Great Educational Movies

travellersol

I am a college teacher in an Asia country, I'd like to show some good movies to our freshmen early in their first term which is coming soon. The kind of movies that I have in mind are like Dead Poets Society and The Emperor's Club, movies that inspire young minds for greater goals and meanings in life rather than just pursuing a paper cert to make money. If you know of any, please share it here. Thanks a lot.

I guess it depends on what you want to teach the students from the films--a history lesson, a motivational lesson, and what is the "age appropriate" content of the films.

haha..... yeah guys I have watched most of those films listed above, and, most of them are great. But I think I'll have to narrow down the scope. These kids all know where to find movies online-old or new, not a problem for them. The kind of movies that I want to select should be happening in a college/university, about what they should look for in their 4 years of student lives, along the lines of Dead Poets Society and The Emperor's Club.

Last edited:
I want to select should be happening in a college/university, about what they should look for in their 4 years of student lives, along the lines of Dead Poets Society and The Emperor's Club.

DPS is an obvious choice. My other thoughts are probably ridiculous, but Animal House and Steel Magnolias cone to mind. Along with Breakfast Club. I know--all cheezy schlock, but relevant. One movie that I think everyone should see in their lifetime is And The Band Played On--based on the book by Randy Shilts.

Thank you guys, I thought i'd known most but you have opened my eyes, some of the above mentioned films I have never heard of. It does pay to ask...... :) I'll go through them soon. Anymore?

"Goodbye Mr. Chips" - ( the original is from 1939 in B&W but I'd go with the 1969 remake )

"All Quiet on The Western Front" - ( also a remake and required reading in many US high schools ) After watching the movie read them the poem "Flanders Field"

"To Kill A Mockingbird" - ( great lessons taught )

Back
Top Bottom