FM Tuning moving off center

Mac4100HK930

I like the pretty tones!
I was just curious if the the fm tuning meter moving off center over a period of a few hours is the station or the tuner itself. This is on a 2285. The signal strength stays the same but again the fm tuning meter goes of center. Thanks

I was just curious if the the fm tuning meter moving off center over a period of a few hours is the station or the tuner itself. This is on a 2285. The signal strength stays the same but again the fm tuning meter goes of center. Thanks
I just sold a 2245 that even though the strength meter never got above 50% the tuning meter never drifted. The strength meter on the 2285 on good channels is at about 80%

It's the tuner. My recently revived 4270 does the same thing. I'd take it back to tech but he's probably sick of it, this one has been a slog. I may just do a full recap on it before bothering him again now that it's functional.

The tuners in these old beasts are all analog with no AFC. It shouldn't drift much but you may be expecting too much if you want the tuning meter to remain rock steady for hours/days/weeks.
If it drifts wildly, cleaning the tuning mechanism usually helps.

Tom

The tuners in these old beasts are all analog with no AFC. It shouldn't drift much but you may be expecting too much if you want the tuning meter to remain rock steady for hours/days/weeks.
If it drifts wildly, cleaning the tuning mechanism usually helps.

Tom

I just got it back from Aaron and I am testing it by leaving it on from 7am this morning till I get home at 6 tonight. This was probably used in a smoking environment so cleaning would surely help. It is a wonderful sounding beast I must say. Thanks for the reply.

I would like to update. The problem of the tuning meter moving off center has resolved itself. I got the receiver back 4 days ago from the tech. After noting the problem of the tuning meter moving off center after a couple of hours of fm use and then reading the replies here, I decided to let it run for an extended period to see how far off station the tuner would go. I turned the receiver on in the morning yesterday and had my wife send me a pic of the meter at around noon. It had moved a few millimeters to the right. It was documented with the picture which I compared to it's state when I came home in the evening. It had not moved from the position in my wife's picture. I decided to center it and come back after 3 hours. It was stil centered. So I left it on all night and this morning it was still centered. The tech had sprayed the tuning mechanism with deoxcit. So I am speculating that the extended play caused any excess to evaporate and allow better function. The meter has stayed centered now for over 15 hours. Just happy that the tuner now is rock solid. Oh and it sounds good also. Plenty of detail, separation, soundstage and dynamics. Thoughts? Thanks again for the previous replies.

BTW, Aaron, if I ever get my 3 receivers back from Mr. Schumacher's blue light special bin, you will be having more restoration business coming your way!

Back
Top Bottom