EPI Model 500 Towers, Free!

bigcaddy64

So I just ran out on a pizza and beer run with the neighbors and happened to spot something sitting by a dumpster in the alley.

I searched the name while awaiting my order and then ran back to load them into my truck. I'm guessing they were tossed due to rotted surrounds but I figured it's just more practice for me so why not.

Were these highly regarded speakers in their time?

Attachments

• IMG_6506.JPG
    IMG_6506.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6507.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6508.JPG
    IMG_6508.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 168
Really? I had no idea. It looks like they will need new surrounds on the woofers and mids as well as some serious attention to the voice coil alignment on both. One seems frozen and the other has broken the glue bond from the spider

Human Speakers may have replacement drivers, if needed.

Those are very nice performers. I have A500s, and regard them highly, right up next to my AR9s.

There will be some regular nay-sayers along directly. Take their input with a grain of salt.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Part of the EPI magic is a 2 way design with simple crossover, that's not what you have here. However you do have a pair of classic "gold ring" EPI inverted dome tweeters, so without actually knowing, I am going to guess that those still are going to be very nice speakers indeed when you get them foamed up.

Human Speakers may have replacement drivers, if needed.

Those are very nice performers. I have A500s, and regard them highly, right up next to my AR9s.

There will be some regular nay-sayers along directly. Take their input with a grain of salt.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I second this idea. Just checked and drivers are indeed available. Awesome score

Weren't the side drivers passive radiators, if I remember correctly? They still look good. So, I hope you get the active drivers sorted out. It sounds like you will. Good luck and congratulations. :biggrin:

Part of the EPI magic is a 2 way design with simple crossover, that's not what you have here.
This is true about the Epicure magic, but if one wanted a bigger more powerful speaker they resorted to multiple sets of the 2-way design 400+ and 1000 with 4 sets or some with just two sets or adding a passive radiator as on these and the Epicure 14 and 15 models. These look to be some of the early moves to a larger woofer and addition of a midrange. A good step in my opinion.
@bigcaddy64 keep us posted on these.

I would really like to hear the larger EPI's. I have the little M50's and love their sound. Congrats on the great find!

I've had two sets of EPIs given to me, and I have passed both on, to people I know will appreciate them.

That inverted tweeter is a real gem. Usually it is paired with the 8" woofer, with minimal crossover electronics, I hear, as the units were very well matched. At any rate, it is a sweet tweeter that is detailed while never causing ear fatigue.

Congrats on the score!

Well, i've mulled the decision over a bit and have decided to proceed with a rebuild/mild restoration. The cabinets will receive a light scuffing/stain and the vinyl will get cleaned and the crossovers will get recapped.

I'm usually up to the task when it comes to refoaming but the mids kind of make me nervous. I've read that they dont have a spider so centering them sounds risky as well as the fact that they are an odd size and require trimming. Has anybody on her attempted this at home? Can you share your tips so i don't have to go forward blindly.

As for the woofers, ill have them rebuilt by Human. Again, re foaming isn't hard but due to the age of these, the joint between the VC and spider has broken and they won't reseat properly for a quick repair. I have no idea how much "damage" has occurred internally so off they go. I'd like to keep the original frames but the "trade required" at Human Speaker has me thinking. Do they actually rebuild the speakers i send in or will they have a freshly rebuilt set to swap out like a core for batteries or alternators?

Congratulations. A wise choice. But, if Human is doing the woofers, why not have them do the mids too? :idea:

Well thats a good point but, without bringing value into the discussion, i plan to let these go eventually. I don't have the room at the moment and won't in for foreseeable future

I'd hate to take a loss on selling something found by a dumpster. Having Human do the work sounds great but its going to push the cost of initial investment way up. I don't mind spending money on them as long as i get to perform the work (an education is never free) which is why i grabbed them in the first place. I figured i could redo the surrounds and have a nice set of speakers a neighbor might want, all for the cost of the surrounds. If i pay somebody else to do the work, i've really learned nothing and the price goes way up.

Back
Top Bottom