Pioneer PL 630 Restoration/Repairs

DaleA

Hello All:

I have a Pioneer PL 630 that I recently bought off of e-Bay, which I love the sound quality.

It recently has had speed control issues, as well as automatic tonearm issues. So, I would like to get repairs or a full restoration.

Does anybody know of a reputable person who works with Pioneer turntables near the Los Angeles, CA, area?

Thank you!

There is an AK thread that gives you all the info you need. The thread was done by member and super mod, pustelniakr and is very detailed. It might even be a sticky thread under the turntable forum. If it is not, do a search under PL 630. I'm sure it will show up. It is a great turntable and I hope you get it squared away.

There is an AK thread that gives you all the info you need. The thread was done by member and super mod, pustelniakr and is very detailed. It might even be a sticky thread under the turntable forum. If it is not, do a search under PL 630. I'm sure it will show up. It is a great turntable and I hope you get it squared away.
Here you go: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/restoring-a-pioneer-pl-630-turntable.92333/

Your problems are likely due to a bad tonearm belt and dirty user controls (quartz lock), speed, and pitch. Replace the tonearm belt (read the referenced thread), and slowly actuate the referenced controls 100 times each. If the speed issues improved, DeOxit those controls and you should be good.

Good luck,
Rich P

Ok, thanks for the replies! I’ll give it a try.

I read your thread, Rich, but I don’t know if I can do the repair myself.

Sometimes the Turntable plays at a high speed, or seems to change spinning direction, and I have to turn on/off the auto setting.

Again, thank you fellow AKers

Sorry. Your symptoms indicate that you will need a proprietary integrated circuit, likely the oscillator chip. These have not been made for decades. Your tech will not be able to repair the unit without the chip. There are a couple of folks on eBay that buy these units and break them up for parts. This is just about the only place to get the part(s) you will likely need.

Good luck,
Rich P

Sorry. Your symptoms indicate that you will need a proprietary integrated circuit, likely the oscillator chip. These have not been made for decades. Your tech will not be able to repair the unit without the chip. There are a couple of folks on eBay that buy these units and break them up for parts. This is just about the only place to get the part(s) you will likely need.

Good luck,
Rich P

I found a donor PL 630. The vendor said the speed is good. The only problem is the auto function does not work. It operates manually, with with quartz lock or without. $279. Will that possibly be helpful?

Thank you.

Sounds to me like you could make one good one from the two. You should be able to get an oscillator board from a donor for around $45, if you are patient. Remember, shipping these puppies is risky. The donor you describe sounds like it may need only a tonearm belt. There may be more wrong with it, so "you pays your money, you takes your chances."

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yeah, I know what you mean. My current Turntable I bought off of eBay now needs an unobtanium oscillator. :(

I guess I’ll keep looking.

Thank you!

No. That is a power supply. I'm not sure that you need the chip I mentioned, or if an oscillator board put up for sale will have a functioning chip. Generally, when I see your symptoms, that is the case. To verify the need for an oscillator chip, you will need a service manual and an oscilloscope. It is not likely that a local tech will be able to repair your table without those items. Then, if you buy an oscillator board, you will be taking a calculated risk that the chip on it will be good. If I remember correctly, the seller in question is looking for the same chip that you are.

Personally, I would want to verify that the chip is bad before buying a replacement. It is not too hard to do, if you understand the chip, and have the right test equipment. You, as an end user, are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. Sorry. You will likely want to have the chip before handing the unit to a tech, otherwise it will sit on his shelves until a chip comes up, if needed.

Patience is your friend. They come up now and then, but not very often.

Good luck,
Rich P

Well, I had my Turntable repaired. The speed control is fine now, but now the Turntable makes a loud popping sound. It occurs during playing vinyl, when standing still with power on, and when power off and still connected to the phono jack in the receiver.

I tried another Turntable on the same receiver, and There is a slight hum, and static noise when moving the tonearm to and from the platter.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi Rich:

Parts that were replaced:

18v zener diode

470 uf 25 v capacitor 105 degree

470 uf 50 v capacitor 105 degree

100 uf 35 vcapacitor 105 degree

100 uf 25 v capacitor 105 degree

That’s all that was listed on the invoice.

Thank you, sir...

Nothing jumps out, unless a cap was put in backwards. That still does not account for any popping noises. From the cart to the phono preamp, there is no circuitry, except wires. I got nothing.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom