Another dissapointment from another U.S. manufacturer: Schiit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really???

I am pretty sure with others peoples track record with Schitt all I learned is someone’s didn’t get thier way and ranted on social media.

If I am wrong I apologize. But if I do that, and I do. I either delete it or man up.
The only rant I see is ^^^ .

I thought the OP was fine .

All good brother, not really a rant. Just what I learned. I hope I am wrong, Intent always comes out of the keyboard wrong. Most of the time.

Edit: and I was in deleting in when you responded because I read it and thought same thing you did.

But that got my point across

All good brother, not really a rant. Just what I learned. I hope I am wrong, Intent always comes out of the keyboard wrong. Most of the time.

Edit: and I was in deleting in when you responded because I read it and thought same thing you did.

But that got my point across
sweet

I'd say the OP had a pretty strong rant....about how Schitt told him "tough luck", but that's not really even an accurate account. And then goes on to say he'll never by another one. That's about as strong a rant/statement as you can make regarding a product and company.

I'm 0-for-2 with my USA-made stuff lately; this time it's Schiit Audio. April 2015 I bought a new Modi 2 DAC. It took a shit, it's no longer usable, and Schiit says "tough luck". 2-year warranty and my unit made it 2 years and 10 months. I will never buy another Schiit product!
I ordered a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100... we'll see how long it lasts!
As far as rants go , I think it was pretty mild . Agree to disagree .

As far as rants go , I think it was pretty mild . Agree to disagree .
Not so much.. Had there actually been a "known issue" it might have had merit, but this was just sour grapes and lashing out in a public forum.. Fine, he has the right, but needs to accept there will be flak back at him too.. I think he realizes it now, and I do indeed hope he is happy with the Cambridge Audio DAC. They make good stuff too (I own some) and hopefully for his sake and CA's nothing ever EVER goes wrong with that DAC!

So on the subject of Windows and the Schiit Modi, I have a question to pose here. I run my original Modi just for YouTube, and streaming from my Win10 machine while my Modi Multibit stays hooked up to the Raspberry Pi3 exclusively. A while back, maybe 3 or so months ago ago Windows started not being able to find my first gen Modi. Plugged in, and its power lamp lit, but nothing was shown in windows. I had the Modi plugged into a self powered USB hub, and when I unplugged it and plugged it direct into the PC's USB windows instantly saw it and it plays fine.

So to the question. Would this be an issue for Schiit? Or Microsoft? If it is Schiit, I am going to really be pissed at that company and smear their name all over! (kidding). I am wondering however if something like this could be the OP's issue, Windows and not his Modi. Keep in mind my Modi ran for several years with a powered hub before suddenly not working..

In the OPs defense. My original Fulla still works great with W10, just upgraded to it, so software? Still a maybe. But it is only ever plugged in to the same USB port on the same laptop since new. Not a long chain of hardware and WIFI and different updates. Which the way I understand it from a little reading is an issue.
:idea:

Of course total speculation on my part!!
Edit: a fixable issue

Last edited:
We learn about possible problems with a certain product and we learn about a companies customer relations . I know I did .

Learn from me then:
I purchased a Schiit Saga preamp. Got it. Set it up... horrible distortion/buzz from it. Figured it was a bad Russian 6SN7 Tube, swapped in one of mine. Confirmed it was a bad tube which was included. Emailed Schiit, they apologize and sent me out a new tube free of charge and I had it in 3 Days.

Their customer service kicks ass.

I’ve owned from Schiit:

• Bifrost. Later sent in and upgraded to Uber.
• Bifrost #2 purchased used and sent in and upgraded to Multibit (still working perfectly in a 2nd system.
• Origial Modi. Never had a problem. Sold.
• Modi Multibit. Never had a problem. Sold.
• Saga Preamp. Had a bad tube above. Fixed. Sold to a friend and it’s working perfectly.

Even if Schiit was going to warranty a product, I wouldn’t expect them to pay for shipping to them. Anytime I’ve sent anything for warranty or repair to any company I assume I’d at least have to pay to ship it to them. Well, I guess Apple has sent me calltags.

There are far more people in this long-ass thread like me saying they’ve had a good customer service experience with Schiit than not. So learn that.

- Woody

Learn from me then:
I purchased a Schiit Saga preamp. Got it. Set it up... horrible distortion/buzz from it. Figured it was a bad Russian 6SN7 Tube, swapped in one of mine. Confirmed it was a bad tube which was included. Emailed Schiit, they apologize and sent me out a new tube free of charge and I had it in 3 Days.

I’ve owned from Schiit:

• Bifrost #2 purchased used and sent in and upgraded to Multibit (still working perfectly in a 2nd system.
• Saga Preamp. Had a bad tube above. Fixed. Sold to a friend and it’s working perfectly.

Even if Schiit was going to warranty a product, I wouldn’t expect them to pay for shipping to them. Anytime I’ve sent anything for warranty or repair to any company I assume I’d at least have to pay to ship it to them. Well, I guess Apple has sent me calltags.

There are far more people in this long-ass thread like me saying they’ve had a good customer service experience with Schiit than not. So learn that.

- Woody

But you really haven't seen how they react when you have a problem out of warranty. They replaced a bad tube they sent you - any reasonable company would on a product that was just shipped out.

You've had multiple products that haven't failed during the time you had them. Not too rare, esp if you haven't had them for many years.

I have nothing against Schiit at all and have a Bifrost Uber and two Sys units myself and like them.

But I didn't learn anything substantial from your post. I would have learned more if you had an issue that required some discretion and judgment on their part.

But you really haven't seen how they react when you have a problem out of warranty. They replaced a bad tube they sent you - any reasonable company would on a product that was just shipped out.

You've had multiple products that haven't failed during the time you had them. Not too rare, esp if you haven't had them for many years.

I have nothing against Schiit at all and have a Bifrost Uber and two Sys units myself and like them.

But I didn't learn anything substantial from your post. I would have learned more if you had an issue that required some discretion and judgment on their part.

If I had a problem outside of warranty I wouldn’t expect them to do anything.

I was just replying to Zebra03 that I had actually owned a lot of their products and I had actually dealt with their customer service. Something many people in this thread can’t claim.

He said he learned about how their customer service acts from this thread. I was just providing a counterpoint to the “fact” that they must have terrible customer service cause he read a thread on the internet.

- Woody

I was just replying to Zebra03 that I had actually owned a lot of their products and I had actually dealt with their customer service. Something many people in this thread can’t claim.

He said he learned about how their customer service acts from this thread. I was just providing a counterpoint to the “fact” that they must have terrible customer service cause he read a thread on the internet.

- Woody

Thanks for clarifying Woody.

If I purchase anything and the warranty expires, I don't expect anything except that I'm out of luck. Don't get me wrong, I'll still see if I can get serviced for free. But I won't get upset if they don't service it for free because the warranty is expired.
I agree that a company may gain additional customer loyalty if they honor expired warranties, but I won't necessarily ban the company off of a single product if I don't know the reason for the failure, as is the case with this Modi.
We're looking at this the wrong way. The problem with the Modi is most probably related to Windows and not the Modi. Why doesn't the OP just rip Microsoft and swear off of PC's for good? He can go strictly Apple and enjoy his Modi for years to come.
I still challenge @909Hemi to place the Modi on BT and let one of us have at it.

Last edited:
Learn from me then:

I’ve owned from Schiit:

- Woody
Oh , your post taught me plenty about you . :rolleyes:

Every experience counts . The good and the bad .

- Woody
I wonder about a person who "thinks" their experience trumps all others . OP had a bad one . Yours is good . Tone down the nasty . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom