The Birth of the EconoWave,10 years ago. Post your pics.

Katalyst

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Tomorrow is the 10 year anniversary of the EconoWave. Please post your pictures and the schematic used to make them. Zilch ,GordenW, jackgiff and many others showed the way to affordable speakers. Here is mine to start the thread off. Let's prove the e'wave is not dead.

Attachments

• Grill ON small.jpg
    Grill ON small.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Grill Off small.jpg
    Grill Off small.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 372
  • KDT Schematic.JPG
    KDT Schematic.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 312
Ive build six very different versions and all sounded great. Ill try to find pix.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....esign-collaborative-econowave-speaker.150939/
This thread represents a paradigm shift in approaching DIY two-way speaker design. The HF section is conceived as a module or building-block which may be mated with an appropriate LF section either built within the LF enclosure or sitting atop one, standing alone or packaged in its own box, a model commonly used in portable sound reinforcement gear.

It will work with virtually any woofer(s) capable of playing competently up into a crossover region of 1.2 kHz or above. The overall sound of the complete system will depend largely upon the characteristics of the LF module, which is playing both bass and lower midrange, and how well the two integrate with each other.

So, the answer is look to the response characterisics of the LF section with the HF being essentially fixed. It will mate with high- and low-efficiency woofers alike as the sensitivity of the compression driver is quite high, and only minimal compensation, which consumes some of that, is required for it to play essentially flat out to 20 kHz. An L-Pad on a passive crossover or the gain setting on an active one establishes the HF/LF balance of the overall system....

Thanks! Thats a lot of reading in that thread! A well thought out 2 way design with horn loaded compression driver - I like it! Bob

Some day, when I stumble across the right cabs, at the right price, I will build a pair of these.

Since my Forte originals have beat cabinets, would they be good candidates for this? Or best to just build new cabinets?

Thanks for the clarification.

Pull the horns out, mount on top, and play.

Pull the horns out, mount on top, and play.
Use the recommended waveguides .Leave the existing mids and tweets in the cabinet to seal it up. Disconnect the tweeter and midrange inside the cabinet. If you only build the top part of the econowave crossover ,run the woofer full range. If you like the sound then you are into cutting baffle to mount the e'wave horn.

More pictures and schematics Please. Here are some pictures I collected of other peoples builds.

Attachments

• 20170917_200105.jpg
    20170917_200105.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 2011 Mar 03 012resized.JPG
    2011 Mar 03 012resized.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Finished PE Cabinet econo.jpg
    Finished PE Cabinet econo.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG