory and high prices or chain stores like FYE that seem to have a very limited selection of pre-1980s music. I do much better at the thrifts and yard sales than I do at dedicated stores. CDs are drying up at the record stores so I'm taking advantage of the wealth of good titles at GW and Savers for $1.00-$2.00 each as people unload their collections.

I had a major haul at a library sale with a large amount of avant garde rock, jazz and world music priced at 3 for a $1.00.

We have two "dedicated" record stores in the area and one that sells comics and records. I deal with one regularly. I'm there at least twice a week and purchase every time. Although I'm friends with the owner, the manager, and the new guy, I must say I've been put off by them a few times. Sometimes by pricing, sometimes by attitude.

Pricing example: A copy of a Cinderella "Night Songs" just came in. It's in great condition but, I don't think, it's in $25.99 condition. I bought 8 or 10 Hank Jr albums 2 weeks ago. Couldn't get all that I wanted and said I'd come back in a few days for the rest, which was agreed to. Showed up for the rest only to find a price increase on all but one. One went up $8. They're all still there.

Attitude/Pricing example: I like KISS. Judging by the KISS tattoo on my arm, I'd say I like them a lot. Generally, if they get KISS albums in I buy most, if not all, of them. The manager, who hates KISS, immediately puts a high price on any record from the make-up era. Another regular brought an album in for trade, KISS Killers, and specifically told them "Joel wants this". I was stoked. Go to pick it up and find out the sold it to someone else for more money than they priced it to me. Another instance. On a Thursday, they holding some records (10) for me to pick up. On Friday, I showed up to get them and one was missing. I asked where the Journey album was and was told "Dude you can't hold that many records so I sold it to someone else".

I just got a call from a friend telling me about a new record store in the area. However, nothing is priced. You get the price when you get to the counter. I'll probably still check it out sometime this week.

You are a better man than me because I would have stopped going to that place after one of those things happening.....wait.... I just reread that fist sentence. You are "friends" with these guys?!? I'd suggest to stop going in for a while, hit them where it hurts, remind them you spend money there and if they are going to be a$$holes then you can find anther place to spend said money!

A quick story, I ride motorcycles, every wednesday a pretty large group of us meet up and bar hop. As you can imagine , bartenders love it when 20-30 bikers walk in looking for cold beers. One night a "friend" who bar tends was being a real b!tch, I told her she was on a three week suspension. We wouldnt be coming back for three weeks or until she adjusted her attitude. The next week I got the usual tuesday text " you guys coming out tomorrow night?" " nope, three week boycott in full effect" long story short, the whole crew didnt go in for three weeks, when we did go back she was all smiles, totally different attitude and I drank free all night.

It started off as a joke but it taught her a valuable lesson, if you want our money you better not act like an a$$. I think your "friends" might need to learn the same lesson.

Attitude/Pricing example: I like KISS. Judging by the KISS tattoo on my arm, I'd say I like them a lot. Generally, if they get KISS albums in I buy most, if not all, of them. The manager, who hates KISS, immediately puts a high price on any record from the make-up era. Another regular brought an album in for trade, KISS Killers, and specifically told them "Joel wants this". I was stoked. Go to pick it up and find out the sold it to someone else for more money than they priced it to me. Another instance. On a Thursday, they holding some records (10) for me to pick up. On Friday, I showed up to get them and one was missing. I asked where the Journey album was and was told "Dude you can't hold that many records so I sold it to someone else".

I hate to think how they would treat you if you weren't friends with them.

I feel like I should clarify the "attitude" that I mentioned. It's more of a "looking down the nose" than anything. For example, "if you want Journey get the first 3 albums. They sucked after that" and "Don't waste money on a KISS album, you should buy this Zappa album instead."

I hate to think how they would treat you if you weren't friends with them.

True. I admit though, the new guy tips me off if anything comes in that I might be interested in. I've decided to only go in when he's the only one working.

Back
Top Bottom